No announcement yet.

Holley flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your fuel pressure? Only so much the needle and seat can hold up against... What fuel pump are you running, and what regulator if any? Rule of thumb, every carb should have a fuel pressure gauge right near the inlet, and if a regulator is used another gauge between the pump and the regulator will also be useful (but it's not mandatory).
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on me. I have a Mr Gasket regulator set to 5 psi and a spectra premium pump. I don't have much room to attach a inline pressure gauge, barely had any room for the regulator

Comment

Holley I usually run 6 to 7 psi pressure sometimes a bit more on race apps were pressure might drop running down the track.
        Did you check fuel level at the sight plug after running as it might need tweaked a bit. The float parallel to top of bowel is just a coarse adjustment in some cases. 5psi might not even be enough to shut the fuel flow off in some situations.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by Not A Midget View Post
          I don't have a fuel pressure gauge on me. I have a Mr Gasket regulator set to 5 psi and a spectra premium pump. I don't have much room to attach a inline pressure gauge, barely had any room for the regulator
          How do you know the regulator is set to 5psi, does it have a dial on it? Also I see how tight your fuel line arrangement is, and IMHO this is too tight - don't cook your rubber line directly against the block/head/intake, make it a bit longer and give it some slack for air being blown by the fan to flow around it. Then you'll have space for the pressure gauge too, you want it after the regulator but before the carb.

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
          5psi might not even be enough to shut the fuel flow off in some situations.
          How so? The pressure on the seat is created by the float, that's pretty much constant. Thus the lower the inlet pressure the easier it will be for the seat to shut fuel flow off. There's no pilot pressures involved here, it's strictly mechanical pressure from the float vs. hydraulic pressure from the fuel. Unless you mean that 5psi is not enough to keep up with the fuel demand from the carb, thus the bowl will never fill up and the float will never force the seat to close? Even then so it shouldn't matter since all the fuel coming in is being used up right away, so there's technically no need for fuel flow to stop.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

The regulator does have a number dial on it. But to be sure, I bought a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge today.
            As for the fuel lines, I've had the same set up, minus the fuel regulator for 4 years, never had a problem before. I got some new spark plugs and grabbed my extra set of spark plug wires from work, just in case, will be putting them in shortly

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
              How do you know the regulator is set to 5psi, does it have a dial on it? Also I see how tight your fuel line arrangement is, and IMHO this is too tight - don't cook your rubber line directly against the block/head/intake, make it a bit longer and give it some slack for air being blown by the fan to flow around it. Then you'll have space for the pressure gauge too, you want it after the regulator but before the carb.

You were on the right track. I put the plugs in, still felt like it was flooding, but this time, gas shot out of the fuel vent.
              I put the pressure gauge on and I got 9PSI, even though the regulator is set to 5. Clamped the fuel line with vice grips and the engine would run.
              I geuss Mr. Gasket doesn't make very good regulators, it was only on the engine for 2 years

Comment

i GAVE UP ON Mr Gasket some 40 years ago think their even worse today junk junk junk

Comment

well, The Holley regulator I bought didn't even work, right out of the box. I got another Mr.Gasket one, but the engine is still flooding. I just don't understand.
                  The fuel level on the bowl isn't even high enough to come out of the sight hole either

Comment

Are you using a EFI in the tank pump?

Comment

No, mechanical pump. Seems the fuel pump just wants to put out 9.5 PSI, the regulator has a max working pressure of 8PSI.
                      I need a new fuel pump, that isn't shit. This is the 3rd Spectra Premium brand I've had on this engine, such a garbage brand

Comment

I think Spectra is close to MrGasket in quality. i HAVE 3 VEHICLES think there using OEM STYLE carter pumps havent had any issues.
                        Does fuel leak out of the carb ANYWHERE just after shutting down the engine?

Comment

Fuel does not leak out of the carb anymore. Most fuel pumps I'm seeing online say they have a max pressure of 7-8 PSI, why can't I just find one with 5 PSI
                          Last edited by Not A Midget; 12-03-2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Each of those vehicles I mentioned none are using a pressure regulator. One uses a holley carb the other 2 Quick fuel. Only Creamy uses a pressure regulator as it uses a Mallory 140 electric pump which puts out around 12lbs regulator is set at 7 carbs are highly modified Holleys.
                            About the only time I HAVE RUN less pressure is when I had a set of 4 750 honda carbs on my 67 Mustang 200 6 cyl.

THESE site plugs can be used to see what is happening in the fuel bowl while the engine is running for test purposes only as they will melt away with todays fuel. If the level rises above the site glass and spews out the top somewhere somethings up with the float level adjustment. Either set wrong which these help to set the float , something wrong with the float, float spring missing, float needle and seat.

https://www.summitracing.com/compare
                            Last edited by turbo2256b; 12-03-2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Both floats are fine, checked them again. The fuel level is lower than the sight holes too. Also I just found out, that there is so much gas in my oil from it flooding like crazy, that The engine will run just fine with no fuel line attached. It just runs off the fuel vapors in the crank case,from the PCV lines going into the carb

Comment

Thats not good. I replaced a 350 Chevy in a boat from someone running one in that condition. The choke stuck and it had so much fuel in the crank that the owner said it was "making oil". It was like 2 quarts over-full of fuel/oil mix. It also had no rod bearings left.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X