Bigger front swaybar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger front swaybar

I know it’s on here some where but can’t find it. After getting my new (to me) rear swaybar which does make a difference, the front seams like it need more help. Which front swaybar do I need the wagon or the pi one. I think I seen the wagon ones were better but not sure. And which years do I look for or do anyone of y’all have one for sale. Thanks in advance

Either will do, the wagon has a larger diameter but is hollow, where as the police is slightly less and solid. 79-91 box's will work, the challenge will be finding either one of them.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Wagon one is preferred to the police one because it's lighter, but other than that... What he said^^

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You can also go after market. Addco makes one for the 92 and up cars I believe but is designed to utilize the same end links as the boxes do. Its BIG bucks and is a smidge too wide so it rubs tires on full lock.
        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-26-2017, 07:38 PM. Reason: year error...
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The wagon part is also more available, so it has that going for it over the PI part.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

just to be clear that mean both vic wagon and mgm wagons sway from 79 threw 91 are better

Comment

Yes, but if you want to be certain they should measure 1 3/16" in diameter
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                Yes, but if you want to be certain they should measure 1 3/16" in diameter
                SO u are saying that some wagons have small swaybar

Comment

No, I just simply don't know, and it always helps to check
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I have an addco on the car and no rubbing problems with it if that helps. Have pretty big tires on it too. Yeah, good luck finding the other ones. Wagon will definitely be more common. Kicking myself for not grabbing one when I had the chance at a local yard.

Comment

Is there any particular reason you can't use the '92-'02 sway bars? We know they fit when doing the big brake swap, and we know they work with box style end links on a aero/whale since they retained the mounting holes in the lower control arms. There are at least a few '92-'02 owners out there using box end links with the stock front bars. Just a curiosity question. If they work then that would greatly expand the sway bar options for the box platform since '92-'02 cars are more common and have solid sway bars ranging from 25mm-29.5mm depending on application. I currently have a '98-'02 P71 (29.5mm) front bar and no rear bar on my '97 Town Car after the rear bar mounts rotted off the frame, it still handles better than it did with the stock 26mm front and 17mm rear.
                      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Okay last question if I do find a wagon swaybar and then do the big brake conversion will I still be able to use the wagon swaybar. Or will I need the donor car swaybar.

Comment

The newer cars use a different style sway bar end link. It mounts to the top of the spindle near the ball joint. However:

The lower control arm mounting hole for the box-style sway bar end link is still present on newer control arms, so even if you replace the lower control arms entirely, if they still have the holes for the old style end links, you will be able to use the old style end links.

Edit, Whoops. BigMerc96 already said this above.

Current driver: wagon
                          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                          | 88 TC | 91 GM
                          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

I don’t get what bigmerc was saying. So the 98-02 swaybar would be even better than the wagon one

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                              I don’t get what bigmerc was saying. So the 98-02 swaybar would be even better than the wagon one
                              Maybe, maybe not. I honestly don't know. I know it would probably be easier to find, however. I'm not even sure it would fit a box body, that was why I asked here, hoping someone may know.
                              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Working...
                              X