No announcement yet.

Large Marge: The New Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY got the big brake swap done, been working on it piece by piece. New front brake lines as well. I love the look of fresh brakes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1282501Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1282502Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	1282513

They fit the wheel nicely.

Name:	IMG_1004.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1282503

Now on to the next mess! Then I can go get it aligned.

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1282504

Question: For those of you who did the BB swap, the passenger side brake line needed to be slightly twisted to make it work, nothing crazy, but it didn't just slip into place, have you experienced this?
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 10-21-2017, 01:22 PM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

To answer your question...maybe.

After putting so many things on a car that it was not originally designed to take I tend to forget what was messed with to make right. I also come to expect having to tweak things to fit.

Great work phil. Love that wagon. Let me know when you get rid of it. oops! did I say that out loud?!

Excellent weather this weekend to knock out all of that work. You will have it running again in no time.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't remember anything particularly odd with the hose routing but its been a long time since I actually installed it.

Now would be a good time to give the balancer a good visual inspection, and rock the crank to check the timing chain for slack. You're halfway to replacing both so you may as well find out if its needed now.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I swapped the new right and left hoses to provide full drop.

Do you have rear disks yet?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Jay, yes he has the rear discs, that was done a while ago.

Not surprising at all that some tweaking of the brake line was needed, but that's no big deal really, and quite frankly the way the factory run some of the lines is quite stupid, so nothing wrong with readjusting their shape or even changing their routing entirely. Thought you're replacing that line altogether tho, I seem to recall it not looking too hot?

+1 on the timing chain. Even if it's good, at least reseal the timing cover. Fuck Ford and their stupid fuckin idea of running the coolant thru three sets of gaskets till it hits the block, you take the clamping force provided by the water pump bolts and it's anyone's guess whether the last gasket remaining will still be sealed up properly.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Thanks Dave I'll let you know, you can give it a paint job when I'm done with it

I'm way ahead of you guys haha, I have a new timing chain sitting here next to me ready to install, along with a brand new balancer. It is really nice weather, maybe I can get the get the timing chain/waterpump done tomorrow, then i can see if I can put myself through the windshield with the new brakes

As far as the brake line goes, I meant the rubber flex line. The drivers side fit like factory but the passenger I had to twist the end, and therefore the rubber slightly to get it to fit. No clearance issues and it goes lock to lock fine though. The front hard lines are brand new Ni-cop like the rears you did Ivan.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

I will also admit to not being in love with the water pump system they used. Its almost blasphemous to say it, but GM had a much better idea there. Chrysler uses a very similar pump setup to Ford, but other aspects are more like GM. Kind of the worst of both worlds, except the 318 is somehow tougher than either.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, they aren't ideal, but the design is tough enough to last 30 some years, so good enough for me.

Got the new chain, pump and most of the accessories on tonight, hope to have it back up and running tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1282521Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1094.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1282522
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

how sloppy was the chain?

Comment

About the same as any double roller chain i've changed. definitely some deflection, but not aweful. I'd really like to see how much the chain stretched after the first 100 miles, it might be considerable. They go on tight, but I doubt they stay that way for long.
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

She's back up and running! Re-timed her, she was at about 7 degrees or so, now at 11, for fun. Not sure if it was due to chain slack or the old balancer had slipped a little. Big brakes feel nice overall, much better actuation...however I believe there is air in the passenger side, it pulls to the left under hard braking, and i cant get it out by gravity bleeding (yes calipers are on the correct side).
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                          Jay, yes he has the rear discs, that was done a while ago.

Not surprising at all that some tweaking of the brake line was needed, but that's no big deal really, and quite frankly the way the factory run some of the lines is quite stupid, so nothing wrong with readjusting their shape or even changing their routing entirely. Thought you're replacing that line altogether tho, I seem to recall it not looking too hot?

+1 on the timing chain. Even if it's good, at least reseal the timing cover. Fuck Ford and their stupid fuckin idea of running the coolant thru three sets of gaskets till it hits the block, you take the clamping force provided by the water pump bolts and it's anyone's guess whether the last gasket remaining will still be sealed up properly.
                          Been there, done that. Replace it all and rip out that smog pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                            however I believe there is air in the passenger side, it pulls to the left under hard braking, and i cant get it out by gravity bleeding (yes calipers are on the correct side).
                            So bribe John with food and do a 2-person bleed, gravity alone is rarely enough to get all the air out.
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                              So bribe John with food and do a 2-person bleed, gravity alone is rarely enough to get all the air out.
                              I am hungry!

Comment

Well I got one food payment for aligning the god forsaken thing. Owes me a brake bleeding food. And one for the fuel line that I looked at wrong during the alignment. Hahahahahahaha.

Good news is, the fuel line, at least from the engine to the fuel filter, is brandy new. The car drives straight with no wheel return-ability issues. Front brakes are bled.

What's left to be done on the car to my knowledge. Scary scaly tank to filter fuel line, fuel filter retainer. And the scary vapor line.

Comment

Working...
                                X