No announcement yet.

Just picked up an 84 LTD CV Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice wagon! Do whatever you want to it and be happy.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

if I were really going to do woodgrain, it would be paint, not the stick-on vinyl like the stock stuff. It also would definitely not use the Ford trim, specifically because the Ford trim is crappy.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Tow package doesn't neccesarily mean it had a hitch. Its just a package, the hitch is something you'd have to add beyond that. The sure tell is whether its got a transmission and power steering cooler in front of the radiator. If you have a long loop of steel tube and a teeny cute trans cooler up under the air intake area, its a tow package car. They also came with 3.55 limited slip rears and dual exhaust.
        I just looked and it has the aux trans cooler and the loop for the power steering in front of the ac condenser.

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
          Nice wagon! Do whatever you want to it and be happy.
          Thank you.

Comment

Kishy,

Here is a some better photos of the strap mounting location.

Comment

Bet if you measured that strap you could fairly easily find one from a truck that's the right length. Just a thought. Also, seriously excited that the woodgrain project is moving forward. I can't wait to see how awesome this thing looks with wood. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                Bet if you measured that strap you could fairly easily find one from a truck that's the right length. Just a thought. Also, seriously excited that the woodgrain project is moving forward. I can't wait to see how awesome this thing looks with wood. Keep up the good work!
                I was thinking the same thing. if the CP in the junk yard is broken or the plastic is hard as rock I'm going to look into going that route.

Comment

The NOS cable I have,(NOT for sale) is 17 1/8" center of eyelet to center of eyelet. 1/2" hole on one end, 3/8" hole on the other. Hope this helps you find a new one. WagonMan
                  89 Colony Park
                  90 Colony Park
                  70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                    *snip* You have an 84 which has an extra weak, extra terrible AOD.*snip*
                    Came across this in another thread, what made the 84 AOD worse than other years? Anything I need to look at right away?

Comment

If you're dead set on having a woody, why not do real wood sides? Get you some good real wood flooring, 3D print some trim and paint it.
                      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                        Came across this in another thread, what made the 84 AOD worse than other years? Anything I need to look at right away?
                        "Rumour has it" there were weaker components and lubrication issues in early year AODs.

However my local trans shops (one of which is considered highly reputable) have both told me they're unaware of any such issue and consider the AOD for its entire run to be highly reliable (with the exception of the weak stock overdrive band).

YMMV.

And thanks for those pics of the tailgate, that's helpful. Going to have to check mine out closer. Maybe it's there and I'm blind. The tailgate will not go all the way down, not even flat, nevermind far enough to touch the bumper.
                        Last edited by kishy; 10-05-2017, 01:23 PM.

Current driver: wagon
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

The early AODs had lubrication issues. Transmission rebuilders used the 86 and newer cores. As with anything else, regular maintenance will help things last. I have put over 200K on a early AOD. I have also had early AODs that only lasted 70k.
                          Agree on the OD band being weak. Normally due to drivers keeping it in OD when driving below 45mph.

Did you ask WagonMan for the Ford part number on the nos strap he has ? Should be able to find another one without too much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            The early AODs had lubrication issues. Transmission rebuilders used the 86 and newer cores. As with anything else, regular maintenance will help things last. I have put over 200K on a early AOD. I have also had early AODs that only lasted 70k.
                            Agree on the OD band being weak. Normally due to drivers keeping it in OD when driving below 45mph.

Did you ask WagonMan for the Ford part number on the nos strap he has ? Should be able to find another one without too much trouble.
                            Do you suppose that having higher TV pressure might preserve the OD band if one wanted to use OD at lower speeds (my thinking being that it would stay engaged more firmly)?
                            Obviously there's a balance, the higher you bump the TV pressure, the higher the minimum speed to stay in OD.

Is there somewhat of a write up explaining the lubrication deficiencies? It's something I initially learned about via either here or CVN, I forget, but it's hard to find more info about outside of here. Not saying I doubt its existence, just that if it's a widespread deficiency surely the info is out there...

rellik god posted a tailgate cable in my wagon's thread:
                            Originally posted by rellik god View Post
                            this is the cable for tailgate
                            D9AZ-7443052-A and it looks to be made of unobtainium, but I'll bet another application fits close enough.

Current driver: wagon
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                              Do you suppose that having higher TV pressure might preserve the OD band if one wanted to use OD at lower speeds (my thinking being that it would stay engaged more firmly)?
                              Obviously there's a balance, the higher you bump the TV pressure, the higher the minimum speed to stay in OD.
                              I've got my TV line pressure bumped up a little bit, and depending on how much you're on the accelerator affect when it'll drop into OD. Typically with about 15-25% throttle, I won't get OD engagement until about 55 MPH. If I want OD at 45, I have to be doing at least 45 and let off the accelerator completely then it'll drop. Getting onto the freeway is easier, too, since I can be at around 35-40% throttle and it'll hold 3rd until about 65 MPH and then kick down.

The only problem I experience is it staying in OD below 45. Sometimes it'll want to stay engaged around the 35-38 MPH mark. I'm wondering if bumping up line pressure just a bit more will help there in getting a quicker upshift from OD to 3rd so it doesn't bog at light throttle.

My Cars:
                              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The 84 also used a smaller / weaker overdrive servo in addition to the lube issues mentioned. For a stock engine its fine, but its not the one to use if you want high performance. Change the fluid and don't do anything really stupid with it and you should be fine. It has a cooler, that goes a long way towards helping it already. If it fails, get a later one to have rebuilt.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X