Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1969 Ford F250

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto...303679279.html

Someone buy this, it's a steal at that price. Personally I would then 4x4 this with a divorced t-case and some '05-'08 Superduty axles, for the huge ABS-compatible brakes. Add the mostly standalone ABS from a '99-'04 Superduty, and that's it. Well, 4-speed creeper hand-shaker would be nice, but not required.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

only thing I'd do to that is replace the rear bumper with one that doesn't look so fugly. The driveline would be the problem. Probably would have to fit a Gear Vendors unit in there so it doesn't just scream its guts out on the highway. No OD trans for the FE engine. I suppose an EFI 460 / E4OD swap wouldn't be completely ruled out. My own purposes require more highway use than offroad.

whatever that bullshit thing on top of the carb is would have to go as well in favor of a real air cleaner. With the air ducts, because cold air intake bro.
    Last edited by gadget73; 09-16-2017, 10:08 AM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No need for OD trans actually, one can regear the D60 rear to something more highway-friendly. Hell for all we know it may already have the numerically-low gears inside it. Adding the electronic-management engine and transmission IMHO takes away from the character of the truck, hell the only reason I'd give it ABS is just for safety purposes (and it can be installed done all hidden-sneaky-like easy enough).

Agreed on the air-cleaner thing tho, whatever that is. Put the big IDI diesel air cleaner setup on it, it's factory cold-air pulling from behind the grille via 4" duct, and the filter itself is huge - it will flow as much air as that 360 will ever want, while looking non-rice too.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I love the bump sides. Esp the 67-69. Does looks like an idea candidate for a frame swap. I looked a donor truck a while back. Was the factory 250 4x4 version but of course it was rusty. Had a 300 in it. I think the dent side frames swap in pretty easy other than a slight difference in wheel base. But no more projects for me. Not now anyway.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Why do you wanna frame-swap it, to gain the more modern forward-mounted steering box setup?

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            No need for OD trans actually, one can regear the D60 rear to something more highway-friendly.
            3 speed C6. Never been much impressed with 3 speed auto trucks, they either pull or they go down the highway. They never do both well, or they kind-of suck at both if you go for compromise gears. May have been acceptable in the pre-75 mph interstate travel days but it doesn't really cut it now.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
              Why do you wanna frame-swap it, to gain the more modern forward-mounted steering box setup?
              The dent 4x4 are a bit more common donors if doing a 2wd to 4wd swap. Plus the disc brakes and power steering doesn't hurt.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                3 speed C6. Never been much impressed with 3 speed auto trucks, they either pull or they go down the highway. They never do both well, or they kind-of suck at both if you go for compromise gears. May have been acceptable in the pre-75 mph interstate travel days but it doesn't really cut it now.
                Makes sense. Altho I was pretty happy with the TH350 and 3.08 gears and 31" tires, thing got solid 20mph running with the tractor trailers on the interstate while still having enough oomph for some traffic lights fun. Wasn't a work truck tho, and its weight was fairly low. At the same rate, do you really wanna go 75mph in a truck with 4 drum brakes? Hell two on the rear axle is two too many as far as I'm concerned, two more on the front is just asking for trouble, lol.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                The dent 4x4 are a bit more common donors if doing a 2wd to 4wd swap. Plus the disc brakes and power steering doesn't hurt.
                The 8-lug 4x4 dents ride like crap tho, and the price of admission into the D60 club is usually pretty ridiculous for what you get out of it. The '05-'08 Superduty axles I mentioned earlier are the ticket for most 2wd to 4x4 conversions these days, or so it seems. Hell someone even took the time to CAD a Superduty SAS for IIRC the GMT900 chassis and shared the files on Pirate, people are jumping on that bandwagon en masse and for good reason - front axle is stupid simple to install and rides really nice, rear has factory e-locker option, both have very strong internals and huge disc brakes, and the cost for a pair in great condition is often lower than that of a beat-up kingpin D60 alone. All that and frame swaps are a giant pain the posterior anyways

Comment

I would be happy to have this solid FORD truck just like it is. I would even be happy with a 300cid straight six.
                  Trucks (especially GMs) start rusting out really fast here.

Comment

Ah yes, gimmie that 300ci six any day. Five speed though.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I am partial to the later trucks (73-77, really), but the '67-'72 are a close second.

I missed a '69 4WD F-250 on CL a few months ago; rust free Idaho truck, $9500. Should have never sold my '75!
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Ah yes, gimmie that 300ci six any day. Five speed though.
                        the 300 is only useful with a manual. They *suck* with an automatic. The EFI ones are also a big improvement over that stock 1bbl with the mile long manifold. Honestly given the choice between a carb 300 and any of the V8 options, it would be a V8. Better performance, not worse on fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          I would be happy to have this solid FORD truck just like it is.
                          I can't leave well enough alone tho, especially if better performance is to be had with easily available and affordable factory parts. Bonus points if it's done all sneaky-like and looks like it rolled out the assembly line like that.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            the 300 is only useful with a manual. They *suck* with an automatic. The EFI ones are also a big improvement over that stock 1bbl with the mile long manifold. Honestly given the choice between a carb 300 and any of the V8 options, it would be a V8. Better performance, not worse on fuel.
                            I couldn't agree more about the auto trans sucking bit. But, all the Ford V8's I've ever known burn oil. Never a had 300 that did. That's big to me, especially on long trips. Plus, gear on gear timing, easier to change plugs, more room to work. I don't like how replacing rocker cover gasket also requires you to remove a portion of the intake but you have to do that with a 302 I think as well. Don't know about that though, could be talking out of my ass per usual. It be a truck, doesn't need to be fast just needs to get the job done. Something about driving one of those that puts a smile on my face. Although I might make an exception for the 1986 Model year only, as that had the SEFI (batch fire though) set up. I think '85 was EFI too on the 302 but was CFI, not entirely sure. Although '86 also didn't have a serpentine set up although that's easily changed.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

No CFI on trucks that I'm aware of, it was all carbs then the only '85 302 got the car-like EFI (batch fire, which remained till the end of the OBS) then some time later everything went batch fire EFI.

Yes on a 302 you have to remove upper intake to change valve covers, just look at passenger side of your own Towncar, truck 302s and 351s use a similar layout.

And like hell a truck needs not be fast - you set them up right they can run pretty fast and corner like they're on rails while still performing every bit of truck duty you throw at them.

Comment

Working...
                              X