Holley flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holley flooding

Wasn't sure if 5.0/5.8 Engine-Stock was the place for this so I came here.

Anyone here have some good experience with Holley carbs?
    I've always had the problem of rough idle when the engine is cold, once it starts getting cold out, but this morning the car just would not idle at all, was getting flooded like crazy.

Tonight I've found out that the Boosters are leaking fuel into the carb at idle and low RPM.
    Even when the engine is off, they are still dripping a bit, for 10-15 seconds.

What could be the cause of this, for it to just suddenly happen? I'm thinking maybe power valve somehow.
    Other pages online, say float level is too high, but I've never adjusted the floats in the 3 years I've had the carb on the engine.

Pic related, you can even see fuel sitting on the throttle plate Click image for larger version

Name:	PB290060.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1304081

Your float is sticking, which is allowing fuel to flow past the seat/needle thing and pressurize the whole bowl which causes fuel to spew out of the venturies. Try whapping the bowl a few good times with a plastic handled screw driver or small rubber mallet. Always did the trick for me.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Dirt likes to get in there and hang up the needle and seat too. As Derek suggests, give it a love tap to see if it fixes the problem. If not, investigate why the floats are out of wack and/or the needle valve isn’t closing.

I’ve had needle valves fail before. Usually starts as really really easy starting - like EFI starting. Then gets worse like the flooding you are experiencing.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yup. Replace needle and seat. Make sure float is good and adjusted.

I rebuilt an outboard carb without finding the problem too many times. Finally I bought a float & found the plastic float had changed weight over the years.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Alright, I did wack on the fuel bowl with a screwdriver handle a few times last night and it didn't do anything, I'll take the fuel bowl off this morning and check out the float, make sure it hasn't sunk. I'll get a new needle valve as well today

Comment

Sometimes you gotta whap 'em pretty hard, top & side. Seat wearing out or the float sinking is a possibility as well.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Carb has a site plug on the side of the bowl. to check level run engine shut it off unscrew site plug fuel level should be just even to a tad below bottom of plug hole.
              If bowel is off turn the bowel upside down the top surface of the float should be parallel to the top of the bowel. After reassembly check float level as described above.

MOST COMMON REASONS FOR fuel out the vents
              Brass or plastic floats leaking check to see hear fuel sloshing around in float
              If it has the what I call foam floats many of then can end up sucking up fuel and cant tell if weight has gone up without triple beams.
              Suggest replacing foam floats with brass ones
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Nice to know they still have the sight plugs. I forgot that Holley had them. It was a really nice feature.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

They have sight glass now, not plugs, don't have to remove anything to check fuel level. Also those big brass screws with the jam nuts there by the fuel inlets to the bowls in the OP's picture are the external float adjustment IIRC, again so you don't have to remove anything and have gas leaking all over the place. Old Holleys had neither of those things, they were real fun to work on, not!
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Holley has clear plastic site plugs but with today's fuel the go bad back in the day you could leave them in. Some carbs like the quick fuel have glass site plugs
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I remember the glass ones, hell if I know what Holley that was I was dealing with at the time, I just assumed they all had glass ones. I've been out of that game for a while now tho, and don't plan on getting back into it - anything I'm interested in that could use a carb would do better with a light diesel, and nowadays it's pretty easy to set up a nice 6.2 with upgraded block and full mechanical injection and boost and get decent power and excellent fuel economy out of it. Still would tinker with a carb if one came along, but would not willingly install one where there was none to begin with, lol
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                        Carb has a site plug on the side of the bowl. to check level run engine shut it off unscrew site plug fuel level should be just even to a tad below bottom of plug hole.
                        If bowel is off turn the bowel upside down the top surface of the float should be parallel to the top of the bowel. After reassembly check float level as described above.

MOST COMMON REASONS FOR fuel out the vents
                        Brass or plastic floats leaking check to see hear fuel sloshing around in float
                        If it has the what I call foam floats many of then can end up sucking up fuel and cant tell if weight has gone up without triple beams.
                        Suggest replacing foam floats with brass ones
                        I don't have fuel coming out of the vent tubes, I have fuel dripping out of the booster venturis. My float wasn't sunk, nice and empty and it floats. I cleaned out the metering block at work, bought a rebuild kit and put in the new accelerator pump, Power valve and needle and seat. If somehow that doesn't fix it, then I'll just rebuild the whole carb on Saturday

Comment

Now the car won't even run, just bogs out and dies. I don't know why it would do this

Comment

Did you adjust the float level?
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I adjusted it so it was parallel with the fuel bowl when inverted. Feels like it's missing hard now.

Spark plugs might be too fouled now. when I was doing a compression test last night, all the spark plugs were black as could be and reeked of gas, since I was flooding. I'll get some new plugs tomorrow

Also, cleaning the metering block, fuel bowl, then replacing the needle and seat and power valve has stopped gas from dripping out of the boosters. One problem fixed, another new one to fix I guess
                              Last edited by Not A Midget; 12-01-2017, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X