No announcement yet.

Holley flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did an oil change, put vice grips on the fuel line to restrict it a bit and got the pressure down to 6 PSI so the car will run.
    God damn Edelbrock Fuel pump will cost me $200 US and I just can't afford that right now, so the vice grips are staying on for a while

Comment

Is this a dead-head regulator or a return type? If its not a return, do you have a return line? Its hokey as shit but if you install a tee between the outlet of the pump and the inlet of the carb, and feed the open leg through a needle valve into the return line you can use that to control how much pressure you get. Basically it will just bleed the excess back to the tank.

I like return style regulators over dead head ones anyway. They seem less janky, more expensive of course.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just a straight through dead head. I don't have a return line on mine.

Comment

Can't get a Carter pump? Hell even Airtex works well if it's US-made (on diesels, so probably decent quality in gas applications too, seeing how it sure as fuck looks like the same pump with just a different dog-leg).

How come you have no return line on the chassis? Even this police car that's been the bane of my existence for months now has a 3/8" supply line and 1/4" return, and that was carbed 351 from the factory...
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Both the Carter and Airtex pump put out a max of 8PSI and I don't want that. If I do have a return line, I've never seen it. There wasn't one attached to anything on the original engine with the 2 barrel motorcraft carb

Comment

well, I finally found out what was wrong.
              I had the old mechanic at my work try to fiddle around with the carb and still couldn't find out what was wrong, until the second time we took the bowl and metering plate off.
              Barely even made it to work today, probably took 15 liters just to go the 11km

Comment

so what was wrong?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Almost don't want to say it, but Power valve gasket was fuckered. I had the metering block off 2 times and my co-worker had it off once, before we realized there was a chunk missing

Comment

03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

meh... that can be easy to overlook. But you got it sorted now... which is the main point.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Some of the carb cars had a third line on the mechanical pump, some did not. I think it may have only been the VV carbs with the return line though.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

We only got it figured out, cause the engine would run fine with the fuel line off, using just what gas was left in the bowls

Comment

Dickheads! Just kidding, that shit happens. My '82 mustang and '82 capri rs 5.0 both had the mechanical pump with the return line on them. Ford did some weird shit back then. Glad you've got it sorted now. Running much better?

Comment

Better is a relative term. It is indeed running and driving, but #8 cylinder has a broken or stuck oil ring or bottom piston ring. It's nice having something I can drive around again though, had to borrow my room mates truck when I needed to

Comment

Working...
                              X