No announcement yet.

Just picked up an 84 LTD CV Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That black clip with the spring is what holds on the merc trim. They bolt on. Need a hole with a nut on the other side and rubber seals in between. I can't remember where those red plastic clips go. They mount on a welded stud.

You may consider just getting it wrapped in wood. Or maybe wood and the color of your choice for the rest of the body. Then use some select generic glue on trim. Perhaps as mentioned, paint on the wood. There are kits and places that specialize in that mostly for the old cars that came that way at least on the interior.

Otherwise you would probably be better off finding a nice woody to start.

It is yours but the steel sides do give you flexibility. I kind of like it. I used to drive one very much like that at my old job when it was new.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The spring clip with the stud is for the end of the trim on the doors, both CP and CS have them.
      The CP and CS trim is the same profile, the way they wrap around is obviously different.

Comment

That wrap idea might be the easiest, cost efficient and might even look the best. They can do amazing things with wraps. It can always be taken off if needed. Easy to replace if a panel is damaged. You would not have to weld studs, find plastic trim that will peel or break. Adhesive trim to fade or mismatch.

Comment

I didn't realize woodgrain was such a hot topic in these parts. Figured I would find fellow Woodgrain lovers here...

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            Tow package (dual exhaust)?

No sign of a hitch being installed

H cross over:

Man this underside is clean.

Obligitory engine pic:

That tiny rad will have to go. The PO admitted he went cheap when he replaced it.

I'll have to look up that PN on the alt to see if its an upgraded.
            *edit, nope he went cheap on that too. $32 65amp valuecraft.

Last edited by Birdofprey; 10-04-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I dunno, I think woodgrain looks much better than the boring, slab-sided wagons, although they do make good points in how much of a dickache it would be to put it on something that didn't come with it. Otherwise, cool wagon and I love your jeep too, she's a beauty!

Comment

Tiny rad! LOL!
                That thing's twice as thick as the rad I put in my Lincoln. I'll gladly take that thing off your hands if you're getting rid of it, but I don't know if you've mentioned where you're located...

Based on how clean that thing is, somewhere southernish. But that snowy Wagoneer suggests otherwise.
                Last edited by kishy; 10-04-2017, 10:37 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

BoP, Look at the decal on the drivers door and tell us the code under AX and we can tell you what rear gears you have and whether its a Traction Lock,(posi) or not. WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park
                  70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Thanks for the insight WagonMan, Will do!

Kishy, I'm in Colorado and I know this thing has been here for at least the past 5 years. I think it was originally an Arizona car based on how baked it is. I need to pull up a history report on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                      I didn't realize woodgrain was such a hot topic in these parts. Figured I would find fellow Woodgrain lovers here...
                      My dream panther would be a '90-'91 Country Squire with woodgrain. Given the practical reasons pointed out by others for not having woodgrain, it does make practical sense not to have it. Finding the trim pieces will be extremely difficult for sure.

Like Knucklehead said:
                      Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                      I dunno, I think woodgrain looks much better than the boring, slab-sided wagons, although they do make good points in how much of a dickache it would be to put it on something that didn't come with it. Otherwise, cool wagon and I love your jeep too, she's a beauty!
                      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The tailgate strap is broke so it allowed the tailgate to rub on the edge of the bumper pad. I'll have to take the one off the CP in the junk yard.

I also need the license plate light cover if anyone has a spare laying around.

Comment

Just checked my photos and the wagon in the yard near me has a broken license plate cover, so that won't help.

Is the "check strap" everyone refers to the thick metal rod linkage on the driver side? I don't have a literal strap, but I do have a mechanical linkage that seems to be serving that purpose in mine.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

There is a wire strap very similar to a truck tailgate strap on the driver side. mine looks cut but I'd guess the plastic coating got hard and cracked and the flexing caused the wire strands to snap. Without it the tailgate hits the top of the bumper and caused that horizontal rub line.

Similar to these:

The crappy thing is the top attaches to the upper tailgate hinge stud so the only way to get it off the JY car is going to be completely unbolting that hinge.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                              There is a wire strap very similar to a truck tailgate strap on the driver side. mine looks cut but I'd guess the plastic coating got hard and cracked and the flexing caused the wire strands to snap. Without it the tailgate hits the top of the bumper and caused that horizontal rub line.

Similar to these:

The crappy thing is the top attaches to the upper tailgate hinge stud so the only way to get it off the JY car is going to be completely unbolting that hinge.
                              Interesting...mine definitely doesn't have one of those, but due to the metal rod that seems to act like one, the tailgate won't go all the way down against the bumper.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Mine has the linkage too, I think its more of a spring than a stop, but maybe they stiffened it up on later ones to act as a stop. The CP in the JY is an 86 so we shall see if it has it.

Comment

Working...
                                X