No announcement yet.

Just picked up an 84 LTD CV Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my experience with smog checks in Ca. The locking ones fail most often. I used to keep a regular one for the smog test every two years. Kept it in a plastic bag. Put the locking one on after the test. Never failed again because of a cap. Maybe if you go to an auto parts store like Napa, they will let you fit it before you buy it.

Comment

That's how they are through 85 (and that Stant is pretty much identical to the factory-equipped caps too). Non-vented simple flat metal cap with a rubber ring. Not much to it. Goes on with a quarter turn, vs the locking replacements that push on.

86 got the thread-on, clicky (and I think venting) type.
      Last edited by kishy; 11-29-2017, 03:18 PM.

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Tell me, you poor soul, what led you down the path of purchasing an 84 Wagon?

Also, I pretty much came to expect that the tail gate cable on all the wagons are snapped directly in half. I've been dealing with all the other crap for the last two years so I had no time to focus on trying to repair mine. Let me know how the installation goes, it looks quiet involved from the surface of it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
          That's how they are through 85 (and that Stant is pretty much identical to the factory-equipped caps too). Non-vented simple flat metal cap with a rubber ring. Not much to it. Goes on with a quarter turn, vs the locking replacements that push on.

86 got the thread-on, clicky (and I think venting) type.

I'll have to take a photo of the stant one sitting in the fill neck. Something is goofy.

I'll probably just end up getting a new locking one and leaving the key in it at all times. Its the extra key on the key right that really drives me nuts.

Comment

possible someone put a later fuel neck in there. They do rot out sometimes.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, my '85 LTD had the flat cap style. And like gadget says I've seen lots of rotten filler necks at yards.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Silence

After someone cut me off I realized my horn doesn't work. a quick look around the engine bay showed no sign of the horns. Are they tucked in somewhere on these?

Also has a dead battery a few weeks ago because I left my head lights on. I've got to look under the dash and see if I can find a disconnected chime. Its like the PO put it into stealth mode!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                  After someone cut me off I realized my horn doesn't work. a quick look around the engine bay showed no sign of the horns. Are they tucked in somewhere on these?

Also has a dead battery a few weeks ago because I left my head lights on. I've got to look under the dash and see if I can find a disconnected chime. Its like the PO put it into stealth mode!
                  The horns are hiding inside the fenders out near the headlights. You can get to them from the engine bay. I think the chances of both horns being faulty are pretty slim, either a wiring fault exists, they were unplugged, (or a combination of those two together), or the relay is bad, or the switch it bad. Stupid question but you're pushing in the turn signal lever, not the middle of the wheel, right?

The chimes disintegrate with age, there's a foam piece inside that falls apart and they stop making noise. They can be refurbed if you're creative or junkyard is the best bet for replacement, but it may have also died. Google "ford chime foam" and you'll see what I mean.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Yep, pushing the lever. I had an old Renault/Eagle Medallion many years ago that had a lever horn. Its goofy but you get used to it.

The PO said he had a neighbor that was stealing parts off it (battery, stater solenoid) so there is a chance that he took the horns! I'll have a look in the fenders and see what I can see!

Comment

in the fenders accessed via large hole in header panel mount location. directly behind the blinker/parking light housing. One horn each side. May need to remove the battery to gain access on the passenger side.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the horns are enough of a PITA to access that I'd be very surprised if anyone stole them.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, especially knowing now that one is on each side, odds are wires got cut/ripped when the starter solenoid got stolen.

Comment

wiring runs from the driver's side to the passenger so even if the PS wiring was damaged, the other one should work. Assuming no blown fuse of course.

Comment

Found the horns, they were both there and in tact. The relay was missing, replaced that and got horn back.

Noticed 2 other empty connectors, am I missing something else or were these for optional equipment?

Untitled by crklinejr, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                                Found the horns, they were both there and in tact. The relay was missing, replaced that and got horn back.

Noticed 2 other empty connectors, am I missing something else or were these for optional equipment?

Untitled by crklinejr, on Flickr
                                In a manner of speaking...the optional code reader that you plug in to read the codes Those (as a pair) form the EEC-IV diagnostics connector.

I would suspect the horn switch in your turn signal switch might be flaky or prone to getting stuck and the relay might have been pulled because the horn was stuck on. Just a thought. Try using something like white lithium grease on the stalk...you can pull it straight out with a good tug.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X