No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the side hop from a solid axle vehicle will be reduced by firming up the rear suspension, and knowing you the shocks in that truck are from 1985.

That is one of the biggest differences in my Townie after it lost its rear sway bar, it wants to hop all over in some situations (NB I75 at Big Beaver curve comes to mind). Even on a FWD car, too soft of a shock can cause the ass-end to want to jump around. The '11-'16 Elantra is bad for that, they are a twist-beam rear and they hop all over the place in US spec. Apparently the USDM cars got softer rear shocks to give them a softer ride, swapping in firmer shocks is supposed to fix it. If my Mom wasn't leasing the '16 Elantra she had, I would have ripped out the front shocks before it had 5k miles on it. Drove me nuts. Her's had 17" wheels with lower profile tires, I can't imagine how bad a base model one musta been with 15" wheels. She had a redesigned '17 Elantra as a rental and they almost totally fixed that, it was the single biggest difference while driving it.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
      Yeah, the side hop from a solid axle vehicle will be reduced by firming up the rear suspension, and knowing you the shocks in that truck are from 1985.

That is one of the biggest differences in my Townie after it lost its rear sway bar, it wants to hop all over in some situations (NB I75 at Big Beaver curve comes to mind). Even on a FWD car, too soft of a shock can cause the ass-end to want to jump around. The '11-'16 Elantra is bad for that, they are a twist-beam rear and they hop all over the place in US spec. Apparently the USDM cars got softer rear shocks to give them a softer ride, swapping in firmer shocks is supposed to fix it. If my Mom wasn't leasing the '16 Elantra she had, I would have ripped out the front shocks before it had 5k miles on it. Drove me nuts. Her's had 17" wheels with lower profile tires, I can't imagine how bad a base model one musta been with 15" wheels. She had a redesigned '17 Elantra as a rental and they almost totally fixed that, it was the single biggest difference while driving it.
      I'll have you know they're from 2015, sir. And they aren't even bargain basement RockAuto wholesale closeouts either...they're Monroes purchased retail from Advance. However, they were garbage when new and still are today, so that's not saying much. I think they have a lifetime warranty but if the replacements will also be junk then I don't see the value in swapping them out. Rust in my eyes for no reason.

I've had the hop in the Panthers too, but generally only on extremely aggressive and repeated bumps, like a few potholes spaced just right relative to the wheelbase that the car can't settle again between bumps. The Ranger will get shaky after just a single significant bump. But the lack of sway bar, soft springs, and low-functioning shocks all come together to multiply the effect.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I once found a Gen 1 Ranger in the junkyard that was an old U-Haul truck. Huge front and rear sway bars. Just in case you come across one...
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Ranger Marti report:

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

WHoever ordered that had priorities; I don't need no stinkin' radio! Give me power brakes though.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Its funny that no radio was an option. What was standard, just AM/FM ? or would that have been AM-only? There is actually an electronic AM-only radio. I have no idea why this exists, but I have docs for it in my radio service manuals.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Putter Project has no radio or air conditioning. Strictly a work truck. I guess there was no playing around in the early '80s LOL

Comment

28 days late...apparently the 2.0 wasn’t the only slow thing with that truck.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Its funny that no radio was an option. What was standard, just AM/FM ? or would that have been AM-only? There is actually an electronic AM-only radio. I have no idea why this exists, but I have docs for it in my radio service manuals.
                    Probably just AM. I've seen GMT400 trucks like I've got in stripper form with AM only radios, knobs and all. I went to nab one from a junkyard several months ago for posterity but the shit in the wheelbarrow shifted and killed it..

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      I have been in an early 80s Club Wagon (which I suppose is probably an extended length E-250 with the passenger goodies) which had an AM-only radio with electronic tuning. I also have no idea why it exists. That was probably base for a Ranger as well. The guy did put in a radio, and he was the original owner, and the one he put in was period correct for the truck...it's entirely possible he reasoned that the added cost to upgrade to FM was more than the off-the-shelf price to buy an aftermarket unit.

Newest update for the Ranger is a fun one. Pulled the trans today. It seems to need an input shaft bearing (mild noise when off the clutch pedal, and it does wiggle slightly), and I'm going to have my buddy with the machine shop try to resolve the fluid loss issues out the extension housing. I like to run Redline MT-90 which is not really cheap, and this trans likes to piss a little everywhere it goes, so hopefully I can get that taken care of. Replacing the seal did nothing for it previously.

I would probably consider swapping to a M5OD, but there are some dumb things involved with that, like finding the correct clutch line (TK5 slave input is clocked around 11:00 from the back, while M5OD is from about 9:00, which is also why the M5OD is notoriously awful to bleed the clutch on), and the driveshaft length might be different, and as silly as it is I don't like the M5OD shift levers.
                      Last edited by kishy; 08-31-2019, 05:54 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Make sure the yoke on the driveshaft is in good shape. If that has a groove worn in it, the seal won't actually seal. Worth checking the output shaft bushing too.

I am sort of curious what the cost-add for AM radio vs AM/FM was over no radio. Probably is more than a basic aftermarket radio and speaker package would have cost, and its not like the OE stereo was anything impressive.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

AM radio as base equipment existed so they could charge a premium for FM and above.

Comment

The '89 Aerostar XL my parents bought new had an AM radio with electronic tuning. I miss the old days.
                            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              AM radio as base equipment existed so they could charge a premium for FM and above.
                              I get the upgrade thing, but I don't get why they paid to develop a digital one when they had a conventional analog AM already.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                I get the upgrade thing, but I don't get why they paid to develop a digital one when they had a conventional analog AM already.

Comment

Working...
                                X