PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: kishy's 1983 Grand Marquis 2dr

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Are the boosters the inward-facing holes around the perimeter of the inner venturi assembly? Sorry for terminology issues. If that is them, yes, they are dribbling fuel.
    That's them. Drop the float level a little and that should help. Also be very sure the little holes in the top of the boosters are open. They are air bleeds, and if they are blocked you get a similar result. The extra fuel from the leaking boosters is contributing to the lack of idle control.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    -idle mixture screws, and the same problem I had with the Ranger: why do they not seem to do anything? Threaded them in to seat and it kept running exactly the same. Idle must be set too high, but there's no lower it could be and still run.
    Did you poke a wire into the holes and blow 'em out with air when you had it disassembled?
    The other thing about little apparent change is its an emmisions era carb, ford probably did the same thing gm did, the idle mixture passages are smaller in an emmisions q-jet so you don't get the same range of adjustment as you would with a pre smog era carb.

I do get the impression the bowl is too full. Need to recheck float height since parts-swapping. It's also at what I'd call the extreme of its adjustment so some creative re-bending will have to happen.
    Then drop it lower. Won't hurt to try, just the nuisance of having to take the air horn off again. No float height spec in the repair kit leaflet? As you drop it, pay attention to the car going lean when you are full throttling it (running the bowl dry).

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

fuel level in the bowl is somewhat dependant on pressure, so if that pump is overly enthusiastic it may be right "by the book" but in practice the fuel level ends up too high. The static height really isn't whats important, its the fuel level that matters, but most things don't allow you to check that so it just has to be inferred.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456