X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing AOD OD bands?

How difficult is this?

Does require complete disassembly?

I really don't want to get into a total rebuild at this point.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

just FYI

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...sale-in-PA-200
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes, come get this thing out of here, I'd love to see someone get some use out of it as it just sitting here is simply a waste...
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I believe its a very early install part, so basically it will be at the end of what comes out. Teardown, and while you're in there you may as well put at least clutches and seals, and whatever else it needs.

Or just go get one that works.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

Or just go get one that works.
          Jay,

Any idea what year it is?

How many miles?

Thanks

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

No I have no idea. It was an unknown. I only maybe added 35k to it since 01.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
              How difficult is this?

Does require complete disassembly?

I really don't want to get into a total rebuild at this point.
              Its not too bad, but the transmission does have to come out.

remove the valve body
              remove the OD band servo
              remove the front pump
              remove intermediate clutches
              replace the OD band
              install the OD band servo and make sure it engages the band
              install intermediate clutches
              install front pump
              install valve body
              reinstall transmission.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                Its not too bad, but the transmission does have to come out.

remove the valve body
                remove the OD band servo
                remove the front pump
                remove intermediate clutches
                replace the OD band
                install the OD band servo and make sure it engages the band
                install intermediate clutches
                install front pump
                install valve body
                reinstall transmission.
                Beats a tail shaft swap. That said, I'll stick to rebuilding on sticks (pun intended).
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Sounds full of nope to me. You forgot the dance steps and the number of chickens that must be slaughtered for the ceremony to appease the automatic transmission deities.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1. Take car to trans shop.
                    2. Tell them to make it better.
                    3. Pick up car and pay bill.
                    4. Smile as you drive away with working transmission.

Comment

Oh god, Khead, if only it was that easy. You forgot the reputable trans shop part. Rebuilt does not mean it's a quality rebuild or that it will last just as long as any other rebuilt transmission. I know of a good place but it's 40 or 50 miles away from me. I'll still go there.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Oh god, Khead, if only it was that easy. You forgot the reputable trans shop part. Rebuilt does not mean it's a quality rebuild or that it will last just as long as any other rebuilt transmission. I know of a good place but it's 40 or 50 miles away from me. I'll still go there.

I know of a highly reputable shop....
                        Unfortunately it is in GA, oh, I don't know, maybe 18ish hours away...

Comment

I have a reputable shop local to me... for stock stuff... and another local shop for performance shenanigans... but they charge more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not sure if Scott's friend Brian is still doing transmissions on the side but he's a fair bit closer to you than GA is. He did the AOD in my Towncar and it works very well indeed.

Comment

Working...
                            X