Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compression and leakdown tests relating to oil loss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull your back 2 spark plugs and have a look too. Dead giveaway if you're pulling oil through the pcv. I'd bet on valve seals personally but yeah, who knows.

Comment

My '88 has mysteriously stopped burning oil. I haven't had to add any in 1,200 miles. Straaaange.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

they stop burning oil when there isn't any in there
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How about leaks? Seems like those would dry up with nothing left too...

Comment

My valve covers leak but I don't give a shit. Not enough to make a big difference and that motor's going bye-bye anyway, someday.

Comment

Someday never comes - CCR

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                My valve covers leak but I don't give a shit. Not enough to make a big difference and that motor's going bye-bye anyway, someday.
                Make sure the bolts on the valve covers are tight, I've had a couple of engines with loose vc bolts (loose enough to turn by hand). Weather someone had been in there before (very likely) or they just loosened due to engine vibration (less likely?), I'm not sure.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

My '85 LTD's were so bad it dripped oil all over the exhaust manifolds. Stinky.

Comment

I cleared up the leaking valve cover gaskets when I changed the covers earlier this year.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
                    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

If the valve cover bolts are loose, its usually because the cork gaskets have shrunk. Cranking them down usually splits the gasket and makes it puke even more. Change the gaskets, don't mess with the bolts unless you know its a rubber gasket.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I recall when 347's first started becoming mainstream and something about how the oil ring on the piston was intruded by the wrist pin. Some stroker kits didn't have this "feature", while others did. The wrist pin intruder ones used a special support for the hole left by the wrist pin. No problem if you don't have those style pistons, and no problem if you do but have the support. But if it got reringed at some point and someone bought standard rings, that could be a problem...
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

basically the wrist pin sits up into the oil scraper ring and oil just goes behind it?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            If the valve cover bolts are loose, its usually because the cork gaskets have shrunk. Cranking them down usually splits the gasket and makes it puke even more. Change the gaskets, don't mess with the bolts unless you know its a rubber gasket.
                            This motor has always had non-cork gaskets for the covers.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
                            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

That wasn't necessarily directed at you, just a general mention. I have a pair of cork gaskets here, they've been hanging on the pegboard in the workshop for years. I have no idea where they came from but they're not going on anything. I have a spare set of Permadry hanging around just in case I need them. On clearance at Rockauto at some point, so I snagged them.

Comment

Working...
                              X