PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: kishy's 1984 Town Car

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Haha, that headlight aim pic reminds me of the lengths I go to with our cars to get that right. If I drive it all the time, it bugs the shit out of me to not see both beams level with one another. I tend to adjust so the left one goes just a smidge out to the left so it can illuminate the road paint and the right one just a bit more off to the right so I can see the shoulder, but I like both beams to blend evenly into each other too, not just appear like two streaks of separate light... It takes me hours sometimes.
    Thats where aiming my projectors gets tricky. Height is easy, very clean cutoff, set it where its supposed to be. The left/right is much harder to get right, the projectors have a very wide and flat beam pattern, its actually almost easier to set the left/right on them with the high beams because it removes the cut-off shield and gives you a fairly round beam otherwise "centering" them is tricky. It took me a year of tweaking before I got them right in the Town Car, so then I used its lights to make marks on the garage door that I aligned the GMQ's projectors too after I finished them. Worked great except the GMQ sits a bit higher so using the Town Car's reference marks resulted in them being a bit too low, but its close enough I haven't fixed it yet due to laziness. I love the projectors, 1 lamp lights up the road as much as both stock bulbs, but with a better beam pattern and they aren't going to blind anyone.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Ever try that Hoppy thing? I saw one of EricTheCarGuy's videos where he used that. Worked well but needed the nibs on the headlights in order to work.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Welp, if you wanted to see what a slicktop townie looks like, here ya have it. Rear window does look all funky. https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...323327251.html

all the CFI are belong to me

I don't like the aesthetics of projectors on classic cars, but at the same time I recognize what a massive asshole move and safety issue it is to put HIDs in anything other than them. The projectors look right at home on Steve's car though, having seen it in person.

Hoppy is too much $ for me, but that shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

Those pics are useful re: slicktop Townie. Attaching for future reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slicktop-townie-1.jpg   slicktop-townie-2.jpg  

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

That's a very well done slick-top too. Having seen a towny with the landau removed... they're ugly as sin under the vinyl.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Ever try that Hoppy thing? I saw one of EricTheCarGuy's videos where he used that. Worked well but needed the nibs on the headlights in order to work.
    I've actually have a Hoppy headlight aiming kit. I try and bring it on local meets where I know someone might benefit from getting a decent aiming job. If I ever turn up to a GMN meet, I may bring it for anyone that wants adjustments. It just sucks when the aimers themselves seize or the nylon bushing it threads into strips out. Most common thing I see is over time the vertical adjustment gets out, usually aimed at the ground. From time to time, you'll find some badly cross-eyed cars, though.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    I've actually have a Hoppy headlight aiming kit. I try and bring it on local meets where I know someone might benefit from getting a decent aiming job. If I ever turn up to a GMN meet, I may bring it for anyone that wants adjustments. It just sucks when the aimers themselves seize or the nylon bushing it threads into strips out. Most common thing I see is over time the vertical adjustment gets out, usually aimed at the ground. From time to time, you'll find some badly cross-eyed cars, though.
    I remember you posting about using that thing. That's where I learned what those 3 little nipple things on the headlight are for. I actually mentioned that post at our Detroit meet this Summer for some reason. I think it was while riding in Kevin's '84 TC.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I own one, haven't used it yet. Mine is missing one piece that is needed to get the initial level for the floor. I haven't spent the time to use a straightedge and a rule to work out the correction angles. Only works on proper DOT lights though.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    I remember you posting about using that thing. That's where I learned what those 3 little nipple things on the headlight are for. I actually mentioned that post at our Detroit meet this Summer for some reason. I think it was while riding in Kevin's '84 TC.
    That may have been the case, I remember Hoppys...Hoppies? coming up sometime not too long ago. I knew about it before but could just never really justify it especially given that I have 3 different types of sealed beams in use and knew I'd likely go conversion housings eventually.

The conversion housings do not have them, and I imagine the optics are different enough that marking the desired light pattern on a wall and aiming to match is probably the best choice.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    That's a very well done slick-top too. Having seen a towny with the landau removed... they're ugly as sin under the vinyl.
    I'm trying to figure out what the badge is on the C pillar. Can't tell if its factory or not, most likely not. It is well done but shame there's nothing that can be done about the rear window, would need something to cover it externally or new internal trim not to mention another window with a larger defrost grid.

As for the headlight stuff, I don't think a hoppy thing would be enough for me. I spend hours over multiple days to get that crap right. I love the job I did with my Town Car but the high beams aim too high, need recalibration but hasn't happened since it's no longer a daily.

I'm trying to figure out what the badge is on the C pillar. Can't tell if its factory or not, most likely not. It is well done but shame there's nothing that can be done about the rear window, would need something to cover it externally or new internal trim not to mention another window with a larger defrost grid.

As for the headlight stuff, I don't think a hoppy thing would be enough for me. I spend hours over multiple days to get that crap right. I love the job I did with my Town Car but the high beams aim too high, need recalibration but hasn't happened since it's no longer a daily.
    I really don't think the badge is anything Ford put on anything from the factory. AutoZone stick-on stuff like the fake VentiPorts.

I may or may not have one of my high beams angled directly into the face of oncoming traffic to make "turn your high beams off" flashes extra-effective...

Worth noting that the purpose of high beams is to be angled high acting as floods. It isn't primarily about more brightness, it's about higher angle and throwing light more places. This is the reason why there's literally no acceptable time - anywhere, on any road, in any conditions - to have high beams turned on in the presence of other drivers ahead of your car.

Digital Dash Enthusiast Hearsesrock427's Avatar

Welp, if you wanted to see what a slicktop townie looks like, here ya have it. Rear window does look all funky.
    That was originally a frenched rear window car, like kishy's '84. You can tell by the undersized rear windshield. Eva's got the same thing going, once I peeled off the frenched rear window section along with most of the vinyl top, I saw the smaller rear glass piece. This explains why standard rear window cars have slightly better visibility out the back; they have more surface area dedicated to rear glass than the frenched rear window cars. In kishy's case all he'd need is a standard rear window from '80-'89 Town Car (or '80-'83 Mark VI/Continental possibly). Do expect there to be some sort of rust under the top on your '84 if and when you do peel it off, frenched rear window cars trap water under and around tiara bar trim in the middle of the roof. Even cars in relatively dry climates can rust out bad there. My '85 Grand Marq's roof passed the hammer test but there was plenty of surface rust. YMMV.
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 10-27-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added some context
    Slicktopped 1989 Grand Marquis "Ebyt". Primary project.
    255/50/R16 BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires, big disc brakes, polyurethane suspension bushings + body mounts, BBK long tube headers, HVAC delete
    Summer 2019 plans: Aluminum driveshaft, additional chassis bracing

Slicktopped 1985 Grand Marquis "Eva". Secondary project.
    Winter 2019 plans: Full chassis swap, maintenance.

I have yet to see a Town Car with what was called the "Base roof" which was supposedly full vinyl. I've seen them in catalogs but that's it. The French treatment is the best looking IMO. I like the carriage top cars like Ashley's old '89 but they didn't get opera lights, which is now a deal breaker if it's a Townie lol. Kinda one of the reasons I don't like the '90 TC's or later Cadillacs.

Kishy,
    That's how my brights are currently, they provide plenty of light and are aimed high & wide, I just think they could come down a smidge. Just a smidge... (4 hours later...)

Quote Originally Posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
    That was originally a frenched rear window car, like kishy's '84. You can tell by the undersized rear windshield. Eva's got the same thing going, once I peeled off the frenched rear window section along with most of the vinyl top, I saw the smaller rear glass piece. This explains why standard rear window cars have slightly better visibility out the back; they have more surface area dedicated to rear glass than the frenched rear window cars. In kishy's case all he'd need is a standard rear window from '80-'89 Town Car (or '80-'83 Mark VI/Continental possibly). Do expect there to be some sort of rust under the top on your '84 if and when you do peel it off, frenched rear window cars trap water under and around tiara bar trim in the middle of the roof. Even cars in relatively dry climates can rust out bad there. My '85 Grand Marq's roof passed the hammer test but there was plenty of surface rust. YMMV.
    Yep, that.

Thing is, it's a lot less common to find the non-frenched-rear-window Lincolns. It only seems to be stripper models that came like that. I have seen them, but not super often.

Does 2dr Mark VI share rear glass with 4dr Town Car? If so, I'm wondering if this might be a suitable donor. I can easily buy the glass and store it, it may not necessarily be so easy to come across when I'll actually need it. Bonus is the interior colour is, I think, the same as mine so the bit around the window could be harvested at the same time...

It's "less frenched" than mine, but "more frenched" than a base model Town Car. Not sure if that means there are actually 3 rear glass designs...

I presume those come out the same as a front windshield.

Southern

Nice of someone to bend the shit outa a perfectly good trunk so they could look in there and get nothing. Awesome.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

1966 Ford Country Squire - 6.4L 390 2bbl/C6 - ~85K miles
    1989 Mercury Colony Park LS - 302 V8- 188K miles.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 302 V8- 102K miles.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 3x - (42K, 79K-totaled, 222k)

Thought of something. RockAuto lists the rear glass.

For a 1984 Town Car:

VARIOUS MFR DB06046N Glass Only; Heated; 4 Door Sedan; Formal; Optional (Green Tint)
    Crosses with:
    FORD LTD CROWN VICTORIA 1984
    LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 1980
    LINCOLN TOWN CAR 1981-1988
    MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 1981-1984

VARIOUS MFR DB06188N {#EOLY5442006A} Glass Only; Heated; 4 Door Sedan; Half Roof/Carriage (Green Tint)
    Crosses with:
    LINCOLN MARK VI 1980-1983
    LINCOLN TOWN CAR 1981-1989

VARIOUS MFR DB06189N {#EOLY5442006B} Glass Only; 4 Door Sedan; Half Roof/Carriage (Green Tint)
    Crosses with:
    LINCOLN MARK VI 1980-1983
    LINCOLN TOWN CAR 1981-1985

VARIOUS MFR DB06047N Glass Only; 4 Door Sedan; Formal; Optional (Green Tint)
    Crosses with:
    FORD LTD CROWN VICTORIA 1984
    LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 1980
    LINCOLN TOWN CAR 1981-1985
    MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 1981-1984

I then checked a 1982 Mark VI:
    DB06188N (included in above), 4 Door Sedan
    DB06189N (included in above), 4 Door Sedan
    The different one is:
    VARIOUS MFR DB06038N {#EOLY6642006A} Glass Only; Heated; 2 Door Sedan (Green Tint)
    and it only applies to: LINCOLN MARK VI 1980-1983

So based on that it would appear the 2-door Mark VI glass is not usable for anything except a Mark VI.
    What I have to wonder at that point is, is it the same actual glass only differentiated by the defroster grid?

As an aside: "EO" is not a Ford part number prefix, it's "E0" (zero) for 1980. Same goes for FO/F0 (1990). I see this often and it makes me cry inside. Makes searching for parts trickier too.

The yard forklifts the trunklids when they can't unlock them, so that's how that happened.
    Last edited by kishy; 10-27-2017 at 01:41 PM.

I have yet to see a Town Car with what was called the "Base roof" which was supposedly full vinyl. I've seen them in catalogs but that's it.
    You've seen pictures of my car. No stupid Euroweenie roof for me. I want the full 'Murica roof.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Hahaha, maybe ages ago. You never post any updates. Means I gotta go searching for your thread and post in it just to revive it. Would also like to see this Mark VII. Ashley's just died lol.

I wouldn't mind seeing my Mark VII either. Its been a couple years.
    Pics are proof of things that I might wish to deny later. If I've learned nothing from following politics and idiocy in general is that you don't make your own incriminating evidence for people to use against you.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Pics are proof of things that I might wish to deny later.
    I never plan to sell any of my vehicles, so I'm not worried about the potential impact to resale value by showing off my hackjob repairs here n there.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast