No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't be surprised if the U-haul hitches are made in China. I went with Curt for the hitch on my K1500, they're made in Wisconsin IIRC and last I know, they use pretreatment developed by the company I work for. So buy one of those and help put butter & salt on my table, please.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised if the U-haul hitches are made in China. I went with Curt for the hitch on my K1500, they're made in Wisconsin IIRC and last I know, they use pretreatment developed by the company I work for. So buy one of those and help put butter & salt on my table, please.
      The U-haul hitches are Curt hitches made in USA lol. They literally are Curt hitches just with U-haul slapping a sticker on them.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Really?

If so, that's interesting. A team of people were definitely able to afford steak considering what I paid for the K1500's hitch haha.

Comment

Really. =-)

Comment

I do not feel bad at all spreading the wealth around, I only wish others had the same attitude haha.

Comment

I'm sure like anything, U-haul probably has 3 or 4 vendors to get hitches from, depending on application and cost. But I do know Curt is one of those vendors for sure and I'm fairly sure my Ranger hitch is an actual Curt example.

That hitch got installed today. Pretty simple to put on. The wiring became a bit of a challenge though. The plug-in harness connector for a factory style trailer pigtail was chopped off by the previous owner in favour of crimping (ugh) one on. I got rid of that mess back when I got the truck.

I started looking at the wiring today and realized it was pretty bad. Cut some wires and checked, all thoroughly black all the way through. I cut out a lot of wire getting back to shiny or almost shiny, then remade the factory harness with new wire in those spots, as well as added a junction box where the inputs from the truck wiring get joined together with the left and right outputs as well as the new trailer connector. It's not as slick as a plug-in factory harness but it works and should keep things working properly.

https://imgur.com/X3JzgF5
              https://imgur.com/41IofvY
              https://imgur.com/LBCrv2s
              https://imgur.com/nWuxgPf

Also got to try out my new creeper. It's rated for a 400 pound capacity, so I'm hopeful this one will last. It's great...comfortable and rolls well thanks to the large casters.

Pulled the trigger on a 4-bike, platform-style carrier for 2" receivers. At most I think I would need to carry 3 bikes, but this way the capacity is there. I'm going to put a Class III (2") hitch on the Lincoln as well as put Air Lift helpers in the rear springs. The Ranger is likely also going to get an Air Lift setup because it sags considerably with even 200lbs aft of the axle.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

I dislike crimp connectors, and I truly hate them anywhere they might get wet. They're more acceptable when sealed with heat shrink but not too many people do that.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I dislike crimp connectors, and I truly hate them anywhere they might get wet. They're more acceptable when sealed with heat shrink but not too many people do that.
                  I was most offended by the fact that he cut the factory trailer pigtail connector off in favour of crimps. Like, what? Those factory harness extensions make it so neat and modular.

My junction box of doom is not particularly pretty and I do resent the fact I used crimp terminals inside of it, but it's shielded from the elements and should keep corrosion at bay.

At the points where lengths of wire were replaced, the joints were soldered and sealed in heat shrink.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

At least you made the effort in finding good copper.

Adding the trailer wiring is something I should do in the Vic. I dont ever intend to tow anything with that car but I like having the complete package. I have the nice beefy 2" trailer hitch but no wiring. It just bothers me. May start looking into how that goes. I am sure it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some relays back there to ensure everything gets good voltage when requested. Taillights, brake lights, directionals, hazards and reverse? EDIT...license plate lamp....?
                    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 03-03-2019, 05:27 AM.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The stock tow package had relays for running lamps and each turn signal. It also had a power feed from the front for charging a battery on the trailer and the wiring that ran to under the dash for a brake controller. I actually need to re-install that part of my car. I've got it unplugged in the trunk, the harness that gets from there to the socket just never got put back in when the car was painted however long ago now.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was planning to shove some relays in that box, but then the intent behind the box changed when I realized I had so little usable wire on the truck. As you can see there's no room in there now. Breaking the trailer stuff out into a second box containing some relays is a future idea, but it'll do for now. I was going to run a good size battery positive wire to the back and then have rear-mounted power distribution to allow for easily lighting the bed and maybe some reverse flood lighting under the bumper (the same feed could be used for the relay switched side for trailer lights) but that will come later.

Any trailer I own is going to have LED lighting to be less of a burden in that way, so probably a non-issue.

I haven't gotten that far in planning for the Lincoln yet. Relays are always good but if the lamps are LED it matters a lot less.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

LED lighting mostly makes all of that not an issue. Standard lights with thermal blinkers are where you have trouble. Add load and you get the rapid flash thing going on. THat and the extra load on the marginal light switches doesn't help.

Comment

Today, I installed Air Lift Ride Control kit 59516 on the Ranger. This should eliminate sag when pushing the cargo capacity.

Install was straightforward. I'm going with manual inflation valves for now and if I find they really help on a frequent enough basis I may look at an automated compressor system. I have them plumbed independently with the fill valves in the wheel wells.

I also brought the idle speed down. It was around 1000, and is now around 600. I'm not sure what's "correct" for this engine but that's about as low as it can be before the charging voltage starts to drop, so that's the minimum I want it at. Should make creeping along in traffic a lot easier though.

I picked up the Harbor Freight LED vehicle tow light set (magnetic mount to stick on a vehicle in-tow). These were able to prove I wired the trailer connector correctly, and can also be used as needed on my cargo carrier or bike rack.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

most things have a hot idle in the 600-700 range. Too low and its prone to stalling and charging issues, too high and it either bangs with an auto or you ride the clutch too much with a stick.

Comment

I did bring the idle back up to around 750 warm. I think I need to teach the computer something-something, but not quite sure exactly what, as the IAC does not take over no matter how low I bring it down. However the IAC does work because when the engine is cold started it holds about 1500RPM idle speed for a minute or so.

I applied a new sticker to the Ranger, since my employment is more or less solidified now:

Found that the exhaust hanger (same one as used on the Lincoln) has failed (in the same way as the same ones did on the Lincoln). Most concerningly is the fact that the factory hangers were still load bearing and are located just inches apart from this one; it was only there to reduce noise from some effects that are hard to coherently put into written words. So that settles that, do not buy Walker 35600 hangers for any type of use whatsoever, as they are garbage. A proper solution here involves replacing the midpipe and muffler, and I'll probably just end up doing that as my patience for these self-engineered hackjob repairs is thinning. This hanger was only on for a very short time, I think I put it on when I installed the hitch.

https://i.imgur.com/6atiFGC.jpg
                                https://i.imgur.com/2c2QIyI.jpg

The air suspension has been holding pressure and has done wonders for the handling. This truck has a tendency to do a weird sideways hop going over certain bumps, and that is almost entirely cleaned up by a little air in the back. Next step will probably be some shocks that don't suck. I also have a front sway bar waiting for me from a guy on a Ranger forum so that's going to do wonders as well.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X