kishy's 1985 Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Glad to see someone else doing a bench bleed on the master cylinder. Most shops I know, do not do it or don't know what I am talking about. They look at me like I am from Mars. The adjustable push rod exists too ! I thought I was going insane. I miss doing my own work.
    First time replacing one, so I didn't want to take any shortcuts. I've always understood you need to pre-bleed them before line hookups otherwise it's going to be a massive pain in the ass to get the air out after.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    Being able to lock up the tires isn't necessarily an advantage, especially if its touchy. Once the tire stops turning, the stop distance actually increases considerably vs having it at the point just before it locks up.

people install MC's without bench bleeding? I don't tend to do it literally on the bench, but I use the little bleeder things once its bolted up and bleed the air out.
    Oh, it's not touchy at all. I have to put an enormous amount of pressure on the pedal very rapidly to cause lockup. I am quite well acquainted with locked up brakes ruining an afternoon (ugh), but I also feel that if they can't be locked up at all, something is not working.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

+1 I bench bleed on the vehicle as well... but I also pre-bleed the thing turkey baster style (inject through the ports to force the air up into the reservoir).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My plan of attack for the exhaust repair has gone quite well.

From the planning stage:

What it looks like now:

Used reciprocating saw to take flange off pipe going to muffler from cat flange. Dropped exhaust off hangers to make room.
        Used a C-clamp creatively to reshape the not-quite-round pipe on the cat into something mostly round.
        Hammered a pipe reducer into the cat pipe. It went together with an "interference fit" then U-clamp around the outside after. No force of man is separating those pipes.
        14" flex joint onto the reducer (slip fit). U-clamp with muffler putty sealing that joint.
        Cut back the exhaust pipe further to match length of flex joint.
        Used a lap-joint band clamp for the slip-fit between the flex and the pipe.

While doing this I confirmed visually that the cat is gutted. Original owner did it. Makes sense. It was crazy loud with the break at the flange, as if there was no cat in the picture.

Now, it's so quiet I can't even really hear it idling. Eliminating the fumes under the cab is a nice bonus too. Really pleased with the result here.

I'm not expecting that flex joint to have a super long lifespan (it's a Walker 42216) but flex seemed like the right choice given that nothing was lining up directly. That's a $70 (Cdn) part in retail stores but I got it from RockAuto for $17.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Holy moly on you Canadian flex pipe prices!
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Holy moly on you Canadian flex pipe prices!
            Yeah, that. That's why to get it past inspection (only required to initially plate it), it was patched with soup and pop cans, muffler putty, and a band clamp. That's also why, when that all blew apart back in winter '15-'16, it wasn't fixed until now. I assumed there was some legitimacy to that price (foolish) and figured they'd be pricey everywhere. Not so.

You don't know a loud car until you've heard a 2.0(2.3) with a gutted cat open right after the cat. In a cab with no noise insulation? With a powerband positioned such that you pretty much have to redline it everywhere? The radio was pretty much just there to be a clock, couldn't hear it or passenger conversation.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

I once drove my Mark VII to get exhaust put on it with the mid pipe broken right under the seat on one side. It had a quiet speed, but it was 105 mph. I thought perhaps that was not smart so I just drove with ear plugs in.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The Mad Marquis once had the plugged air injection pipe fall off the driver side aftermarket cat... let's just say that anything was loud... but when cruising... the only reason I could hear the stereo at all was because I had the banging system in it that's now in the Cake. Sounded like a straight piped chevy 350. Also, the hole being where it was... me feet stayed warm without heat from the HVAC system and the floor vibrated very much. Drove out to my Aunt's house (2 hours away) so my cousin could weld the pipe back on. No problem since, but my feet were almost numb by the time I got there. Not as loud as what that 2.3 or an HO would deal, but still enough to wear on ya after 2 hours.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You people are wimps - had a smoke(less) stack thru the bed once upon a time, with a straight pipe feeding it right off the Y-pipe and no turbo to chop the sound down - how a buddy of mine was able to sleep in the passenger seat with that beast roaring right behind him is something I shall never quite understand. The way she is now, turbo with straight pipe and out the side, well let's just say you REALLY don't wanna be next to me when I hit the exhaust brake at anything over 2000 RPMs - and some fool drove right into it fully engaged at close to 3k few days ago, he wasn't there when I downshifted and flipped the switch but he came cruising in like he owns the road despite seeing he can't get past me cause of traffic ahead, well if he was feeling sleepy before I'm pretty sure he was wide-awake afterwards, lol

Kinda curious how much quieter my new exhaust will be, it's factory setup off a 6.0 PSD (yes, even the cat will go back on) so it should be pretty tame...
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Unless it's a big block or straight up performance car, I want the exhaust to be quiet. I took our truck back to the shop 3 or 4 times for them to fix the exhaust manifold leak they kept trying to pass off as "timing" related. Last time I go to that shop though.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I had the flange between the cat and H-pipe give up on the drivers side of the HPP. I learned 2 things, a NPI 4.6 CAN sound really good, like a pissed off Mustang, and that they CAN be unbearably loud.. With it dumping right under my feet while driving, the vibrating floor would make my feet go numb after awhile. I had about a week between when it broke and when I had time to fix it. In that time I made 2 70-some mile trips for the holiday and it was extremely tiring. The only downside is that now that I fixed it the car seems entirely too quiet, I dunno what I want to do about that.
                      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Unless it's a big block or straight up performance car, I want the exhaust to be quiet.
                        I'm with you on that one actually. But when I was redoing the truck in question there was no affordable stainless muffler available that was suitable for devil-fuel application and that was also quiet, so I opted for the straight pipe till a deal came along. I recently installed a Dodge HEMI truck muffler on an OBS Ford, it's like whisper quiet with it yet it picked up some power cause of the larger piping and I'm guessing better flowing design, plus it was stainless too! I'm actually done using regular mufflers on vehicles that are expected to ever see snow, I don't care how good it sounds if it's not stainless it's not going on, I'm tired of replacing exhaust every 2 years.
                        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Yah, fuck the noise of that aluminized bullshit. Stainless all the way for salt spray victims.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                            I'm actually done using regular mufflers on vehicles that are expected to ever see snow, I don't care how good it sounds if it's not stainless it's not going on, I'm tired of replacing exhaust every 2 years.
                            That is part of the reason I like Magnaflows. They are great sounding mufflers, and they are stainless. I took the ones off my '96 and had them installed in the Town Car 5 years ago. The mufflers look great still, however, the pipe the shop put in to connect the much shorter Mags in place of the gigantic stock ones has rusted away. Those pipes them selves didn't look bad, till the one broke and the tailpipe fell off. The aluminized steel rusted away from the inside out, cuz the outside of them just has some surface rust. I'm hoping the shop that did it will cut me a deal on fixing it since A) they did the work originally, and B) I've brought them several cars as well as sent many people to them over the years.
                            -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                            1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

When I bought the truck, the blower motor resistor was inoperative, so I replaced it and its pigtail. It soon became apparent that the blower motor had an issue (bearings maybe?) where the longer it's running, the slower it will run (reducing its max speed and basically making it useless for keeping the windshield clear). At slower speeds it would also get kind of noisy. Chirps or squeal noises. No bueno.

Most recently, the blower has actually caused noticeable idle speed reduction, power loss, and belt squeal (with all other things being equal except the suspected degradation of the blower motor). Picked up a new one and put it in. Wow. Big difference. Maintaining a clear windshield (not getting it clear, but keeping it so once it is) is now actually possible on the lowest setting.

Yesterday, tried to have some fun. It takes some doing. Too often the front wants to go with the rear and then you don't really get much of a drift, more of just a big dumb slide.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Any surprises found in the hamster wheel?
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X