Ignition switch or just weirdness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition switch or just weirdness?

So I drove the girls to school today because I've been a bit under the weather this week. It's a short walk to school but I feel like crap so naaaahhhhh. Anyhow, drive them to school no biggie. Hang out for 10 minutes, go back out to the car and (fuel pump wine) tch. Full-stop. WTF? Turn key off and back on, nothing. No radio, no lights, nothing. Ponder this a moment, turn key backward, radio comes on but like battery has been disconnected. Open door, lights come on. Goddamnit. Try again, no-start. Bang on wheel, turn key backward again, curse, god, allah, ganoosh and whatever-the-fuck else. Turn key and the bitch starts right up. Haven't checked battery connections in months but i'm pretty sure the battery and connections are not the issue. Is this congruous with an ignition switch issue? I'd fucking hate to deal with another key in this mess but if it must be, it must. Ideas?

I work tomorrow and have an early job in LA so I won't likely run the car until sunday. If it fires right up i'll be happy and a little pissed, then bitch at it but whatever. Fuckin' car. Maybe it's mad I haven't done anything cool to it in a while. Got a compliment on the wheels yesterday from an old guy. Makes me smile. Still needs to be faster, much faster.

Fender Solenoid?
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

absolutely worth a look. They have a lot of non-specific stupid symptoms when it goes. Crusty battery connections or crusty connections at the fender relay are also very possible. Possibly more likely since you lost the radio presets. That supply does not go through the ignition switch.

The switch is not actually related to the key. The tumbler does not get replaced, so the key does not change. Switch lives on the side of the column, basically under the shift lever. The tumbler moves a rod that actually makes it do it's thing.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like the ignition switch to me. You need a T30 to get the damn things off though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

security T30 at that, if its got heads. Some of them are headless and require either a dremel slot cut in for a screwdriver or a stud extractor.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's a bunch of fuckery there (headless).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh boy. May not even look at it 'til next weekend. Work was a ballbreaker yesterday and I still feel like shit. Don't really need to drive the car unless it rains(unlikely) so i'll examine this crap later. Pretty sure I've got a bunch of weird security bits and shit but a headless screw, that'd piss off the good humor man. I'll let you guys know what I find. This car has done other weird shit that only happens once then never recurs, so maybe this will be another one of those(crosses fingers).

Comment

Working...
              X