No announcement yet.

Large Marge: The New Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idk why the plugs were loose. don't remember ever doing those, and if I did you'll probably be looking for ways to impact them out too, lol.

If oxy is involved you just heat the ears on the flange where the bolts go thru, no need to get crazy destructive. If you wrap the plastic dust shield in front of the pinon seal with some heaeader wrap and cover that with some steel (alu will melt) sheetmetal to deflect the flame away, there's a good chance it will survive just fine (think electrical wires in vicinity of turbochargers, it works).

Also you can actually use an impact there - lift the ass end of the car high enough and support by the frame to allow for axle to drop as low as the shocks will let it, this gives the driveshaft just enough of an angle that in you rotate it so you have a bolt straight up top, straight down bottom, and straight left and right, you can barely sneak in a socket onto the lowest bolt and impact it out. Yes splitting the 12-point socket is a concern indeed, but most any US-made sockets should be able to handle that use if one is gentle with the trigger.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Whats the point in the fire wrench if you don't go crazy and destroy stuff with it?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh death and destruction of automotive components are generally just fine by me, but when I gotta deal with the aftermath of them it kinda takes the fun out of the whole raging inferno experience.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Thats why I don't mind telling people stuff, I don't have to deal with the results. I don't destroy my own things, that would just be silly
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the easy way to get the damn driveshaft bolts out... https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-Interna...dp/B000RLHUD2/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Have you used that thing tho? I'm sure it will work great on my truck's driveshaft cause 1410 U-joints and stupid large flanges with all sorts of space, but a 1330 joint on a box Panther runs a rather small companion flange and there may not be enough space for this thing's collar against the driveshaft tube to get the socket straight on the bolt... I seem to recall running into that scenario at least once, but hell if I remember the exact details on the particular tools that didn't wanna cooperate.

Comment

Yes, I have used that thing. Needed a 4 inch extension on the electric 1/2" impact, but I used the 12 inch extension just to make my life easier.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Prettayyy, prettayyy, prettayyyy handy little socket. I doubt it was you Ivan, these plugs look like they are MANY years old. They've probably been loose since the owner before Scott changed them! Amazing it ran as well as it did.

Replaced the last section of fuel line from the filter to the tank, new fuel filter too. She's running and riding like a dream. I'm almost "there" as far as the long list of thing I wanted to do to make her reasonably reliable.

Sadly it will need both rear window motors, in addition to the tailgate window motor, which i have. Any brand recommendations? Obviously I want something that will last.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1208.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	1282620Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpeg
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	1282621
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    Yes, I have used that thing. Needed a 4 inch extension on the electric 1/2" impact, but I used the 12 inch extension just to make my life easier.
                    Good to know! I hate it when you buy something that's supposed to make your life easier, and you find out that it can indeed do so, but not in the particular application you're working on.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    Replaced the last section of fuel line from the filter to the tank, new fuel filter too.
                    How did you connect filter to steel lines, and steel lines to fuel pump? I've tried the plastic repair line with new quick-connects they sell and it was am exercise in futility, it's supposed to soften up with use of a heat gun then slip over the steel line and shrink and seal as it cools off, but all it did for me was start blistering from the heat, and even then it never got soft enough to be able to slip onto the steel line...

Comment

Yeah they suck...I used rubber 5/16" fuel line, and slipped it on to the quick connect ends and tightened them down with fuel injection hose clamps. The new metal lines were crimped to fit into the quick disconnects by John, he has access to a special hydraulic tool that will do it. I should have taken some pictures. It looks pretty stock actually. The new steel line clipped right into the existing quick disconnect that goes to the tank, because of the crimped line.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Sounds like a good setup! Yeah high pressure hose and clamps is what I use as well, works like a charm every time, just gotta watch routing around the engine on the passenger side cause it gets a bit too close to the exhaust, for my personal liking at least.

Comment

I was just looking at my fuel lines yesterday while I was changing the oil in Vicky. Still look like new metal lol

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                            Sounds like a good setup! Yeah high pressure hose and clamps is what I use as well, works like a charm every time, just gotta watch routing around the engine on the passenger side cause it gets a bit too close to the exhaust, for my personal liking at least.
                            Back in the day we did a tune up on my buddy's old '89 GMQ. Included in that was a fuel filter. Even attempting that filter was a mistake, the god damn quick connect to the filter snapped as soon as we touched it because it was so brittle. To make it better, from about a foot forward of the filter someone had compression unioned new steel from there to the engine but left the old line in place. Everything between the filter and tank was crusty as hell. So everything between the compression union and filter became high pressure rubber line and by the grace of god I was able to get a solid enough section of the old steel between the tank and filter to slip on and clamp rubber line to. I tried several times and that old line would just crumble. I REALLY didn't want to have to start back at the tank. That repair lasted longer than it probably should have, much like the car it was done on, it lasted the 4 years that thing stayed on the road after that. The line did pop off the filter a couple times for whatever reason, but otherwise it held.

I'm so happy the later Aeros used stainless fuel and vapor lines. They are the shiniest thing under the Town Car other than the aluminum diff cover.
                            -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                            1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Sounds like a pain! Fuel/brake line work is not fun, but i still prefer it over exhaust lol.

I put Optimum Gloss Coat on the entire car today in an attempt to preserve the vinyl side and slow down the failing clear coat. It didnt make it much shineir, but its supposed to protect against UV, rain, dirt. Supposedly dirt and rain will just roll right off it. We shall see, it was expensive enough...

Here's some beauty shots. the paint is not as nice looking in person, but the vinyl IS as nice looking in person.

Name:	IMG_1263.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	4.95 MB
ID:	1282627Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.jpeg
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	1282628Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpeg
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	1282629
                              Dat Ass:

Name:	IMG_1267.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	1282630
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

One smart thing about the Mark VII is they used plastic line from the tank onward. Its that stiff stuff thats kind of a bitch to repair but it does not rust out. I think the vapor line may be steel though. SS lines would also be perfectly fine. My car still rocks original steel fuel lines. They don't look awesome, but they aren't terrible either.

Comment

Working...
                                X