Large Marge: The New Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

LMAO @ Thain's .gif

Originally posted by sly View Post
      There's numerous levels lower it could go...
      Indeed! And here, let me contribute to that:

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
      Hey! She's a classy lady!
      Sure, on the outside maybe, but deep down inside she's one hella dirty slut. Like some people I know, come to think of... lol
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

LoL.

I went to change out the tailshaft bushing/seal today...but could not for the life of me get the driveshaft bolts out. Things were starting to bed pretty badly!

So I ended up changing the rear shocks. What a bitch! the one came right out, but the other I ended up cutting out. Rides smoother now.

It's currently not allowing me to upload a photo...maybe later.
        Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 10-30-2017, 04:22 PM.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Small propane torch on the bolts, careful how your flame goes, don't wanna cook U-joint or seal. About a minute per bolt should make the loctite soft enough to remove. Assuming there is loctite to begin with, if there isn't then you're just dealing with your friendly gorilla tightening shit to diesel specs, lol - with a single long-handle wrench at that, no breaker bars or cheater pipes or other such shenanigans, just the one wrench
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

yeah, heat the loctite, it'll let go. Hitting the wrench with a hammer may also help shock it into compliance. Impact will often break things loose that simple torque will not.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
              Small propane torch on the bolts,
              told you. That's all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                told you. That's all you need.
                Not if there is actually no loctite on there, and it's just the gorilla factor coming into play. Propane torch makes no difference for that, it calls for the dead-blow hammer like Gadget suggested.

Comment

Did you have the driveshaft off the thing? I have MAPP gas...that's about as good as I've got. One day i'll have some oxy/ace
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Yeah, shaft has been removed at least once in the last year.

Propane is hot enough to burn seals on the U-joint and the plastic dust shield on the pinion flange. MAPP gas makes accomplishing the same much easier and faster. Oxy-ace will just melt all that shit off if you don't police your flame very well. Generally there is no need for anything stronger than propane, it's sufficient when dealing with loctite, but MAPP will put more heat in the same area faster meaning you can have the bolts off before the flange starts getting really hot. Oxy-ace is generally reserved for when bolts are rusted as all hell inside the flange (which should not be your situation) and the U-joint usually gets damaged in the process (because when you aim your flame you have the choice of either the U-joint being in the line of fire, or the pinion seal dust shield, and U-joints are easier to replace).

Comment

I generally have good luck with impacts and a 12-point 12mm swivel impact socket. I have had to break out bertha though (1/2" breaker bar) and use that with the impact socket. But once that got it to move at all... impact would spin it right off. Never had one tighter than that though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just bought a DeWalt electric impact and it is the bee's knees. In your guys' experience, what has a greater chance of breaking studs, breaker bar/hand wrench or impact? Seems with my limited experience I've busted things by hand more often than with an impact...
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Mapp gas it is. I might as well replace the transmission crossmember while I'm at it. It's pretty squishy.

Usually by hand. But if you have a really nice, powerful pneumatic impact, it can tear things apart real quick if you're not careful lol. like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Ran.../dp/B00LV9Y1FE 1,350 ft/lbs!

I've always wanted this one, used to use it at lexus: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...8517_200378517
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

The smaller one looks nice, too bad I don't have a compressor, why I had to buy the electric job. Helped me swap 4 8 lug wheels in a hurry though, would've been there all day with my hands...

I was flushing the coolant & heater core on our K1500, went to do the thermostat and those studs felt really nasty by hand.. Decided to bite the bullet & got that DeWalt out and it got the problem stud out without snapping it, which it felt like it was going to do.. I like pleasant surprises lol
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Soooo I accidentally found out that every single spark plug on the passenger side was loose. Wiggle it with your hand loose. It’s made a ticking sound like loud injectors since I got it... runs smoother now that they are tight. More power, less smell.

I got 18mpg with the loose plugs and a bad EGR... hoping for closer to 20 now!
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Can't get an impact gun in there on the drive shaft. Its a 12pt 12mm wrench sorta job.

All else failing, get you an oxy acetylene torch, melt it apart and then you know what ails it. Unfortunately the fix there, depending where you applied the heat, is probably a new rear and new driveshaft.

Comment

Working...
                                X