PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just picked up an 84 LTD CV Wagon

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

I dunno, I think woodgrain looks much better than the boring, slab-sided wagons, although they do make good points in how much of a dickache it would be to put it on something that didn't come with it. Otherwise, cool wagon and I love your jeep too, she's a beauty!

all the CFI are belong to me

Tiny rad! LOL!
    That thing's twice as thick as the rad I put in my Lincoln. I'll gladly take that thing off your hands if you're getting rid of it, but I don't know if you've mentioned where you're located...

Based on how clean that thing is, somewhere southernish. But that snowy Wagoneer suggests otherwise.
    Last edited by kishy; 10-04-2017 at 10:37 AM.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

BoP, Look at the decal on the drivers door and tell us the code under AX and we can tell you what rear gears you have and whether its a Traction Lock,(posi) or not. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Thanks for the insight WagonMan, Will do!

Kishy, I'm in Colorado and I know this thing has been here for at least the past 5 years. I think it was originally an Arizona car based on how baked it is. I need to pull up a history report on it.

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Birdofprey View Post
    I didn't realize woodgrain was such a hot topic in these parts. Figured I would find fellow Woodgrain lovers here...
    My dream panther would be a '90-'91 Country Squire with woodgrain. Given the practical reasons pointed out by others for not having woodgrain, it does make practical sense not to have it. Finding the trim pieces will be extremely difficult for sure.

Like Knucklehead said:
    Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    I dunno, I think woodgrain looks much better than the boring, slab-sided wagons, although they do make good points in how much of a dickache it would be to put it on something that didn't come with it. Otherwise, cool wagon and I love your jeep too, she's a beauty!
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-04-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

The tailgate strap is broke so it allowed the tailgate to rub on the edge of the bumper pad. I'll have to take the one off the CP in the junk yard.

I also need the license plate light cover if anyone has a spare laying around.

Just checked my photos and the wagon in the yard near me has a broken license plate cover, so that won't help.

Is the "check strap" everyone refers to the thick metal rod linkage on the driver side? I don't have a literal strap, but I do have a mechanical linkage that seems to be serving that purpose in mine.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

There is a wire strap very similar to a truck tailgate strap on the driver side. mine looks cut but I'd guess the plastic coating got hard and cracked and the flexing caused the wire strands to snap. Without it the tailgate hits the top of the bumper and caused that horizontal rub line.

Similar to these:

The crappy thing is the top attaches to the upper tailgate hinge stud so the only way to get it off the JY car is going to be completely unbolting that hinge.

There is a wire strap very similar to a truck tailgate strap on the driver side. mine looks cut but I'd guess the plastic coating got hard and cracked and the flexing caused the wire strands to snap. Without it the tailgate hits the top of the bumper and caused that horizontal rub line.

Similar to these:

The crappy thing is the top attaches to the upper tailgate hinge stud so the only way to get it off the JY car is going to be completely unbolting that hinge.
    Interesting...mine definitely doesn't have one of those, but due to the metal rod that seems to act like one, the tailgate won't go all the way down against the bumper.

Mine has the linkage too, I think its more of a spring than a stop, but maybe they stiffened it up on later ones to act as a stop. The CP in the JY is an 86 so we shall see if it has it.

Found one of the jump seat photos showed the hinge. Enhance... ENHANCE.

The torsion bar set up in the tail gate is to help with the weight of the tail gate when closing it. It does not have a stop set-up when letting the tail gate down, that is what the cable is for. I have lots of wagon parts including the license plate light cover. E-maIl me for parts, VEIGHTPETE@GMAIL.COM
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

I've read the rear doors are slightly different sedan vs. Wagon, but does anyone know if the door cards are the same? Or is the overall shape very different?

I've read the rear doors are slightly different sedan vs. Wagon, but does anyone know if the door cards are the same? Or is the overall shape very different?
    I'm pretty sure the only difference is in the upper frame and glass.

I have sedan door cards waiting to go in my wagon and I didn't notice any difference in shape. Now I'm going to have to check, of course...

It makes the most sense that the cards would be the same from a production cost stand point. But these things don't always make sense!

The door cards are the same from sedan to wagon. Did you look for the axle code? WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Quote Originally Posted by WagonMan View Post
    The door cards are the same from sedan to wagon. Did you look for the axle code? WagonMan
    Thanks for the confirmation. I'm stuck at work, I'll check it this afternoon.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Tow package doesn't neccesarily mean it had a hitch. Its just a package, the hitch is something you'd have to add beyond that. The sure tell is whether its got a transmission and power steering cooler in front of the radiator. If you have a long loop of steel tube and a teeny cute trans cooler up under the air intake area, its a tow package car. They also came with 3.55 limited slip rears and dual exhaust.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

+1 I like woody wagons, but adding woody to a non is a lot of pain.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Guys, constantly telling me you think itís a lot of work is not going to make me change my mind, this Wagon is going to have woodgrain.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast