No announcement yet.

Large Marge: The New Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again John, he spent a longgg time on her yesterday. Besides the remaining fuel line and trashed vapor line I also have to replace the tailshaft bushing and seal (it's realllly shot). I'm surprised there isnt a vibration. I also need to replace the rear shocks..

Is there a way to test that the EVAP system is working? I dont want to replace the line only to find that half the system isnt even functional.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Who needs an EVAP system? If the computer isn't monitoring it and throwing a CEL, what difference does it really make? My Town Car's canister is on the side of the road somewhere after it fell off, so the purge valve is just sitting there on the core support not hooked to anything but the electrical connector and the computer is none the wiser. Sometimes if I put gas in it on a really hot day I might smell fuel vapor the next time I park it, but that's about it.

Whats the plan for the tailshaft bushing? I've been told it takes special tools to change but I've never had to do one yet. The one in my '98 needs changed for some reason, I discovered that when inspecting the trans mount after changing the u-joints. AOD and 4R70W tailshaft bushing is basically the same so I imagine changing them would be the same.
      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

I'd like it to be functional, it actually does something unlike the smog pump. Helps reduce hydrocarbon emissions and ensures im not loosing my gas over time by evaporation. At the same time on hot days if i turn the A/C on it smells of gas due to purging into the engine compartment because of the busted line.

How i did the tail shaft bushing on a T5 was...i carefully cut the bushing until it was almost at the aluminum, it was then able to gently pry it and pop it out. To get the new one in i believe i used a block of wood and hammer. Plan to do the same with this one, basically the same thing.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          Well I got one food payment for aligning the god forsaken thing. Owes me a brake bleeding food. And one for the fuel line that I looked at wrong during the alignment. Hahahahahahaha.

Good news is, the fuel line, at least from the engine to the fuel filter, is brandy new. The car drives straight with no wheel return-ability issues. Front brakes are bled.

What's left to be done on the car to my knowledge. Scary scaly tank to filter fuel line, fuel filter retainer. And the scary vapor line.
          You did it on a rack?

Got the numbers?

I did it all in my backyard with expensive tools I purchased because everyone is an idiot. So if an idiot was to do the alignment I wanted it to be me. Shes all good years later! Getting the toe correct WITH THE STEERING WHEEL CENTERED took the longest part as I had to drive her after every adjustment to make sure it tracked straight.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

if the lines are good and the solenoid works, it pretty much has to function. Smoke test it to check for leaks if you're concerned there but thats all I know to do for it. The other tell is whether or not the fuel tank hisses when you open the fill cap. If it does, the check valve up at the top of the tank where the line connects is probably gummed shut.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes john and i did it on the rack, john did most the work since i was paying pepboys where he works to do it though. If I didnt have John i'd be tempted to do it my self as well. Caster is around 4.5, camber is -.75 and toe is .008" total. And the steering wheel is perfectly centere

If i smoke test it now it's come out of the huge holes in the line lol. The tank did build a lot of pressure up after a long drive the one day. how hard is it to get to that check valve? dont want the gas tank exploding
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

its at the very top of the tank. Not sure what access is like on the wagons but it may have to be dropped for access. if the steel line back there is scary it may need to come down anyway.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  I also have to replace the tailshaft bushing and seal (it's realllly shot). I'm surprised there isnt a vibration.
                  I gotta do the same to the GMN Cowboy's truck, except he did have a nasty vibration at interstate speeds. Doing it the easy way and replacing the entire t-case extension housing with spare one I got with like-new bushing (still gets a brand new seal tho), mostly cause no one seems to carry new bushings for a 1356 case (or I'm just a moron and don't know what they're listed under, which by extension would mean the parts store people are just as big morons as me). Wanna replace the front yoke on the rear shaft too, this one doesn't give me much of a warm and fuzzy feeling. Tis the last time I'm doing any maintenance on this thing, I want it as right as possible.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Steel line ends and a nylon one begins, all within reach without dropping the tank, so i'll consider it for the future.

Yeah, im worried i'll need a new yoke as well, i did for the Maverick, and that wasnt nearly as bad.

Oh and here's an image of the new line, and John surfing on the rack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	1282577Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124-1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	1282578
                    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 10-26-2017, 09:37 PM.
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post

Oh and here's an image of the new line, and John surfing on the rack.

That's to get the rear sensor to read while I'm up there making sure the wheel is centered. Did you take any pictures of the line attached to the fuel rail or filter?

Comment

Looks more like you're trying to do something impolite to his door handle.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Looks more like you're trying to do something impolite to his door handle.
                          Yeah if the gas filler was there we may have had a real serious problem indeed. "Hello, I'm Marge. Come fill my tank and align me just right."
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

And this thread has now officially descended into the gutter... LMAO
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

There's numerous levels lower it could go...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hey! She's a classy lady!
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X