No announcement yet.

Site Upkeep, Status, Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XenForo SUCKS if you are on a slow connection. Reply to a message? forgetaboutit.
    For the faults vbulletin might have, the view is simple, uncluttered and easy to navigate.

Comment

I know fuck-all about what you guys are talking about, just that some forums run great and some like total dogshit. If there's a positive change to be made, i'd be glad to donate(throw) a little money at it but leave the work to experts. Being a tradesperson, I appreciate people that don't fuck with things they know nothing about so I try to do the same in kind. Aside from working on cars of course....lol.

Comment

Xenforo...no first-hand experience. Like vBulletin, commercial software with a paid-for license. Not necessarily preferable for a community that doesn't draw in a source of income (donations are great, but it'd be better to point those at server resources I think - depends on what there is already I guess). I'm by no means a big Free Open Source Software advocate when the best choice for a purpose might be the commercial option, but I think they need to be kept on the table until they can be eliminated on their merits or lack thereof.

As far as slow connections go, there is a reality to be faced which is that very few forum/CMS platforms are going to be geared towards performance on sub-megabit-per-second links. I'm not hell-bent on ditching vBulletin but one has to wonder if it's the right choice. Weigh the effort to fix the existing concerns vs just migrating to a new platform...

Thain, expect a PM in the near future and I'll see what I can come up with idea-wise.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

If it comes to staying private vs. having commercial adverts and shit slowing the site down, I reckon we'd have enough donors to keep it quiet. I fucking hate scripts and junk screwing up a forum. Corral is a case-in-point. That site runs so shitty I only go on when i'm desperate for something. Certainly not for posting or content. Strictly to buy stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X