Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interchangeable window motors??

Hello,

My front driver’s window on the 86 Crown Vic doesn’t work and after swapping out four extra switches I had, I’m quite confident the motor has packed it up.

I ordered a motor off rock auto, but the motor craft front left motor is out of stock. Are the motors in other doors interchangeable with the front driver’s (front left)?
    Last edited by Kaysboat; 11-18-2017, 07:08 AM.
    sigpic

Right rear is the same as drivers front. The wires may be too short, so you would have to lengthen them. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

If you can hear the motor run but the window doesn't move you can just rebuild the motor with new bushings. If not, what he said^^^Same goes for right front and left rear.

Comment

I have fox body mustang window motors in my car. I think i had to swap them left to right though. I also have a tudor, though that may be a none issue in this discussion.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

same motors... just need to know which direction the gear housing is.

Here's the application chart...
          FORD AEROSTAR 1986-1989
          FORD BRONCO 1978-1996
          FORD BRONCO II 1985-1987
          FORD COUNTRY SEDAN 1969-1972
          FORD COUNTRY SQUIRE 1965-1989
          FORD CUSTOM 1965-1977
          FORD E-100 1981-1983
          FORD E-150 1981-1990
          FORD E-250 1981-1990
          FORD E-350 1981-1990
          FORD ELITE 1975-1976
          FORD F SUPER DUTY 1988-1992
          FORD F-100 1981-1983
          FORD F-150 1981-1992
          FORD F-250 1981-1992
          FORD F-350 1981-1992
          FORD FAIRLANE 1968-1970
          FORD FAIRMONT 1978-1983
          FORD FALCON 1968-1970
          FORD GALAXIE 1965-1974
          FORD GRAN TORINO 1972-1975
          FORD GRANADA 1981-1982
          FORD LTD 1965-1986
          FORD LTD CROWN VICTORIA 1983-1989
          FORD LTD II 1977-1979
          FORD MAVERICK 1970-1977
          FORD MUSTANG 1969-1972
          FORD RANCH WAGON 1969-1974
          FORD RANCHERO 1968-1972
          FORD RANGER 1985-1987
          FORD TEMPO 1984-1994
          FORD THUNDERBIRD 1967-1979
          FORD TOPAZ 1984-1994
          FORD TORINO 1968-1976
          LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 1966-1972
          LINCOLN MARK III 1969-1971
          LINCOLN MARK IV 1972-1976
          LINCOLN MARK V 1977-1979
          LINCOLN TOWN CAR 1989
          MERCURY CALIENTE 1964-1967
          MERCURY CAPRI 1966-1967
          MERCURY COLONY PARK 1969-1989
          MERCURY COMET 1966-1977
          MERCURY COMMUTER 1965-1968
          MERCURY COUGAR 1969-1982
          MERCURY CYCLONE 1966-1967
          MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 1975-1989
          MERCURY MARAUDER 1965-1970
          MERCURY MARQUIS 1967-1986
          MERCURY MONTCLAIR 1965-1968
          MERCURY MONTEGO 1968-1976
          MERCURY MONTEREY 1965-1974
          MERCURY PARK LANE 1965-1968
          MERCURY TOPAZ 1984-1994
          MERCURY VILLAGER 1966-1967
          MERCURY ZEPHYR 1978-1983

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Something I will mention, Towncar front gear housings are not the same. They're damn close but will not swap. There is a raised boss around the bolt holes that locates into an enlarged hole in the window regulator. Ford motors don't have that. Basically if you try to use Townie motors, the gear won't mesh up correctly. Towncar rear motors are the same as Ford motors though.

I've repaired a number of those motors. Most of the time if you pull them apart, you can polish up the commutator and it will run just fine. Its also possible that the little plastic pills inside fell apart and have the gears jammed up. Also not hard to fix.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I CHANGED A FEW TO LEFT TO RIGHT or right to left by swapping the ends. Wounder if that could be done between matching years for the Lincoln and a Panther.
              Also the newer flat sided window motors are about a nats ass from the bolt holes matching up. Wonder what but head screwed that design up
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Something I will mention, Towncar front gear housings are not the same. They're damn close but will not swap. There is a raised boss around the bolt holes that locates into an enlarged hole in the window regulator. Ford motors don't have that. Basically if you try to use Townie motors, the gear won't mesh up correctly. Towncar rear motors are the same as Ford motors though.

I've repaired a number of those motors. Most of the time if you pull them apart, you can polish up the commutator and it will run just fine. Its also possible that the little plastic pills inside fell apart and have the gears jammed up. Also not hard to fix.
                I think there's even more to it than that. The Ford/Mercury motors, and I think Lincoln rear, the screws are self-tapping and thread into the gear housing on the motor. The Lincoln front ones, the bolt goes all the way through and threads into something behind the motor...I haven't put eyes on what that something is but it doesn't exist in the Ford and Mercury doors.

And yes I'm pretty sure you could use the "motor" half of a Ford/Mercury one with the "gearbox" half of a Lincoln one, and vice versa. But there were subtle variations even within each of those types of motors (longer ones, shorter ones) and I think some had the brushes on the end of the unit while some had the brushes near the gear end.

There are a LOT of spare and self-rehabbed window motors in my garage.
                Last edited by kishy; 11-18-2017, 08:00 PM.

Current driver: wagon
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

As much as I always try to buy name brand parts, I wound up buying a motor through NAPA (dealers don't have any in stock/in the system anymore, and rockauto didn't have any right rear Motorcraft motors either, and the boxes are LONG gone from junk yards around these parts) . Not super happy with it as the casing is plastic and I hope it lasts, but I really don't drive the car much, so it should hold up for occasional daily summer driving. Thanks

I haven't installed it yet (doesn't really matter as the car is in the garage until the spring at this point), but should get around to it in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it goes well.
                  sigpic

Comment

If it's one of the Dorman motors (plastic gear housing, with universal pigtails to fit different Fords), they work alright. Little bit slower in my experience and if you try to hold the window against the motor you'll find it runs out of steam and can't fight against you very hard.

Notice the application list above shows the motors end in 89. The motors beginning sometime in 89 through 91 are different from the earlier box motors (skinnier, flat-sided instead of the huge chunky older ones). They interchange fine...some say they don't, but I've mix-and-matched them regularly with no issues. The only exception is the Lincoln oddballs mentioned further up.

The skinnier 89-91 motors in my experience are prone to the magnets coming unglued inside particularly if you have a family member who is incapable of not slamming the door.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Or the doors were like the ones on the Mad Marquis where you HAD to slam them. The rear doors' hinge springs were so tight that if you just rolled the door over nice and easy, it would slam itself.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        Or the doors were like the ones on the Mad Marquis where you HAD to slam them. The rear doors' hinge springs were so tight that if you just rolled the door over nice and easy, it would slam itself.
                        Yep, that too...mine are like that as well. The rears get away from you if you don't guide them shut actually holding them. Combine that with an aggressive push and you see the value in specialty Loctite adhesives to self-rebuild the things.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

On my early 89 you could NOT interchange the flat motor and the round motor (round original to my '89) even though the door skin had the extra mounting hole, the flat motor gear did not stick out far enough to mesh with the regulator. I had to transfer the center gear AND plate to a flat motor in order to mesh with the mechanism.

Comment

The flat ones seem to run faster though. More powerful magnet maybe. I have seen new motors sold for mid 80s models in that format though, not sure if they had a different gear setup than the late boxes or what.

While you're in there I'd give the mechanism a lube job. It really helps with motor survival.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                            X