No announcement yet.

Just picked up an 84 LTD CV Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did once have a relay fail in that way, and removing it was how I shut the damn thing up.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      I did once have a relay fail in that way, and removing it was how I shut the damn thing up.
      I once didn't realize relays could be reversed. So I was puzzled as to why every time I plugged the thing in the socket, my horns would go off. That or I forget what I fudged to make mine do that. Back when I was having horn issues with my Townie. Lesson learned there: If the fuse is blowing, check the resistance of the horns, should be greater than 0.8 ohms and if not, adjust them with screw thing until they are, if possible.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Found out what Wagonman was referring to when he said the B pillars we're different.

The seatbelt point was moved up and back.

Also found the differences he mentioned in the seat bottoms. The track is obviously different but the mounting holes on the bottoms of the seats are different also. I'm sure a couple new riv-nuts could be added to the seat, but when I put the passenger track on the floor is looks like the difference there is the right rear bolt hole was further back and raised up on the 90 vs how it is in the 84. Depending on how the driver side is different it maybe easier to make the 90 track fit the 84 floorpan instead of trying to modify the newer seats to accept the old tracks. We'll see. If these seats weren't in such good shape I probably wouldn't even mess with it.

Maybe I should just pass this interior on to someone who could use it and just stick with my current interior for the time being...

Comment

I’m not sure exacly how Nick modified the tracks in my wagon, but AFAIK, he used ‘93 Town Car seats and swapped the ‘87 tracks onto the newer seats and bolted everything back together. There might be some minor modifications needed.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
            I’m not sure exacly how Nick modified the tracks in my wagon, but AFAIK, he used ‘93 Town Car seats and swapped the ‘87 tracks onto the newer seats and bolted everything back together. There might be some minor modifications needed.
            I'd bet the floorpan changed around 89 when the dash did.
            Last edited by Birdofprey; 12-19-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
              I'd bet the floorpan changed around 89 when the dash did.
              Floor pan, firewall, dash, steering column, HVAC (and other little miscellaneous things) changed for model year 1990.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Its amazing how much retooling they spent on just 2 model years. I wonder if the plan was to hold off the generation change for a few more years.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                  Its amazing how much retooling they spent on just 2 model years. I wonder if the plan was to hold off the generation change for a few more years.
                  Well, kinda sorta. That same new-for-90 firewall and floor pan (and a good deal of the HVAC and column design - not the exact parts but the engineering) were carried through, as far as I know, right to the end in 2011.

90 was the year the Town Car got its Aero body. Looking back on it, I suspect the fact the Ford and Mercury kept the old body for 2 more years probably had more to do with Ford feeling overwhelmed/overrunning their schedule and they couldn't make it happen for the Ford and Mercury in time for 1990.

It also might have had something to do with wagons...since the factory never built a wagon in the Aero body, maybe Ford wanted to keep a full size wagon on the market for 2 extra years. Cheaper to engineer the newer stuff under the skin into the old body than it is to engineer the whole new body to match. Just guesses, of course, I don't actually know anything about the 'why'.

Current driver: Ranger
                  Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                  | 88 TC | 91 GM
                  Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                  Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

And they had their hands full with the sudden boom that was the Explorer in 91, I'm sure productions lines were changed to handle the ramp up of Explorer production.

Comment

Drill holes to match and bolt together.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It seems like you could just swap the seat rails and be done with it. Might require a little modification.
                        Another option, which I have done a few times, is to take everything apart and swap the cushions and covers. Not a big job. Couple of hours max.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Drill holes to match and bolt together.
                          Meaning in the seat to attach to the new (to it) seat rails.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            Meaning in the seat to attach to the new (to it) seat rails.
                            Yeah that will probably be the easiest route.

I was surprised to see the bottom of the seat on the 84 was arched the same as the rails. Didn't seem like the flat bottom of the 90 seats were going to interfere though.

Comment

Was it usual for the base wagons to not have the rear door sill plates?

Comment

My base model 88 does have them. My loaded old 82 (a sedan), did not. I suspect it’s an early model vs late model thing.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X