No announcement yet.

kishy's 1984 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took a looooong time for my 3G to take my yellow top Optima to 100%. I got "click" one day after it sat for 3 months (oopsie) and then boosted it. Blinkers were slow like the 2G days for about 1.5 hours of driving, mostly expressway with minimal load on system too, just low radio and A/C.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The whine is probably alternator related. The caps on the dash speakers won't fix it. That filters out lows only. The radio might be the source, or it may be the amp in the trunk, or it might just be a crusty connection somewhere in the charging system or one of the ground leads. Either way its dirty power. Make sure the power and ground connections are clean, and if that doesn't help add a cap across the power input to the amp and/or the radio. I have a slight whine issue on the Conti too, and I can guarantee its not ignition noise on that one. I haven't rebuilt the radio or amp, so both probably have tired filter caps. I haven't done external caps either. Current plan is to hope both survive until this winter, then I'll give the electronics a rebuild.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought that's all that cap did for the speakers. What type of cap to add on the power input?

Comment

Something rated to 16 or 25V if getting a regular cap... and at least something about 2200 or 4700uF would probably work. Maybe 2 of them.

Also... this may help: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-W9THWN...ion_guide.html

It mentions checking grounds. If the radio is case grounded, it may help loads to strap a ring terminal to the body and run it to another ring terminal that's bolted to the case of the radio. I know this helped in the Mad Marquis as there is no ground to the connector and it grounds through the case and the support bracket that's bolted to the back of the radio. I had to make a ground wire to attach to.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Let's not forget I removed the alternator noise cap...whether it'll help or not, I don't know, but I will re-integrate that and see what happens.

Battery load tested "OK"ish. Not super great for its capacity but not weak in general. Will swing by the parts store it came from and have them test it. If it fails whatever voodoo they want to do to it, it will be replaced as I'm pretty sure it's still under warranty.

These were the original door speakers...

Last edited by kishy; 07-25-2018, 10:05 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

JUNK. Those speaks even look poopy.

Reminds me that the JBL's I gave you will sound "lower" due to them having a filter on them for highs, I believe anyway. That or they simply don't respond well to higher frequencies. Scratch all of that if they're the two way style as found in Mark VII's, those should respond to upper midrange & treble frequencies just fine. Your car is the only beast I've seen a difference in when swapping known good speakers in place of blown ones. Of course, you could probably just try to refoam your old ones if the voice coils are ok.

Comment

Oil change last night @ 191,343km, accidentally about 1000km early once I found the last record of when I did it. Given that over 90% of my driving is short trips, I don't think it was a waste. It was heading for the S in 'SAFE' so consumption was starting to accelerate as it tends to when the oil ages.

Sunday, my previously well-behaved parking brake release valve started doing that hissy thing they do. Slight tweaking of the shift lever would cure it. Yesterday it gave up and just started hissing all over the place. Popped a new one on today.

That top screw is an absolute bastard. After spending far too much time upside down in my car trying to get that screw where it goes, I gave up. One screw will do.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Thats where I got to on the Conti, except that it moved out of position the first time I ran the gear selector through and the next time I tried it the tab on the column broke the slot on the switch that it engages so now the switch is ruined. Valve works, but it won't move with the shifter.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

WHat a stupid design...

Then again, I imagine very few people had trouble with those during the warranty period or maybe even up to the 10 year mark.

It never hurts to change your oil early. I change it on the truck when it starts to burn oil, which is always right around 2,600 or 2,700 miles before I see anything missing on the stick. I couldn't imagine going to 6 or 8k on that oil as like you said, it's obvious the oil is aging so it can't be lubricating as well as it was. Or maybe it is lubricating too well and thus getting past the rings and stem seals?

Comment

No damage to mine. I was careful to make sure the 'arc' of its travel was correct though...the top screw hole is lined up, just absent of a screw. I can see how damage would happen if the alignment was off though, because you've got some great leverage with that shift lever against such a tiny little plastic thing.

I mean...they seem to make it 20 or so years before the average owner sees a problem, and in this case, 34. Considering it consists of a piece of rubber that sacrificially slides against a piece of plastic under vacuum, yes, it lasted just fine. If it was a more serviceable part, every year one could add some grease on the sliding surface and keep it good forever, but you just can't really get inside these things. You can see traces of rubber debris in mine where it has degraded through use, and there's grease in the new one, which slides much easier. I just wish it was easier to get access to. It may be easier if the column is dropped.

The design is essentially the same as that of the Mark VI headlight switch so it doesn't surprise me they came about at the same time. E1 part number though, on a part that was in use since 79. I do wonder what design improvement they came up with 2 years into its existence.

The 90+ valve is simultaneously both more and less of a pain in the ass. More because the column must be dropped to get to it (it lives on top), and more because it can't be bought new, but less because it's super duper easy to get out from the driver seat once the column is down.
                      Last edited by kishy; 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Wow, I did not know that about the '90+ column.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                          ... the top screw hole is lined up, just absent of a screw. I can see how damage would happen if the alignment was off though, because you've got some great leverage with that shift lever against such a tiny little plastic thing. ...
                          One possibility to prevent too much movement is to use a piece or two of relatively soft metal (like a piece of coat hanger) that will fit in the screw hole and can be bent to stay put.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

l remember when i removed mine just to get the stupid thing out of the car....makes me wish I just left it because it was a royal pain.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Interesting note about the parking brake release valve...the shifter glides so smoothly through its travel now that I keep overshooting OD and landing in D. Much lower effort compared to forcing an unlubricated rubber thing around in a high-friction situation.

Cough, ahem. Anyway, yes. New valve works well (or should I say Wells) and I'll probably put the second screw in sometime when I feel like sacrificing my spine.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                                ...forcing an unlubricated rubber thing around in a high-friction situation...

Comment

Working...
                                X