Early box driver seat prone to bending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Yeah I was just bitching about either being able to have my cake or eat it. Both my seats or brackets have some scary play in them. Haven't pulled them out to see what's up but I get a bad feeling about it. If you hit the brakes hard they kinda clunk, and you can feel there's a bit of travel in there. If my brackets are fucked, what choices have I got in replacement? Junkyard?
    That thing of yours is a '91, right? Should be able to run aero Panther seats directly then, and those did come with buckets in the police car version. Maybe even whale seats will fit?
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
      That thing of yours is a '91, right? Should be able to run aero Panther seats directly then, and those did come with buckets in the police car version. Maybe even whale seats will fit?
      Didn't think about that, even though I thought the tracks would likely swap, aero or whale seats very well may direct swap into his '90 CV.
      Khead, if you can't find any in CA, whale CVPIs with bucket seats actually show up in the JYs in Detroit all the time.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

This pic does a good job illustrating the issue:

Leaning on the seat, it gets worse. It can also be pushed forward and holds its form for perhaps a day or two before going back to this.

As it happens I had a spare seat back frame in the garage...parts hoarding to the extreme...and I do see a welded point that I think could fail causing the flex. So hopefully it ends up being straightforward in my car's seat.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Yeah your cross-bar/tube weld is busted, likely on the driver side - Lincoln I mentioned looked just the same, and acted as you describe. Actually you may very well find it's not the weld itself that failed, but the steel fatigued right next to it. Reweld into proper position, then build up the weld away from the vertical frame piece to create a gradual taper, should be good for pretty much forever then. Do the other side of the seat while you're at it.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

That fluffy Lincoln carpet though!

My seat doesn't do that, yet. Can see how that would be annoying while driving and would probably cause issues over long hauls.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Good food for thought guys. Did they ever make fancy power buckets? If I could find a later vic or gmq with power buckets in leather they might even match my interior. The first '90 I had did a real interesting thing. It only had the power driver's seat but it would lose adjustment. One day when I was re-adjusting it the damn thing just dropped, clunk! After that I tried to adjust it with power but it had broken underneath so it didn't go anywhere. I have suspicion that's what these ones are headed toward with the clunking but i'll need to pull them and check. If I wind up getting buckets in this bitch i'll probably do a center console and re-consider a coyote/stick swap. Looks like I need to hit the junkyards and do some research.

Comment

Marauder and later LX Sport I think were bucket. Maybe the GM LSE as well? They had center consoles with the buckets and a floor shifter as well.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

In my experience those are harder to find even in Detroit JYs, and when I have found them they were stripped of all the cool/unique stuff. They do usually have nicer bucket seats than the police interceptors though, if you can find one before everyone else.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Right, and if it's @ the Parts Galore on 8 Mile, forget it. Dem boys love their trucks too, so despite their extensive inventory I'm often walking away empty handed when it comes to truck stuff I need.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      Right, and if it's @ the Parts Galore on 8 Mile, forget it. Dem boys love their trucks too, so despite their extensive inventory I'm often walking away empty handed when it comes to truck stuff I need.
                      Well no shit, you have an "OBS" in both Ford and GM versions, stupid-popular body styles just about anywhere in the country - lotsa people want the same shit you want too.

Comment

Working...
                      X