Rear Defrost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Defrost

The rear defrost on my '86 CV is on a constant hot circuit. The switch is broken too. As such, we had to bungee it in the "OFF" position to keep it from draining the battery overnight; been like this for years. To remedy this, I am thinking of finding the hot wire (whatever color that is) and splicing it into an ignition source. That way at least I won't have to worry about the defrost being on all night. At some point, I will get another switch (from a newer Panther) and make that work. My question(s): is this the proper way of doing this?

Dude, just get another switch! Don't butcher it.. The bungie thing is great for getting you by for now though.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The switch in my '82 Mark VI wasn't working at all so no Defrosting for me, just had it fixed, got the part off Ebay for like $30. Well worth it to have the correct working part and not having to hack anything into the dash, etc.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

replace the switch. It actually does have a sort-of key on only function to it when working. If you shut the key off, it releases an internal latch so the switch opens. BTDT on my own car, which is why I know that a good switch shuts the defrost off when you turn the car off.

If you want a redundant cutoff, use a relay to get it done. Drive the relay off a key-on source, use the relay to break the power feed into the defrost switch. Don't run the thing through the ignition switch, it pulls more current than the switch is able to deal with.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had the opposite where i had to hold it in the on position because it wouldn't latch. So I just replaced the switch. It was easy as hell to do. And I didn't have to hack anything up to rig a switch.

Comment

yeah, that can happen too. all things considered I'd rather it fail off than fail on. Its less annoying to hold the switch than it is to jump a car when its parked the wrong way in a driveway and cold outside.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X