No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explorer swap in one of the Panthers, lopo + Explorer frame brackets into the Ranger. Done.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Remember the ranger that Ford's SVT stuck an explorer front end on and shoved a v8 into?
      http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-ranger-svt-v8/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        Remember the ranger that Ford's SVT stuck an explorer front end on and shoved a v8 into?
        http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-ranger-svt-v8/
        Now that’s particularly interesting to me since I own a 1995 Variety, mine of course with the 2.3L.
        I was thinking about this one: http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-truck...3-ford-ranger/
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Explorer swap in one of the Panthers, lopo + Explorer frame brackets into the Ranger. Done.
          91 has the flicker of death at hot idle. That car is getting an Explorer 5.0. I just don't have any kind of timeline for it. The lopo is usable but...no.

Nothing but a 4-banger going in this truck. I'm aiming for the easiest thing possible, as close to drop-in as I can get, and dealing with things like different bellhousing patterns, transmissions, driveshaft lengths, yeah. No thanks. I'd also like, in a perfect world, to have this down to a weekend of install work and the only way for that to happen is 2.3. And even then, working efficiently.

2.3 EFI will give me what I want. Good fuel economy in the bad fuel economy time of the year, cold weather driveability, no carb tuning BS, and a healthy power bump over what it has now.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            Now that’s particularly interesting to me since I own a 1995 Variety, mine of course with the 2.3L.
            I was thinking about this one: http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-truck...3-ford-ranger/
            "shoe-horned in there" has nothing on this!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Went to the junkyard with the 50% off sale on engines. There is one acceptable donor (93 2.3). Oil cap looked flawless but the coolant reservoir looked like coffee. They drain fluids so there was no way to evaluate much further. Manual trans, odometer said 57k, driver seat and pedals not too bad for wear so I could believe it'd be 157. No collision damage nor catastrophic rust failure of the body so I figure the engine put it in there. Not worth the risk.

If it was just the head gaskets that went on 2.3s, sure. But it's the head that cracks.

The engine harness also looks to be quite integrated with the lighting/body harness which is discouraging. I've been spoiled by the simplicity of the CFI harnesses which detach completely in a modular manner.

The guy in the front-end loader let me check out the vehicles waiting to go in the yard. No appropriate donor vehicles among them, so they will most likely not get one in the time the sale is on. I'm just going to try for a whole running truck for cheap. Maybe something will pop up with a bad clutch or collision damage for $500 and I can get the whole thing.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

early SEFI harnesses aren't stupid either. I can and have removed the whole harness out of my 86 Towncar a couple of times now. Once it was even put into another car to try and rule out problems with his harness.

definitely want a wrecked vehicle as an engine donor. Chances are very high that it was running at the time of the accident.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

In addition to the carb adjustment thread that has been running in parallel, I made some additional "discoveries" about the 2.0 vs 2.3. There miiiiiiiight be a combination of parts that can put EFI on the 2.0. Awaiting feedback on Ford Ranger Forum and The Ranger Station to see if anyone who knows those engines can comment. I'd like if it's doable, because honestly...it might be more little fiddly details, but it's less meaningful work, as I see it.

But, I have received a response to my local classifieds post looking for a donor vehicle. Local guy has a 2.3 that came from an Exxon dyno lab used for the ASTM fuel additive tests (apparently a 1994 Ranger 2.3 is the engine specified in that test). Supposedly it was a crate engine ran for 11 hours and that's it. I don't know if I believe the 11 hours part since the ASTM testing is a net run of 140 hours, but it's definitely worth taking a look at since it comes with a harness (but no ECM). Test bench harness is going to be everything the engine needs to run, with none of the Ranger's body electrical mixed in, which is a bonus for sure. Guy picked it up so he'd have a spare for the handful of Rangers that are in his family, but none have blown up yet, and the spare engine is taking up space. From reading what I can find about the ASTM D6201 test, the ECM is a Ford EEC-IV with specific calibration for the testing. So a junkyard MAF 2.3 EEC-IV would presumably do the job.

There is a caveat, apparently the test bench engines have some sort of external oiling setup, but all will become clear once I see it in person.

Cautiously optimistic here.
                  Last edited by kishy; 01-09-2018, 05:06 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

wonder if its the oil feeds that the SVO and TurboCoupe used. Depending what it is you may be able to simply plug it, or connect the lines together to complete the circuit. They may have been running an oil cooler or heater to help it maintain temperature.

Comment

Hey, gadget, or anyone else...

I was able to conclude that most likely yes, a 1985-1987 Ranger EFI intake will bolt to my cylinder head. However, the misalignment of the ports (much bigger on an EFI head) is concerning. Came up with this image comparing them. Lost cause? Would there not be a significant risk of fuel pooling in the intake runners?

Last edited by kishy; 01-10-2018, 09:59 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Depends where exactly the fuel injector is. If it would be firing at the head rather than in the airstream its not going to be happy. The turbulence also wouldn't do it any favors. Might run, but the results, especially on a worn out engine, may not justify the effort.

Comment

Looks like I'm getting a 2.3 with EFI!

It appears to be a 95(+) engine (FL400 filter, F5 number on it, and there're some differences surrounding the aux shaft/oil pump drive setup) but it's setup for EEC-IV (which was used up to 94). Accordingly it is a "1994 Ranger 2.3" for the purposes of the fuel additive testing. The harness is not setup to be installed in any vehicle, there are differences from the harnesses used in real vehicle, as well as the lower rad hose connection is different. But all can be figured out.

I now have junkyard fuel rail, fuel lines back to the tank (they're a 3-in-1 plastic moulded assembly on the newer trucks! very easy to remove), body harness for all the pieces I'm missing, complete air cleaner and ducting, and ECM. The engine has the crank position sensor and all ignition parts present; I need to supply ECT (goes in a heater hose), ACT (goes in the air cleaner box), MAF, IAC (was scavenged off the engine while stored), and O2. My exhaust manifold has an O2 fitting on it with a plug in it, so here's hoping it will turn out with some effort put into it. The accessory bracket is only there for the alternator (will take a 95A side-mount 3G) and tensioner, which is perfect, because my truck doesn't have A/C or P/S. I'm hoping my 2.0 clutch fan will go onto the water pump without too much difficulty.

I am worried/suspecting that I will have to pull the head and hone out a little light rust since it hasn't been run in easily 15 years, but the way I figure it, the benefits of this arrangement are huge compared to a junkyard pull. Not the least of which is not needing to pull the engine out and cart it through the yard. I'm paying more than junkyard prices ($300 CAD, vs $77 USD+$50 core) but convenience is worth $ as is the low mileage/runtime.

The goal is to do the swap in the truck's off-season (late spring maybe?). Needs to be done far enough out from next winter to work out any bugs. I need to get the wagon going, my timeline goal of May might not be realistic since it's going to be cold through March...

Then there are the 3 power steering pumps I need to rebuild/reseal...I bought a junkyard pump so I'd be able to always have one extra pump outside of any vehicle, that I can rebuild without pressure.

Ha. Pressure. Steering pump. I made a funny.
                          Last edited by kishy; 01-14-2018, 10:19 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

Nice, sounds like that new 2.3 will do you some good mang. Recall reading about you tuning the carb on your 2.0 to work as good as can be expected given some of its out-of-spec parts and the motor itself being a bit of out of spec. That EFI 2.3 will solve those multiple problems with in one fell swoop- more power, better cold starting, more consistent performance year round (i.e. don't need to adjust fuel mixture and idle like you likely had to do with your 2.0 carb) better MPGs, and so forth. Imagine the 2.0 will find its way into storage, if it's good enough for DD duties it's likely worth holding on to.
                            '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                            '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                            '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                              Nice, sounds like that new 2.3 will do you some good mang. Recall reading about you tuning the carb on your 2.0 to work as good as can be expected given some of its out-of-spec parts and the motor itself being a bit of out of spec. That EFI 2.3 will solve those multiple problems with in one fell swoop- more power, better cold starting, more consistent performance year round (i.e. don't need to adjust fuel mixture and idle like you likely had to do with your 2.0 carb) better MPGs, and so forth. Imagine the 2.0 will find its way into storage, if it's good enough for DD duties it's likely worth holding on to.
                              Bingo, on all counts. What I want is flawless cold weather operation with a seamless transition from cold to warm. EFI is the best way to get that. A tired engine with a worn carb is not. The power boost (and there should be a meaningful one) will be the cherry on top, as will (I hope) MPG gains.

Not sure what I'll do with the 2.0, honestly. It will go on my engine stand and probably live on that stand for a long time before its future is decided. The stand is eating up the same footprint whether the engine is on it or not, so...*shrug*

Waiting on the 93 Ranger EVTM to show up so I can begin working on the map of what wires go where. Timeline is "sometime after the wagon rolls out of the garage next" which is still months out. Lincoln will be the vacation car this year again (in May), but I want to do exhaust work on it before then. If I actually wrote down a master to-do list, I'd push all the cars into a lake and give up.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

good deal on the motor.

I ran out of room on my to-do list for the Continental already. Its two columns on the back of a sheet, done up in the month since I've owned it. A lot of the boxes are checked off though so its not terrible. Need to do one up for the other cars at this point, there are a lot of nagging items that need attention and without something to keep me on track I do precisely fuck-all.

Comment

Working...
                                X