PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: kishy's 1985 Ranger

Looks like its easy to see above the passenger feet;

And seriously jealous of that easy r&r core!

Alex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heater-core-83-92.JPG  
    Last edited by GM_Guy; 02-10-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    ...if fan speed is on the lowest setting, the vent temperatures are properly hot, and the faster I set the fan, the cooler the air. I was working on the assumption that the faster air speed was removing the heat from the coolant too effectively for the amount of heat present to begin with...
    Your issues aside, you are correct lol. This is why I typically run the blower on anything but high in whatever I'm driving, unless I'm trying to defog the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by GM_Guy View Post
    Looks like its easy to see above the passenger feet;

And seriously jealous of that easy r&r core!

Alex.
    1987-1996 F series trucks are just as easy, if not easier to do. Remove the glove box door and you can change one in less than 30 minutes. This is coming from a guy who easily spends 3x the amount of time to do something compared to the next guy.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

all the CFI are belong to me

Heater core is not obstructed by leaves, and air plenum design is such that no foam is needed, air cannot move past it. There are foam pieces at the top and bottom but the sides don't use any.

Upon closer inspection, some disassembly, and some head-scratching, I realized that there is no recirculate function. The lever labeled "outside air" is in fact the "air on/off" flap, and if it is closed, there is no air source for the blower to suck in. So that would be why 1. the air speed drops considerably when it is closed and 2. the blower vacuum seems to be able to pull it open on higher speeds.

I found the (plastic) wall behind the flap that faces the interior and drilled a bunch of holes, so now when the air flap is closed, it does actually recirculate air from the passenger footwell. It basically works like a Panther recirc door now instead of a Ranger dumbass outside air flap. On higher fan speeds it still pulls the flap open partially but that's fine, at least recirculation can actually happen now. Test drive yielded excellent heat with the door in the recirc position so it seems likely that all my heat issues just come back to it being well below freezing outside, probably plus a coolant flow factor, e.g. super cold air comes in, almost all of the available heat currently in the heater core is transferred to the air, leaving no more available, and coolant flow is maybe too slow to sustain the heater core temperature.

If I were to take a guess, A/C equipped models probably have a recirculate vent in exactly the spot I drilled the holes.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 (Pre-Op) | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

When all else fails, modify it so it doesn't suck.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314