Wagon Spoiler/wing Purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Spoiler/wing Purpose?

I have a wagon spoiler/wing/thing I can put on the car, however I'm not certain it's worth it for the extra air drag. Someone told me it was to make the air move over the back window in such a way that it would deflect dirt and rain from getting on the rear window. Was this it's purpose for certain? Is it worth putting on? I know they are rare

-Phil
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

No clue, but I definitely want one so if you opt not to install it please shoot me a PM...

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Ever followed a pickup truck with a bed cap moving at decent speed during snowfall? Seen all the air turbulence behind it and how it seems to suck the snow and pile it up on the back of said truck? That's what the wing does, creates a bit of a down-draft in the area of the rear window, it's good for keeping the crap from building up on the rear glass as fast as it typically does. Mostly effective against snow and dust, rain drops are heavier and are not affected by that relatively weak airflow. Box-body Suburbans also had that option FWIW. I'd say install it and see how you like it. As for aero-drag, well you are driving a brick on wheels, with a station wagon you have more aero drag than a sedan just by the shape of the body in the rear, that little wing IMHO won't make much of a difference in that regard. Like I said, try it this winter, see if it works like it's supposed to. You can always pull it and sell it later on.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Even if its effect is minimal, it adds style points. Since it was introduced in 1969, any Ford/Merc wagon without an air deflector just seems to be "missing something" in my opinion.

Comment

It also keeps exhaust from being drawn in through the open rear tailgate. Its a useful thing, and may actually very slightly help overall aerodynamics since you won't basically be drawing a vacuum. Agreed that its basically a brick on wheels though, it will not seriously alter things. You're never going to get legit hypermile economy out of an 80s station wagon.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The wing on my Superbird does nothing aerodynamically until you are doing over 160 MPH. The wing on our wagons won't do anything. The wing on our wagons makes a nice place for the birds to sit and shit on the rear window. WagonMan
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park
            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
              The wing on my Superbird does nothing aerodynamically until you are doing over 160 MPH. The wing on our wagons won't do anything.
              Apples to oranges though - different purpose, different profile, yada yada yada. But you're right that for vehicle aerodynamics improvement it won't do anything. Actually the faster you go the more it will interfere, since by shape it's more of an air brake (in airplane terms) than even a flap (also in airplane terms). But if it helps keep snow off the rear window, that's a good thing, especially since these cars don't have a rear wiper (unless you're Donald) and thus the windshield-mounted rearview mirror can become all but useless in a short order.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Interesting. It won't hurt for me to try it out. I need some more wood vinyl, someone said Jaywish has a lot....

If this adds "Street Cred" i'm definitely down, I live my life a 1/4 mile, and a load of 4x8 plywood at a time.
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

For the street cred I'd think you'll want the front lowered a bit, and some nice fat rear tires, cause hot-rod (it's already got the blackout tint on the glass, so you're good there). Just remember that it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or by a mile, winning is winning

As for the woodgrain vinyl, I ain't touching that hornet's nest - PM the respective person and see what they can do for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X