93 crown vic - PI engine install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 crown vic - PI engine install questions

My friends daughter grenaded the stock engine on his 93 crown vic. we have decided to install PI engine from a 2001 Grandmarquis. I know the swap has been done on Sly's 93 car. looking for input on what needs to be swapped over and other useful tips on whats needed to make the swap happen.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Are you looking to keep the stock ECM or no? I tried making the stock stuff work with the COP instead of the coil packs, and it just would not. I suspect that was the real source of the problems with the stock ECM. I think Ryan got his to work with the stock ECM and the coil packs though. If you want coil packs you're probably looking at an ECM and harness swap to an OBD2 setup.

I want to say there was a custom EGR pipe made, but I think it was to try and retain the original one-line DPFE sensor that the 93 used when we were planning to retain the stock ECM but still mate up to the late style exhaust manifolds.

the details just aren't coming to me at this point. Its been too long.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The plan, for now, is to keep the stock ECM - EEC-IV system and coil packs. no interest in coil on plug for this application.

This car already has Mustang 4.6L shorty headers and a custom 2.5" exhaust with X-pipe, so the EGR supply tube has been modified to fit.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

With the pi engine, you can probably use a stock egr tube then. Just have to get the right year for passenger side or driver side exhaust header. I'm not sure where the cut-off is.

and I'll go ahead and post the stuff I posted on FB and add a few more points I forgot about...

98 fuel rails and you'll have to extend the fuel lines to go around to the connections on the passenger side because the FPR would interfere with the wiper motor housing. The fuel lines will straddle the oil fill neck just right.

You will have to extend the injector harness wires. They sit flat on top of the 93 intake but the PI intake is taller and the wires need to be routed around it.

You will also have to drill and tap the boss on the driver side of the coolant crossover next to the thermostat to install the temp gauge sensor. Make sure to get it far enough away from the thermostat so you can actually get a socket on it. Mine is a little tight and I have to use an open end wrench to start it. (Stock intake might already have that port. Dorman (shit) one will have that port.)

Use a water pump with the mechanical fan threads if keeping the mechanical fan. Otherwise, and water pump that fits will work.

I think that's the bare minimum to get a fully dressed PI engine in. The current AC compressor will bolt up no problem.

Use a 1992 police alternator to get the 130A plug and play alternator if you want to upgrade from the 95A stock one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

All the external crap will work, so AC Power steering, exhaust manifolds, etc... Does a '93 have driver or passenger side fuel lines? If drivers side, find '96-'97 fuel rails, if passenger side, '98-'02. Toughest part is probably going to be the EGR tube as already mentioned as IIRC the '96-'97 tube doesn't fit with the earlier manifolds and of course they are 2-line DPFE, but if its already been modified, then, meh, NBD. The car ought to run off the later timing gears (crank and cam trigger wheels) but you may need the '93 sensors to satisfy the ECU and actually have them fit. I ran into that issue on my '97, for whatever reason the cam sensor listed a few places I checked for a '95+ is actually the '01+ sensor and while it has the same plug and everything, it doesn't fit under the coil bracket because the '92-'00 cam sensor has the plug at a right angle, not sticking straight out like the later ones, so the plug hit the ignition coil. Had to buy one for a '94 and that was the correct one for my Aero.
          -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
          1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

2001 PI installation was a complete success... had the guys at MO's speed shop do a custom tune and the car dyno'd at 240HP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1405_zpsyzqya4lj.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	1283492

Comment

nice

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

cool. What did you end up doing with it for controls and plumbing?
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

everything is stock 93 OBD-I, except for the IAC. custom made EGR tube and marauder air box and 2004 zip tube

Comment

Working...
                  X