PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: kishy's 1985 Ranger

I spray the under side of my vehicles with Chain saw bar lube lasts for years works better than under coating.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Coatings are shit, trap moisture. Oil/lubes are certainly better, just be mindful of the chemistry and what not around rubbers & plastics.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Give me the Cliff Notes version, please

But also, say a problem is found in the field with a given design, how do they find the problem, is it via customer complaint or do they continue to test the products and designs after they're released?
    Heh. I knew a guy who was a powertrain failure analyst for Chrysler back in the day. Basically he'd take a engine/trans design prototype and run it on a dyno till it broke then figure out how it broke and recommend changes. I remember clearly that he found early 3.5l DOHC V6s would pop head gaskets, which was a problem that continued on production engines. Why? When he reported the issue, he was told that it was too far along in the engineering/design phase to fix it. At some point they did, but it wasn't until several years into production. I imagine that is a fairly common scenario. Something doesn't get discovered/realized early on and by time it is the design is too far along or there isn't enough time to change/fix it unless its something simple.
    -Steve

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~95k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, all natural weight reduction as the parts fall off..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

I had a work order that had to do with a thermostat hsg. It was on one of fords 4 bangers. It was a very complicated hsg design with a lot of stack up / tolerance issues. Had to read through about 2000 reports written by dealership mechanic sorry service technicians. Some really didnt explain the issue some did. Some were because of sand that wasnt flushed out well after the casting of the block. Some the malfunction of the thermostat. Most because of the hsg itself. So I ADJUSTED some of the pieces making up the thermostat assembly to correct. Funny part was I told the engineer how it should have been done a much cheaper and wouldt have any issues. He said were were you when this was designed? I told him i was sitting right next to the guy designing the oil pan for the stroked 2.3. aNY WAY IT was to late to change to my better design as the engine already in production.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMerc96 View Post
    Heh. I knew a guy who was a powertrain failure analyst for Chrysler back in the day. Basically he'd take a engine/trans design prototype and run it on a dyno till it broke then figure out how it broke and recommend changes. I remember clearly that he found early 3.5l DOHC V6s would pop head gaskets, which was a problem that continued on production engines. Why? When he reported the issue, he was told that it was too far along in the engineering/design phase to fix it. At some point they did, but it wasn't until several years into production. I imagine that is a fairly common scenario. Something doesn't get discovered/realized early on and by time it is the design is too far along or there isn't enough time to change/fix it unless its something simple.
    Very interesting! Stupid move on management's part. Guess that goes back to failure analysis and damage assessment. Like what costs more, pull the engine or deal with warranty concerns? Still, that's a shitty thing to make your customers deal with it, not good for reputation. I hate management, damn bean counting, pencil pushing morons with no concern for the consequences of their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2256b View Post
    I had a work order that had to do with a thermostat hsg. It was on one of fords 4 bangers. It was a very complicated hsg design with a lot of stack up / tolerance issues. Had to read through about 2000 reports written by dealership mechanic sorry service technicians. Some really didnt explain the issue some did. Some were because of sand that wasnt flushed out well after the casting of the block. Some the malfunction of the thermostat. Most because of the hsg itself. So I ADJUSTED some of the pieces making up the thermostat assembly to correct. Funny part was I told the engineer how it should have been done a much cheaper and wouldt have any issues. He said were were you when this was designed? I told him i was sitting right next to the guy designing the oil pan for the stroked 2.3. aNY WAY IT was to late to change to my better design as the engine already in production.
    So did the eventually phase your fix in or just let it go? Why don't they catch that stuff before production hits? Don't the test engines for several years before production?

They fazed in my fix of the original design but didnt go with my better , cheaper, simpler design. Would have if the original wasn't already in production.

formerly blkpnthr

Pics of the brake carnage from Tuesday:

Today, replaced the master cylinder out of "an abundance of caution":

That adjustable pushrod the people talk about:

The old MC had been actively leaking against the booster, so this was needed. The brakes feel pretty much the same after bleeding, but now it will lock up the fronts if I really try, so it's better all around.

I took it to the shop that did the safety on it 2 years ago and had the technician take me around the block in it. He said it stops perfectly and pedal feels normal. That plus knowing I can lock em up if I need to is good enough for me.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM | Junkyards

fomoco panthers !

Glad to see someone else doing a bench bleed on the master cylinder. Most shops I know, do not do it or don't know what I am talking about. They look at me like I am from Mars. The adjustable push rod exists too ! I thought I was going insane. I miss doing my own work.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Being able to lock up the tires isn't necessarily an advantage, especially if its touchy. Once the tire stops turning, the stop distance actually increases considerably vs having it at the point just before it locks up.

people install MC's without bench bleeding? I don't tend to do it literally on the bench, but I use the little bleeder things once its bolted up and bleed the air out.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

formerly blkpnthr

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Glad to see someone else doing a bench bleed on the master cylinder. Most shops I know, do not do it or don't know what I am talking about. They look at me like I am from Mars. The adjustable push rod exists too ! I thought I was going insane. I miss doing my own work.
    First time replacing one, so I didn't want to take any shortcuts. I've always understood you need to pre-bleed them before line hookups otherwise it's going to be a massive pain in the ass to get the air out after.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Being able to lock up the tires isn't necessarily an advantage, especially if its touchy. Once the tire stops turning, the stop distance actually increases considerably vs having it at the point just before it locks up.

people install MC's without bench bleeding? I don't tend to do it literally on the bench, but I use the little bleeder things once its bolted up and bleed the air out.
    Oh, it's not touchy at all. I have to put an enormous amount of pressure on the pedal very rapidly to cause lockup. I am quite well acquainted with locked up brakes ruining an afternoon (ugh), but I also feel that if they can't be locked up at all, something is not working.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM | Junkyards

+1 I bench bleed on the vehicle as well... but I also pre-bleed the thing turkey baster style (inject through the ports to force the air up into the reservoir).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345