Eldelbrock valve cover fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eldelbrock valve cover fitment

I am getting a set of what appears to be brand new blank valve covers for a smoking deal, do these fit under the intake on EFI engines?

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Easy way to find out... Measure how high your stock covers are from the head to the top flat and then measure the new covers.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How tall are they? There isn't a ton of extra room unless you add an intake spacer. Those are commonly available in 3/8 or 1" sizes.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        How tall are they? There isn't a ton of extra room unless you add an intake spacer. Those are commonly available in 3/8 or 1" sizes.
        I will have to measure them tomorrow, spacer is an option though; I can either use them on the GM or the Bronco but both are EFI. If I can't use them I have some room to turn a profit on them.

sigpic

Comment

where I've found you tend to run into issues is the oil fill hole. The carb ones are in the opposite ends vs the EFI ones, and there are two. One you have to close off, and its usually under the intake manifold somewhere. I have 1985 Mustang covers on mine, the flat oil cap under the intake has some "hammer tuning" for clearance, the other one fits fine but its mildly a pain in the ass to use as an oil fill just because the air intake pipe is in the way. They look nice but if I'm being honest about it, the stock EFI covers are more convenient. I also had to find an 85 oil cap with the PCV valve in it and modify that for the fresh air return. Mass air doesn't like unmetered air sources.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

where I've found you tend to run into issues is the oil fill hole. The carb ones are in the opposite ends vs the EFI ones, and there are two. One you have to close off, and its usually under the intake manifold somewhere. I have 1985 Mustang covers on mine, the flat oil cap under the intake has some "hammer tuning" for clearance, the other one fits fine but its mildly a pain in the ass to use as an oil fill just because the air intake pipe is in the way. They look nice but if I'm being honest about it, the stock EFI covers are more convenient. I also had to find an 85 oil cap with the PCV valve in it and modify that for the fresh air return. Mass air doesn't like unmetered air sources.
            That's what I was thinking I had read but wasn't sure where I had seen that conversation. I will probably just try to flip them locally then.

sigpic

Comment

Mass air doesn't like unmetered air sources.
              Haha yep! Ran a similar setup on the wrecked '90 when I did the top end work. I had tall Motorsport Valve covers and ran the PVC-type push-in for the fresh air return. I was also running a taller intake(rpm) with a spacer. Think it's 1/2" thick but i'll check next time i'm over in the garage. With the taller intake and shorter runners, I could almost reach and remove the valve cover bolts and valve covers, almost. If you like those covers it may be worth the trouble to make them work. I had to run the tall ones because of my rocker setup so there was no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                Haha yep! Ran a similar setup on the wrecked '90 when I did the top end work. I had tall Motorsport Valve covers and ran the PVC-type push-in for the fresh air return. I was also running a taller intake(rpm) with a spacer. Think it's 1/2" thick but i'll check next time i'm over in the garage. With the taller intake and shorter runners, I could almost reach and remove the valve cover bolts and valve covers, almost. If you like those covers it may be worth the trouble to make them work. I had to run the tall ones because of my rocker setup so there was no choice.
                Yeah, not something I have to run. Neither the GM or the Bronco have any engine work and neither really warrants being dressed up. The Bronco was the likely candidate to get them as I am going to do cable cover gaskets here soon anyways, but it sounds like neither application is a direct fit.

I have them posted up locally for $40, no interest yet though.

sigpic

Comment

Can he use an oil breather with the PCV port and run a (3/8") hose to the oil port on the throttle body? The valve covers themselves shouldn't be that tall; that way he can use a standard oil fill cap and that oil breather cap and have clearance without using a spacer.

I tried using FRPP efi valve covers a few years ago and ran into clearance issues with the oil fill tube. Had I thought it through, I would have gotten a spacer and I wouldn't have had to return the valve covers :-/

Comment

My car is mass-air so it may be a little different. Do the SD boxes have a hose that comes off the oil fill or valve cover at some point going to the intake?

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                      My car is mass-air so it may be a little different. Do the SD boxes have a hose that comes off the oil fill or valve cover at some point going to the intake?
                      Yep, we have that on the SD boxes as well. The tube runs from the oil fill neck to the TB.

This guy here:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1282661
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by adam.w.ackerman View Post
                        Yeah, not something I have to run. Neither the GM or the Bronco have any engine work and neither really warrants being dressed up. The Bronco was the likely candidate to get them as I am going to do cable cover gaskets here soon anyways, but it sounds like neither application is a direct fit.

I have them posted up locally for $40, no interest yet though.

Aren't you in my neck of the woods?

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
                        06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
                        97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by LSE_Dave View Post
                          Aren't you in my neck of the woods?
                          Central Kansas?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by adam.w.ackerman View Post
                            Central Kansas?

Yep, Wichita. I got $40

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
                            06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
                            97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by LSE_Dave View Post
                              Yep, Wichita. I got $40
                              Message sent

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X