PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Large Marge: The New Adventures

Well...the radiator is leaking. Of course it is. This will be the third time draining the cooling system. Thankfully it is so far a very slow leak, planning to buy the 1 core spectra radiator.
    -Phil

+'82 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, 2bbl 2150 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. 86 Valve Body with a Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB.

Just don't ignore the slow leak. I did that. Noticed the Town Car steaming a tiny bit on some odd occasions around Thanksgiving a few years ago. Tried to put it off till after the holidays and hopefully until warmer weather. Nope. Car said fuck you and the radiator started dumping all the antifreeze between here and work (~6 miles). Of course that was mid-January...so I changed the radiator on a sunny 20* day in my driveway. And as an added bonus, both trans lines broke when I undid them. The good thing was that the Spectra radiator dropped right in, exact match for the original, and the car ran cooler in the following summers. That job still sucked in the cold.
    -Steve

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~95k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, all natural weight reduction as the parts fall off..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    planning to buy the 1 core spectra radiator.
    Don't! Get the big A552 one, the peace of mind it provides when you're stuck in traffic on a hot summer day is invaluable. Ask John for his discount, or I can use mine but it will be two weeks till you receive the rad and I think John can get you a better price than me anyways.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

+1 on the A552. The Mad Marquis didn't even flinch with temps after installing that beast.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

It's already ordered. I have the 3 core in the LTD, didn't notice a difference between the 2 core brass and 3 core when i put it in, still got hot in the summer with the A/C on and the 2 core brass is equivalent to the 1 core aluminum. Plus i don't have any of the bottom or top support pieces that would allow it to fit, and as I recall the hose size is different either on the top or the bottom. I'm doing as little modification as I can. I'd consider this: https://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...aia_id=1131321 but it's almost double the price and im hurting for money right now with all these sudden unexpected fixes one after the other
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 11-06-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    -Phil

+'82 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, 2bbl 2150 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. 86 Valve Body with a Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB.

Yeah... gotta gut the bottom mount and get a second long top mount and use a 351 car top hose. The A552 is better than a single row for sure. Texas tested. But the single row will do the job if you're not towing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

the 2 core brass is equivalent to the 1 core aluminum.
    FYI that's what the mass-production aftermarket assholes wants you to think, OEMs begged to differ at least till the end of the OBS era - you'd NOT find an aluminum rad in any Ford diesel from the factory, just 4-core copper monsters that you pretty much need an engine hoist to install, lol. Apples to oranges yes, still some food for thought I think.

Regardless, your reasoning is sound. Unfortunately I would be unable to help you on the brackets even if you did get the A552, as AFAIK my stash just got depleted by Heretic's car.

And I hear ya on the snowball repairs - tis why I still run that V8 boat anchor instead of a proper inline 6, the V8 ended up needing lots of work well before an I6 was in sight - which of course burned up half the I6 swap funding, so yeah, life's a bitch, lol
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

So that big A552, that's not a drop in replacement, is it?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    So that big A552, that's not a drop in replacement, is it?
    It is a drop in replacement... if you hog out the small side lower mount with a utility knife and get another long top bracket. Then everything bolts on. Just remember to get the right upper hose.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Its not so much the number of cores but the sizes. The reason the usual claim is 1 aluminum = 2 brass is the tube size. Brass tubes are relatively small, where the aluminum ones are much wider. The total core thickness is fairly comparable so it doesn't matter that its one row of tubes vs 2. Its all about surface area.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    It is a drop in replacement... if you hog out the small side lower mount with a utility knife and get another long top bracket. Then everything bolts on. Just remember to get the right upper hose.
    Thank you sir, I also see your comment about said hose.

New radiator is in, along with 8 new spark plugs. I've noticed since the HO intake install, when the engine is cold at extremely low throttle position it has a hesitation and occasional light bucking. I think i'll just have to get used to this, most likely nothing i can do. It's not awful.

My fan speed on "low" for the blower motor no longer works. I assume its the resistor. I see there are 4 pin, and 5 pin resistors. I also read its located behind the upper intake? Which one do I need? Rockauto doesn't really say which is which.
    -Phil

Blower resistor is located on the heater plenum on the engine side directly behind the intake. If you have a 3-speed fan switch, you may have the 4-wire. I've only ever seen the 5 wire that's used on ATC and 4-speed (Low, Med-lo, Med-hi, Hi) manual setups. I have never actually seen the 4-wire one. Easiest way to find out is just look at the harness going to it and count the wires.

If you don't have ATC you may wanna leave that resistor be. The air speed the fan provides on the low setting is comparable to what you get pushed thru the air vents simply because of the air pressure build up at the HVAC's intake while car is in motion, in other words you're using power and wearing out your blower motor for nothing. At some point I deliberately crippled my blower resistor to allow for a "fan off but fresh air on" mode, as typically the only way to shut the blower off is to place the vent-selector in the off position which also closes the recirculation door and cuts the HVAC off from the outside world (good guard against mice tho, assuming the vacuum holds in the servo motor).

But yes, like Sly suggested just count wires coming out of the current resistor block, this will be the number of pins you need the new one to have.

...I've noticed since the HO intake install, when the engine is cold at extremely low throttle position it has a hesitation and occasional light bucking. I think i'll just have to get used to this, most likely nothing i can do. It's not awful...
    Did you reset the computer after this install? It might not help anyway but I'm thinking the computer's fuel tables and such are expecting LoPo air flow and so when cold it could be running just a bit too lean for it's liking. Just my two cents.

Unhook the EGR valve and see if that changes. I had off-idle hesitation for a long time, finally traced it to EVR fuckery opening the EGR valve when it should not be.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I didn't reset the computer, but thought about it. In the program is a parameter for idle air flow that is set at the factory, both physically and in the computer. This is obviously thrown off by installing a throttle body that allows a different amount of air in at idle. Reseting the computer wont change this figure, however it will change what it has learned aka KAMs. It should relearn just given time, but it never hurts to do a hard reset.

Thain, I'll give it a shot as well. How did you rectify the problem in the end? My EVR is new
    -Phil

initially I cleaned the EVR inside with a snort of wd-40, eventually replaced it. May not be the problem if the part is new but easy enough to check

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678