Won't start, what am I overlooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start, what am I overlooking?

A few weeks ago on the way home from work, the fuel pump died, I have replaced the pump and it hasn't run since.
    I put in the same pump and have good pressure at the rail, I have spark(even put in a new coil just in case the other one wasn't strong enough).
    I've swapped relays and still it's not starting, fuel pump is turning on as it should
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Air: nothing changed, your throttle blade is still set the same as it was before, so should be no issue here.

Fuel: 1/2: pump pressurizes the system, OK there. 2/2: are the injectors actually putting any fuel into the cylinders?
    If fuel pump is priming, ECM is triggering the fuel pump relay, therefore the ECM power relay is working and the ECM is powering on.

Spark: 1/2: it sparks, so coil and mechanical parts good. 2/2 is the spark happening at the right time?

PIP is the only thing I can think of that could affect both failing to put fuel in and failing to spark at the right time. But even if both were way off but still happening I'd think it would at least fire and sputter a bit.

If the system is pressurized even if the pump has no power, the engine should start, then stall almost immediately. If it never did that, it does prime every time you turn key to run, and the system is still pressurized (40PSI+) then I don't see it being an issue with the pump or electrics feeding it.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Check for power at the injectors. They should all have 12V with key on. The ECM is a low side trigger (meaning it connects the circuit to ground to pulse the injector). If the injectors don't have 12V, check the wire harness to the mess around the brake booster and make sure nothing is disconnected or otherwise messed up there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, injectors were the next step.
        Gotta do some testing when the weather is clear.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I tried to start again this morning and same result, then I checked a few plugs and they didn't smell like any fuel had been in there.
          I had a spare computer so I put that in and the car started right up, I guess there's a reason why I keep extra parts around.

Comment

Hrm, I have yet to see a computer fail in one of these. I'm chasing gremlins in our Mark VII. Got it back from shop, said they replaced the TFI harness and that "the timing was waay off!" So they advanced it wayyy too much, I put it back at 10 BTDC without the spout connector and now it's got hesitation/miss at part throttle or really any throttle beyond 30%. As they had it, it was pinging but no dead spots. Idle is smooth as silk in or out of gear. Leads me to think TFI or PIP. Balls cold so I quit for today.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yeah, that's really odd.
              The ECM commands the fuel pump relay on, so if you had priming fuel pump, you had the ECM at least powering up. So if there's a main internal fuse or something, that shouldn't have been toast.

Electronics can and do fail, though. I wonder if any of our resident board-level-electronics-repair guys might want to take a stab at figuring out what failed.

Current driver: wagon
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

I have no idea what failed but you can open the computer up Tom and see if there is anything visibly bad in there. If so repair kits/part numbers are flowing around the corral.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have seen plenty of people who are looking to replace a computer being told that they never(or rarely) fail, I find it odd as well.
                  I don't know what happened, but the car didn't run with the old computer and does run with the new one...it may not make sense, but it's what happened.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    I have no idea what failed but you can open the computer up Tom and see if there is anything visibly bad in there. If so repair kits/part numbers are flowing around the corral.
                    I was hoping to find something melted or brown/burnt, but at first look I didn't see anything.

Comment

Id also be curious to see if you swap the now labeled "bad" computer in and see if it runs. Maybe contacts just needed to be brushed up?
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The Mad Marquis was running wonky right before the ECM let the magic smoke out. Which reminds me... I need to update my for sale threads. I still have an 86/87 ECM I had as a spare.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the ECM does rarely fail, but that doesn't mean they never fail. These things are pushing 30 years old at this point. I re-capped mine, they were leaking magic juice and starting to corrode the board.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                          X