No announcement yet.

Large Marge: The New Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At Johns suggestion I grounded the green side to see if it would activate it, nothing happened. The vent is constantly pulling in air, John knew to cover it to see if the EGR activated, so i'm not sure what to believe...lol It doesn't appear that the lines are crossed. Since grounding that wire didn't cause it to go full on, I have to assume the EVR is bad
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

probably. if you've got another, swap it and see if anything changes.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Problem solved. No more codes other than the AIR codes. woohoo. Both the EVR AND EGR position sensor were bad. position sensor was reading .98, and the EVR was stuck. Swapped the mavericks EGR onto it, reading .45 now, and passes the tests.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

I replaced the end links in Large Marge tonight, she seems to respond to sudden turns better and is a little flatter in cornering maneuvers, I already replaced the sway bar bushings at Nicks. The old end links were cracked and spongy. New ones are Poly. With new rear shocks it should handle even better, and ride a little nicer (going from Gas-adjusts to GR-2's) TOO MANY POTHOLES around here for gas adjusts. Feels like i'm riding in the suspension tests they put the cars under with all the bumps.
          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

After almost T-boneing a minivan that made an illegal left turn across two lanes of traffic due to insufficient brakes, i decided to start the big brake swap. I guess you could say that rotor wasnt getting full contact with the pad.... a small amount of rust on this one!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	1282445Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1282446Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	1282447
            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Yeah that's actually normal for the inboard side of rotors to get like that on vehicle that sit a lot. Rarely happens on the outboard side tho. Never quite figured out why this problem is so imbalanced, but I do know it's worse when the dust shields are missing from the knuckles - which is obviously not an issue with your old brakes, but you probably wanna make sure the new knuckles have said shields.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

This is as far as I got today
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1282448Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0848.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1282449Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0849.jpg
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1282450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1282451

...mostly together. I ran into some issues. For one I did not realize the brake lines for the big brakes were not a double flare...but a bubble flare, I had already installed a new end ASSuming that it would be like every other american car on the road... So i have to get a bubble flare kit and redo it. The second thing is the tie rod end adjuster that came with the big brake stuff are too long, so I couldn't install the tie rods. No idea what they are from.

I KNEW this was going to happen, but when i moved the car this morning to start the brake replacement....the water pump took a piss all over the ground. I was just hoping I could put a few thousand more miles on it before it happened.
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Just get the adapters to convert it, no need to re-flare the lines.

The tie rod ends and sleeves are specific to the center link. If you keep the 89 center link you need ends and sleeves for an 89. If you change the center link to a 98-02, the tie rod ends, sleeves, pitman, and idler arm change to 98-02 style. I forget precisely the difference but I believe the late style center link moves the tie rod connection point inboard somewhat, so that would jive with the sleeve being longer.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah Big brake swap.

Im running the adaptors for the front brakes that Thain mentioned. Jay foundem for me as I had no luck....probably half due to me not knowing exactly what I needed. When I installed the matching booster and master cylinder I did do a proper iso flare for the rear lines and junk yard scavenged the hard line leading down to the drivers side brake hose.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So I may have the wrong tie rod ends then as well? I read they changed to metric thread in later years, i suppose I should check them.

Edit: According to rockauto they are the same until 2002...looks like i'm OK.

I can't get the converter adapters for the one side, they don't make m10X1.0 inverted to m10X1.0 bubble adapters it seems. The new fitting is already installed with the incorrect flare.
                      Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 10-13-2017, 06:32 PM.
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

hm, I had adapters on mine for years. I forget what it was exactly, but they definitely used to exist. I want to say it was SAE to metric though, the lines are 3/16". Of course they couldn't just pick a measurement system anywhere else on the car, why wouldn't the brake system be some bastard mix of imperial and metric.

Comment

I'm sorry I've probably not been very clear. The adapters that go from stock box to big brake lines do exist, i just don't like adapters. I removed the stock brake line fitting, put on a metric one that fit, and flared it to a double flare instead of a bubble flare. So I need to cut off what I put on there, get the bubble flare fittings, and i just ordered a bubble flare kit.
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Well if you indeed have the correct 10mm thread you can tighten that way down and it will seal into the brake hose end. It's obviously not 100% kosher and I wouldn't do this on someone else's vehicle (or mine for that matter, unless it was an emergency), but it is a way to get her moving again if say township gets on your ass.

For the rest of the peoples who still have the standard box-issue 3/8"-threaded double-flare line nuts, the adapters needed are BLF-31B or BLF-31C made by AGS, the B comes in a bag and C comes in a cardboard-type package. Here's the manufacturer's website/catalog to look things up into if you end up needing some other adapters too:
                            http://agscompany.com/product-catego...metric-thread/
                            Unfortunately it seems you are correct in that they do not make a 10mm inverted to 10mm bubble adapter.

Regarding TREs, just use the box Panther sleeves with the TREs and you should be good to go IIRC.

Sucks for the water pump. I like the HD cast-iron monster, it has four extra bolts holding the backing plate on, provides more even clamping so hopefully less likely to start weeping between the pump and the plate.
                            Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 10-13-2017, 10:05 PM.
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

That's some good info right there. I'll be fine with the township

What's a guy to do when a brake swap and water pump needs to be done? Detail the interior of course. Aerospace 303 on everything vinyl/plastic, and chrome polish on the metal. I needed more pictures of this awesome interior anyway. Everything is in amazing shape, i wish the pictures did it justice.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 10-14-2017, 06:55 PM.
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                                I needed more pictures of this awesome interior anyway. Everything is in amazing shape, i wish the pictures did it justice.
                                Yup, she's really nice inside indeed, always has been. Mind you she was used for junkyard runs, but always with cardboard and rubber mats and towels. The only other one I can think of that is this good is Gadget's TownCar. Shit I just remembered I gotta do quarter panel on that one, FML!!! Speaking of, what's you plan regarding the fender corners on the wagon?

Comment

Working...
                                X