Large Marge: The New Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Marge: The New Adventures

As some of you may know, I recently bought the wagon known as Large Marge (an 89 Colony Park) off of Scott (lincolnmania). Technically my mom did, its her car, but I'll be doing all the work on it and using it as a driver and work vehicle! Anyway I wanted to start this thread to show all I'm doing to it, when I get more time later I'll make another post!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Jealous.

Wagons are the bees knees.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ok now that I have some time to write and post pictures... the original Large Marge RR thread can be found here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ht=large+marge

I've only been driving this wagon the past couple of days but I already love it...I'm not used to DDing a car with power and comfort features, my other two rides are base models. Here are some pictures of her as she sits now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1282264Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.jpg
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1282265Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1282266Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432-1.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1282267

I've begun trying to bring the paint up the best I can with a clay bar, light compound (swirl remover), and cleaner wax. I plan on putting a more permanent coating on it to slow the clear coat failure down (see optimum gloss coat). It will look good overall for it's age when i'm done, I just hope to slow down the degradation of the paint, trim, and vinyl wood as best I can, using the best products I can.

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1282268

Now for the fun part. Improvements and upgrades!

She runs and drives well as is, but there's always room for improvement. A list of things I intend to replace fairly soon:

+Rear shocks (KYB GR-2's) and springs (wagon coils) (old ones have a spacer and are sedan coils)
      +Front shocks (KYB GR-2 police) (the one barfed all over the driveway, lol.
      +Big brake swap up front (scott supplied most of the parts needed)
      +New rear brakes and pads (I'm picky with my pad selection and the rear rotors are warped)
      +Valve Cover Gaskets
      +Rear tranny tailshaft seal
      +Drivers door lock actuator
      +tailgate window motor
      +sway bar bushing

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	1282270

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1282269

A few things I will probably address/upgrade in the future:

+new rear 6X9 speakers
      +aluminum driveshaft
      +Baumann shift kit
      +rust removal and a bit of body work (not planning on a re-paint just want to halt the rust)
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Transmission tail seal should be in the glove box already. I'd also highly suggest a new support bushing for the slip-yoke, since you'll be there anyways. Combine this work with the Baumann kit install, for minimal mess.

Does she seem to have enough power and get-up-and-go for your needs?
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I saw the seal, and I actually ordered a new support bushing and seal for it anyway ($5 combo closeout!) although there doesn't seem to be any play at the yoke.

She's got plenty of get-up and go, keeps up with traffic just fine. Classic LOPO doesnt have much up top, and better quality shifts would help too. You guys adjusted the AOD TV perfectly, it shifts right where it needs to.

Do wagons have 20 gallon gas tanks like my LTD? It was half way between empty and 1/4 tank and it only took 10 gallons to fill it up.
          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

i think they're 18. Possible the sender arm is a little tweaked. Some things have the super pessimist gauge, my car is completely the opposite. 1/2 tank is 10 gallons, E is "put on your walking shoes", but it takes 60 miles after a fill-up for the gauge to finally get down to F.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah it's smaller than 20, not sure the exact number tho. Let's go with Gadget's suggestion for 18 gallons.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Glad large marge found a good home. Now it would seem that we are parallel in the universe somehow. Brown 82 sedans and burgundy later box wagons. Hmmm.

Same experience on your fuel gauge is my 88. From 1/8 to over full on the gauge is 12-13 gallons for me. I have gotten 14 gallons in before on the low fuel light. The tank is fat up top, skinny in the middle, and fat at the bottom. I think it would run on e for a long time but I don't want to push luck with my original fuel pump. And I think it's 18.5 gallons in my Owners manual. Also some gas pumps that really throw out the volume will kick off before it's full.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The fuel gauges in the older boxes were always kinda wonky. The 87, 88 Fords and two 89 Mercurys I had years ago had fat tops and bottoms with skinny between F and E. The current Lincoln always had a really fat top, like the needle went waay up past F (perfectly vertical) and wouldn't come down to F until about 100 km (60 miles) of driving, then drop kinda fast, being pretty well empty after 300 km (200 miles) city or about 500 km (300 miles) highway.
                  Now with the FUBAR sending unit, it stays waaay up past full in it's fully erect position until almost 300 km (200 miles) then falls flat on its face to E after a little bit of hunting around, at which time I need to find a gas pump NOW.
                  And it hasn't been easy to find a sending unit for this car. 11 years of ownership, last three years of serious searching have come up with nothing. I *should* have changed the fuel tank to the single pump/sending unit type when I parted out a 92 Lincoln, those single sending units are a lot easier to obtain.
                  And with your thread successfully jacked, I'm not normally a fan of wagons but I like that car. I think it's the colour that does it for me...burgundy always looked so regal on a Mercury.
                  Enjoy the ride.
                  Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                  Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That is a sexy beast and Newfie is right, the color really makes it. Hope she stays good for you and you get a lot of enjoyment out of her. Every time I see a nice wagon I get the bug for a while. Typically all the ones I see for sale are total beaters so it cures me.

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                      The current Lincoln always had a really fat top, like the needle went waay up past F (perfectly vertical) and wouldn't come down to F until about 100 km (60 miles) of driving, then drop kinda fast, being pretty well empty after 300 km (200 miles) city or about 500 km (300 miles) highway.
                      Interesting. i always figured mine was screwed up but thats precisely how it behaves. Maybe its just a Lincoln thing. Same tank and sender as the other cars though so I don't know why it would be different unless the gauge itself is just different enough to affect it.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

Edit previous post. Checked Owners manual and it's 18gal. Not that it's that much difference from 18.5. Never doubt the Gadget or HRG lol.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

that was half guess from fuzzy memory of someone mentioning it in the past. I'm definitely not a walking wagon encyclopedia.

Comment

It's probably tweaked. it went to F, and not a hair farther. My other cars it goes way past F. I drove it and it seems to go down faster than others too (the gauge that is).

I replaced the rear coils, sits better now, the rear shocks were actually good (GAS-A-JUSTS), so i'll leave them in there. Another thing i'm going to add that i forgot to mention: Cats. The fumes are giving me a headache.

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	1282272
                            Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 09-13-2017, 07:49 PM.
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

That's cause the rear shocks are recent, went on last year IIRC, at the time the rear discs happened. Side picture of car sitting on new coils pls?

Comment

Working...
                              X