No announcement yet.

kishy's 1984 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please note... max PSI is 35 as noted in the installation instructions: https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns.../022-60769.pdf

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Please note... max PSI is 35 as noted in the installation instructions: https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns.../022-60769.pdf
      Where'd I get 50 from...weird. Yes, 35.
      And based on how much lift I see (unloaded) at even 10PSI, I doubt 35 is needed for my uses.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Yes the wire fishers are handy for the hitch install. I junkyard picked my set up. Luckily I had a long extendable magnet on hard to rescuer the important bits. Same for the install.

Anyway you can rig up a safe/sturdy uprightish position on your bike carrier?
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Receiver extension?
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Yes the wire fishers are handy for the hitch install. I junkyard picked my set up. Luckily I had a long extendable magnet on hard to rescuer the important bits. Same for the install.

Junkyard was an option I did consider, but the savings in effort fighting rusty junk and risk working under a junkyard car were worth the added purchase price, to me anyway.

There is a not-by-design midpoint in raising the rack up where it will sit, which is better than fully extended but definitely not vertical. It's a decent compromise. Other than that...

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            Receiver extension?
            I don't think it would be wise to move the load any further aft of the axle, but it's something I'll look into.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

I don't have the shocks on the car, I was planning to use the air bags instead. And yes I talked about doing this a long time ago. Shows how quickly I move on things.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You wanna know what it will handle? Here's my 93 with the load helpers (the AirLift 1000 bags) fully inflated, back seat full of crap, box full of crap. Level. Estimate probably 350# between backseat, trunk, and box. Had even more in the car when I went to Scottfest in 2015. Probably close to 400# just in the box and trunk. The only thing you'd have to worry about with an extension really is departure angle.
                Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Looks like they do well, then. That cargo carrier is a smart setup. I recently bought one (the standard steel platform type, not enclosed, with folding ability to go vertical against back of vehicle) and I've been thinking that attaching something like a truck toolbox would add utility.

The other consideration with adding length to the car (re: hitch extension) is overall length itself. The Panther is long enough, nevermind Town Car, nevermind it being a chubby bumper example. The car will already be virtually unparkable with the bike rack attached.

Townie has no front end play. I was expecting some, but there's none. This is good, of course, but also means I have limited motivation to rip it all apart for its eventual brake upgrade. Maybe next year. Front end parts are not original on this and I have no background on their age or brand. 95-97 front brakes will go on this. The list of "might as wells" gets impressive there, as we all know. Before you know it you've upgraded to a newer master and replumbed the whole car.

I received the new exhaust hangers today and installed them. I'm not optimistic about their life expectancy but time will tell. The stresses will be applied to the strap piece from a different angle with these ones so hopefully that will make it different this time around. I also re-did the rearmost hanger I put on the driver side, as it had been sagging from the angles I had the hanger bent at. I suspected that would be necessary right from day one with the new exhaust. Due to how everything had been sagging and hanging oddly, and wiggling, the gaskets at the cat flanges came out of position or something and there are exhaust leaks there, but it doesn't sound awful so the priority here is low. Not to mention having water escape points at all joints is kind of helpful to the longevity of these parts.

I bought hose clamps (because Air Lift does not supply ones small enough for 2" exhaust) and installed the heat shields for the Air Lift bags. Clearance is tight but I think it'll be fine.

Test drive went well. Air bags at 5PSI (minimum as per Air Lift). They have firmed up the rear a little even with that little pressure, so it isn't wallowy like it has traditionally been, but it isn't offensive. No weird exhaust noises. Brakes still work. Good stuff.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Length when parking isn't the issue, its driveway entrances. With a bunch of extra behind the rear axle it'll be inclined to bottom out if things are too steep. Besides, modern trucks dwarf these things in overall length, and they have much worse turn radius besides.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

FYI: I didn't use the heat shields. It's been 4 or 5 years. No issues.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Length when parking isn't the issue, its driveway entrances. With a bunch of extra behind the rear axle it'll be inclined to bottom out if things are too steep. Besides, modern trucks dwarf these things in overall length, and they have much worse turn radius besides.
                        I cringe when I see extended/quad cab long box trucks, especially in tight parking lots. I often wonder how many carrier bearings & U-joints they have...
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

stock driveshaft on my S10 extended cab is 5 joints and a carrier bearing. The driveshaft is not longer than a Towncar's. The one in the truck now has 3 and the bearing and it vibrates like a bastard. The original was even worse once it started going bad. Thats why I don't drive the truck much, its like being in a cheap hotel's vibrating bed for however long it takes to get places.

Comment

More things have happened.

195,426km oil/filter/chassis lube, and topped up the ever-emptying power steering. You may recall I swapped on a miraculously non-leaking junkyard pump a while ago and that pump remains not leaking, however the input shaft seal of the steering gear is trashed.

Replaced front 15/16" hollow stock sway bar with 1-1/16" solid cop car bar sourced from 86 P72 back in the summer. Did not bother with paint or anything like that as it's a piece of metal that flexes, doesn't make any sense to waste the effort and material. Reused the junkyard mounting bushings as they were in good shape, plus, the leaking steering gear destroyed the bushing on that side and I don't want to waste good bushings until I can fix that problem. Used new end links, of course. I did have one of the bolt holes in the frame strip out; I rooted around in the garage and found a larger size bolt (for a bumper), drilled and tapped the hole to the larger size and used the bumper bolt. Had to cut it shorter as something is inside the frame rail (probably a steering gear bolt) preventing long bolts from working there.

Added rear cop car sway bar as well. Holes pre-existed in my lower arms. Reused junkyard hardware as it was in good shape.

Washed car for the first time in months. I'm sure it's still dirty but at least it's less dirty.

Hmm...what's that jingling sound?

Between the new rear springs (8805 stock replacement) and the Air Lift bags at 5PSI, the rear is sitting higher than I'd like it, but a reasonable approximation of correct. If I can get the front to come up by replacing the front springs, it should sit pretty much perfect, if perhaps a bit tall. Alternatively I could load a bunch of crap in the trunk.
                            Last edited by kishy; 03-21-2019, 11:34 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              stock driveshaft on my S10 extended cab is 5 joints and a carrier bearing. The driveshaft is not longer than a Towncar's. The one in the truck now has 3 and the bearing and it vibrates like a bastard. The original was even worse once it started going bad. Thats why I don't drive the truck much, its like being in a cheap hotel's vibrating bed for however long it takes to get places.
                              My extender cab Ranger was that way. I think I had to put two carrier bearings in it while I owned it.

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                              ...Between the new rear springs (8805 stock replacement) and the Air Lift bags at 5PSI, the rear is sitting higher than I'd like it, but a reasonable approximation of correct. If I can get the front to come up by replacing the front springs, it should sit pretty much perfect, if perhaps a bit tall. Alternatively I could load a bunch of crap in the trunk.
                              That's what Vic would do
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

You know me well. Although all that crap was already in the trunk before the wagon cargo coils and Gabriel HiJackers.

I was there the day those sway bars were pulled in the yard. I really need to get out more, I think that's the only time I've been to the JY with Kevin.
                                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                                X