PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Eldelbrock valve cover fitment

  1. #1

    Default Eldelbrock valve cover fitment

    I am getting a set of what appears to be brand new blank valve covers for a smoking deal, do these fit under the intake on EFI engines?

    Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic4997_1.gif

  2. #2
    Beater gonna beat sly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    19,040

    Default

    Easy way to find out... Measure how high your stock covers are from the head to the top flat and then measure the new covers.

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

  3. #3
    I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,476

    Default

    How tall are they? There isn't a ton of extra room unless you add an intake spacer. Those are commonly available in 3/8 or 1" sizes.

    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

    91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

    Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    How tall are they? There isn't a ton of extra room unless you add an intake spacer. Those are commonly available in 3/8 or 1" sizes.
    I will have to measure them tomorrow, spacer is an option though; I can either use them on the GM or the Bronco but both are EFI. If I can't use them I have some room to turn a profit on them.

    Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic4997_1.gif

  5. #5
    I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,476

    Default

    where I've found you tend to run into issues is the oil fill hole. The carb ones are in the opposite ends vs the EFI ones, and there are two. One you have to close off, and its usually under the intake manifold somewhere. I have 1985 Mustang covers on mine, the flat oil cap under the intake has some "hammer tuning" for clearance, the other one fits fine but its mildly a pain in the ass to use as an oil fill just because the air intake pipe is in the way. They look nice but if I'm being honest about it, the stock EFI covers are more convenient. I also had to find an 85 oil cap with the PCV valve in it and modify that for the fresh air return. Mass air doesn't like unmetered air sources.

    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

    91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

    Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    where I've found you tend to run into issues is the oil fill hole. The carb ones are in the opposite ends vs the EFI ones, and there are two. One you have to close off, and its usually under the intake manifold somewhere. I have 1985 Mustang covers on mine, the flat oil cap under the intake has some "hammer tuning" for clearance, the other one fits fine but its mildly a pain in the ass to use as an oil fill just because the air intake pipe is in the way. They look nice but if I'm being honest about it, the stock EFI covers are more convenient. I also had to find an 85 oil cap with the PCV valve in it and modify that for the fresh air return. Mass air doesn't like unmetered air sources.
    That's what I was thinking I had read but wasn't sure where I had seen that conversation. I will probably just try to flip them locally then.

    Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic4997_1.gif

  7. #7
    I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Southern Commiefornia
    Posts
    1,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Mass air doesn't like unmetered air sources.
    Haha yep! Ran a similar setup on the wrecked '90 when I did the top end work. I had tall Motorsport Valve covers and ran the PVC-type push-in for the fresh air return. I was also running a taller intake(rpm) with a spacer. Think it's 1/2" thick but i'll check next time i'm over in the garage. With the taller intake and shorter runners, I could almost reach and remove the valve cover bolts and valve covers, almost. If you like those covers it may be worth the trouble to make them work. I had to run the tall ones because of my rocker setup so there was no choice.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Haha yep! Ran a similar setup on the wrecked '90 when I did the top end work. I had tall Motorsport Valve covers and ran the PVC-type push-in for the fresh air return. I was also running a taller intake(rpm) with a spacer. Think it's 1/2" thick but i'll check next time i'm over in the garage. With the taller intake and shorter runners, I could almost reach and remove the valve cover bolts and valve covers, almost. If you like those covers it may be worth the trouble to make them work. I had to run the tall ones because of my rocker setup so there was no choice.
    Yeah, not something I have to run. Neither the GM or the Bronco have any engine work and neither really warrants being dressed up. The Bronco was the likely candidate to get them as I am going to do cable cover gaskets here soon anyways, but it sounds like neither application is a direct fit.

    I have them posted up locally for $40, no interest yet though.

    Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic4997_1.gif

  9. #9
    Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dirty Jersey Yo!
    Posts
    7,560

    Default

    Can he use an oil breather with the PCV port and run a (3/8") hose to the oil port on the throttle body? The valve covers themselves shouldn't be that tall; that way he can use a standard oil fill cap and that oil breather cap and have clearance without using a spacer.

    I tried using FRPP efi valve covers a few years ago and ran into clearance issues with the oil fill tube. Had I thought it through, I would have gotten a spacer and I wouldn't have had to return the valve covers :-/

  10. #10
    I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Southern Commiefornia
    Posts
    1,529

    Default

    My car is mass-air so it may be a little different. Do the SD boxes have a hose that comes off the oil fill or valve cover at some point going to the intake?

  11. #11
    Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Shelby Township, MI
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    My car is mass-air so it may be a little different. Do the SD boxes have a hose that comes off the oil fill or valve cover at some point going to the intake?
    Yep, we have that on the SD boxes as well. The tube runs from the oil fill neck to the TB.

    This guy here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	48792
    Vic

    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic


  12. #12
    LTC_Dave LSE_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam.w.ackerman View Post
    Yeah, not something I have to run. Neither the GM or the Bronco have any engine work and neither really warrants being dressed up. The Bronco was the likely candidate to get them as I am going to do cable cover gaskets here soon anyways, but it sounds like neither application is a direct fit.

    I have them posted up locally for $40, no interest yet though.

    Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
    Aren't you in my neck of the woods?

    85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ SAVE THE BOX! ***POTM 5/2017*** [ The Weekly ]
    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ]
    89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD)
    88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty
    2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)


  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LSE_Dave View Post
    Aren't you in my neck of the woods?
    Central Kansas?

    Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic4997_1.gif

  14. #14
    LTC_Dave LSE_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam.w.ackerman View Post
    Central Kansas?

    Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
    Yep, Wichita. I got $40

    85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ SAVE THE BOX! ***POTM 5/2017*** [ The Weekly ]
    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ]
    89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD)
    88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty
    2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)


  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LSE_Dave View Post
    Yep, Wichita. I got $40
    Message sent

    Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic4997_1.gif

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
GMN Approved Links!


www.rockauto.com www.adtr.net