PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: kishy's 1985 Ranger

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Nice!

I wish just one of my Rangers was as solid as yours. I miss driving those trucks.

all the CFI are belong to me

LOL...solid! There's a lot less metal than there once was.

Replaced the inner tie rod ends. Passenger side (which is also the drag link) wasn't that sloppy (no play, but not tight anymore), driver side also somehow wasn't despite being the factory original kind stuffed with rubber. The outers were new 5 years ago and are still good.

Spent some time cleaning threads and also anti-seized everything liberally. The alignment guy is going to be messy but never have an easier job...at least for adjusting the toe.

Had to remove the super destroyed rusty brake shields...I don't think new ones are available. Maybe NOS Ford items if I had a part number, but that would be it, and it's also probably not that important. Their main function ends up being just keeping grease off the rotors from the tie rod ends which can be mitigated in other ways.

Repacked the front wheel bearings. I really wish a swap was available for these (like with the Panthers) to do away with this arrangement, but all twin-I-beam Rangers used this setup so it has to stay.

Last edited by kishy; 10-14-2020 at 10:50 PM.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Had to remove the super destroyed rusty brake shields...I don't think new ones are available - and it's also probably not that important.
    Oh you all on the continent of relative freedom. Here, rusty (with holes) brake shields are a fail in the yearly inspection. When I had to replace both front shields in my Volvo V40, it got a bit interesting. Since what was left of the brake shield and the bolts had seamlessly "integrated" themselves into the knuckle. Eventually tack welded the bastardised new shields to what was left of the originals.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

I'm surprised you don't oil the thing! Our trucks had the rocker & cab corner delete performed courtesy of salt exposure but thanks to Krown and Fluid Film, nothing has gotten any worse.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

all the CFI are belong to me

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    Oh you all on the continent of relative freedom. Here, rusty (with holes) brake shields are a fail in the yearly inspection. When I had to replace both front shields in my Volvo V40, it got a bit interesting. Since what was left of the brake shield and the bolts had seamlessly "integrated" themselves into the knuckle. Eventually tack welded the bastardised new shields to what was left of the originals.
    I am reasonably certain that they are required, but we only do safety inspections in Ontario when a new owner first attempts to get plates for the vehicle. I am also pretty sure that I've had vehicles "safetied" (legitimately) which did not have them intact. The box Panther ones are kind of stupid...flexible plastic (or some fiber plastic-like thing) that likes to lean in and rub the rotor, eventually melting.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I'm surprised you don't oil the thing! Our trucks had the rocker & cab corner delete performed courtesy of salt exposure but thanks to Krown and Fluid Film, nothing has gotten any worse.
    I do oil the trouble spots on this, but the structural integrity of the cab is long gone and was before I owned it, so I don't go crazy with it.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

Gotcha. Although I get crazy with the cheese wiz alright, our appointments are next week. Of course, they never do a thorough job so I'll be on my back & knees touching it up for both our trucks. Yay.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718