PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up an 84 LTD CV Wagon

I like cars and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Birdofprey View Post
    I'd bet the floorpan changed around 89 when the dash did.
    Floor pan, firewall, dash, steering column, HVAC (and other little miscellaneous things) changed for model year 1990.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 (Pre-Op) | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards thread/Flickr

Its amazing how much retooling they spent on just 2 model years. I wonder if the plan was to hold off the generation change for a few more years.

I like cars and stuff

Its amazing how much retooling they spent on just 2 model years. I wonder if the plan was to hold off the generation change for a few more years.
    Well, kinda sorta. That same new-for-90 firewall and floor pan (and a good deal of the HVAC and column design - not the exact parts but the engineering) were carried through, as far as I know, right to the end in 2011.

90 was the year the Town Car got its Aero body. Looking back on it, I suspect the fact the Ford and Mercury kept the old body for 2 more years probably had more to do with Ford feeling overwhelmed/overrunning their schedule and they couldn't make it happen for the Ford and Mercury in time for 1990.

It also might have had something to do with wagons...since the factory never built a wagon in the Aero body, maybe Ford wanted to keep a full size wagon on the market for 2 extra years. Cheaper to engineer the newer stuff under the skin into the old body than it is to engineer the whole new body to match. Just guesses, of course, I don't actually know anything about the 'why'.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 (Pre-Op) | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards thread/Flickr

And they had their hands full with the sudden boom that was the Explorer in 91, I'm sure productions lines were changed to handle the ramp up of Explorer production.

Drill holes to match and bolt together.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

fomoco panthers !

It seems like you could just swap the seat rails and be done with it. Might require a little modification.
    Another option, which I have done a few times, is to take everything apart and swap the cushions and covers. Not a big job. Couple of hours max.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Drill holes to match and bolt together.
    Meaning in the seat to attach to the new (to it) seat rails.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Meaning in the seat to attach to the new (to it) seat rails.
    Yeah that will probably be the easiest route.

I was surprised to see the bottom of the seat on the 84 was arched the same as the rails. Didn't seem like the flat bottom of the 90 seats were going to interfere though.

Was it usual for the base wagons to not have the rear door sill plates?

My base model 88 does have them. My loaded old 82 (a sedan), did not. I suspect it’s an early model vs late model thing.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Went back to the JY today and took some photos of the 90 and some of the other cars of interest.

Is that '90 still there? I've been wanting to get my hands on a set of HVAC controls that don't have floppy sliders. Those look to be intact. Is that a ATC car? I need a manual control set.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - getting her back in shape (POTM March 2017)
    1995 Mustang Cobra coupe - keeping it simple
    1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    Is that '90 still there? I've been wanting to get my hands on a set of HVAC controls that don't have floppy sliders. Those look to be intact. Is that a ATC car? I need a manual control set.
    That car is still there. I'll check the HVAC controls next time I'm there and grab it if your serious about wanting them.

Whats ATC?

That car is still there. I'll check the HVAC controls next time I'm there and grab it if your serious about wanting them.

Whats ATC?
    Automatic Temperature Control. They look like the manual type. Just a little difficult to see.

I'm definitely serious. None are ever on eBay, and all that I've come across in yards are similarly broken with floppy sliders.

The yards around me just don't really have box panthers. If they do, most things are already picked, broken and unusable, or '89 and earlier stuff that I can't use.
    óJohn

1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

Cool, I will take a look and snap you some closer photos next time I'm there.

I appreciate it. While I'm here, I gotta say I really like the wagon. I'm partial to the non-woody cars. My wife actually surprised me the other day when she said that she would have preferred a wagon over the sedan I currently own. I would have liked to have had a wagon, however, they are few and far between down here. Seems like all the used panthers are up north.
    óJohn

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Giraffe, you can always try to fix the spacers that keep the control unit levers steady, if you have time/patience for that. That's what Mr Bean did: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post770671

For a car with manual controls I would rather swap to later rotary style controls, but that requires installing an electronic blend door actuator. I have all the parts, but 2017 hasn't been good to me so I never got around to doing any of my planned projects. Keeping things going was all I had time for.
    Also, I believe there is some discussion before the above linked post where we talked about how to get at those spacers for repair. And my final off topic note, with manual controls the unit from an Aero is not a direct swap (I've found since discussing in the above linked thread) since they switched to electronic BDA (which made sly's rotary swap much easier on his '93) unless '92 still used the manually actuated setup (I wouldn't count on it). So you are stuck with just '90-'91 for a plug-and-play stock unit replacement.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Giraffe, you can always try to fix the spacers that keep the control unit levers steady, if you have time/patience for that. That's what Mr Bean did: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post770671

For a car with manual controls I would rather swap to later rotary style controls, but that requires installing an electronic blend door actuator. I have all the parts, but 2017 hasn't been good to me so I never got around to doing any of my planned projects. Keeping things going was all I had time for.
    Also, I believe there is some discussion before the above linked post where we talked about how to get at those spacers for repair. And my final off topic note, with manual controls the unit from an Aero is not a direct swap (I've found since discussing in the above linked thread) since they switched to electronic BDA (which made sly's rotary swap much easier on his '93) unless '92 still used the manually actuated setup (I wouldn't count on it). So you are stuck with just '90-'91 for a plug-and-play stock unit replacement.
    I've considered the later style rotary knobs as well. I'm about 99% certain that the rotary setup in 1994-1998 Mustangs had a cable-actuated blend door. Might be possible to retrofit that into the car if the dimensions are the same.
    óJohn

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

makes me wonder if it wouldn't be possible to modify an 80s climate control head to drive the electronic BDA and have proper EATC. I have no desire to convert my car to a later style head unit, so basically its that or make it manual cable drive blend door when the stupid vacuum regulator thing bites the dust at some point in the future.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Just realized I didn't circle back around on the HVAC from the JY 90 for Giraffe.

I stopped by the JY back on that Friday and found the sliders were VERY loose. Sorry that didn't work out.

Video:
    IMG_5444.TRIM.MOV

Southern

I took the foam and fabric from a 93 town car and put it onto the 87 frame. For the butt cushion.

For the back rest, it was a bolt on affair. Same seat tracks. Voila.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

1966 Ford Country Squire - 6.4L 390 2bbl/C6 - ~85K miles
    1989 Mercury Colony Park LS - 302 V8- 188K miles.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 302 V8- 102K miles.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 3x - (42K, 79K-totaled, 222k)

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast