Need advice with a couple of problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice with a couple of problems.

On the 1990 CV I was driving at night a few nights ago. The inside and outside seemed dim. I did not think too much of it. Last night I was driving the same car at night. The interior and exterior lights seemed much brighter. I think the problem might be the voltage regulator. Any other ideas ?

On one of the 89 TCs. the passenger front window seems to work fine until the window gets half way down. Then it gets stuck. I don't want to force anything. I think lubricating the channel might help. What would work best ?

For lubricating the tracks I typically use wheel bearing grease of the synthetic variety. Mostly cause I usually have lots of it, but also cause it doesn't give a hoot whether it's hot or cold out there, and it's very sticky and thus it's hard to wash off by rain water entering thru saw cracked dew-wipes.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

yeah that works fine for the mechanism. In the felts, silicone spray works well. Worth pulling the door panel and watching it just to make sure its not trying to eat a wire or something though.

Regulators aren't that problematic, but bad connections to them are. If its an internal regulator I'd be looking more at the wiring harness from the alternator. That style is prone to melting. \
      External reg could just be dirty connections or the brush in the alternator wearing down. There may also be a connection somewhere between the regulator and the alternator plug, the Mark VII has one, not sure about the Vic.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good suggestions. Will work on it.

Comment

What do you guys use for "silicone spray?" I was thinking of just spritzing some of that 303 Aerosprace protectant in my felts. Haven't ever done that yet.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I use this one... http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-...ant/828521_0_0

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I use 3M Dry Silicone spray in the window felts.
              -Nick M.
              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Wouldn't silicone spray leave a film on the window? That's why I haven't done it yet.

Comment

I have some CRC stuff free from work but its all about the same.

I only used it in the felts at the front and rear edge of the glass. Never had problems with it streaking. It doesn't contact the glass where you actually look through. I also used the straw to poke it in there fairly far so it wouldn't run out and down the window.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                    I use 3M Dry Silicone spray in the window felts.
                    Thanks fellas, I think I've seen the liquid wrench stuff at Vato zone. Hell, I have so many cans of stuff in my garage I may even has some silicone spray already...

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                    Wouldn't silicone spray leave a film on the window? That's why I haven't done it yet.
                    This is why I haven't done it yet, my windows are tinted and I don't want it getting in between the film and delaminating it...

Comment

It hasn't made the tint on my windows peel any worse than it already was. And I hosed the hell out of those channels and got it all over my windows. I was not near as neat about it with my car. On my wife's car, I was more surgical with it. If you spray it on and let the foam settle in first before ramming the window through it, it works a lot better for not getting all over the windows. It wipes off easy enough though. A little soapy water in a spray bottle that my wife mixes up with a little IPA works like a champ to clean the windows and the tint and takes the excess schmoo off easy.

Obviously this is with the liquid wrench version since that's what I have.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Hmm, alrighty then. I'll run it. You notice an improvement with wind noise?

Comment

No. Only that the windows move up and down without as much resistance. I have no wind noise on those cars.

Comment

Box Townie problems then.

Comment

Inspect your fuse links. One of them feeds your charging system in stock form. If you haven't already, I would suggest you ditch that whole system and go to a 3G alternator from a Taurus. Make sure you put the battery sense wire on the starter solenoid or the battery cable directly. Do not run it to the charge stud.

Comment

Working...
                              X