Light Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light Problems

Friday night, I fired up and drove my 88 grand marquis for the first time in over a month, and noticed my driver side low beam was out. But when I switch to high beams, all four headlights come on. I have no idea why.

Additionally, my dash light and the back-light for the climate controls are both out. However, I checked all the fuses, and the other things that share fuses still work (dome light, clock, radio, and whatnot.)

Thoughts?

two filament bulb on low beams. So the low filament is probably gone. Of course there could always be a more complex reason. It might be time to upgrade the headlight bulbs. H4 with silverstar (whatever the premium version is) or equivalent is nice, I hear the LEDS or projectors have gotten better.

I would try rotating the headlight knob a bit and that may get the dash illumination working.

Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The low beam lamps have two filaments. One that burns at 55W for low beam, and 35W for high beam (doesn't do much). Now would be a great time for lighting upgrades, like jaywish said.

I've been looking at these as a suitable replacement for my low beams in the future: E-Code Headlamps
      Those E-Codes use a replaceable H4 bulb. Only thing that would have to be changed is the connector needs to be re-pinned and you will need to check the aim to get them set correctly.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

These guys nailed it with the dual filament low beam bulbs.

When your dash lights are out check you tail lights. Of the tail lights are also out then the problem is the headlight switch. The connector to the headlight switch could also be suspect, but that's the area you want to investigate first if you find the tail lights are also out.

Move the headlight switch in and out very slowly and if you see those dash lights come On, even for a fraction of a second, then you know the switch is worn.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The switches get flukey, it happens. Switch was marginal 30 years ago and they do not age well.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Slapped a new headlight in, so that part's good now..

Buuut my dash light is still off, and I checked and my brake lights are out too. So I'm assuming it's the switch. I tried fanagling it around, but no dice. Is it easy to find/replace the switch? I have auto lights, but those are inop now. Not really concerned about that. Can one simply wire in a single toggle switch? i.e. turn on all lights or no lights, disregarding the stage of just parking lights?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you mean running lights on all 4 corners or just the 2 brake lights that come on when you press the brake Pedal? You mean the brake pedal boo switch?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Whoops my bad.. Not brake lights. Tail lights.

Comment

the switch can be had... be prepared to replace the wire harness as well. What year is your car again?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

RockAuto has them for every year of box.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The brake lights are not related to the light switch. They have their own switch, and it does not go through the headlight or running lamp circuits. It does run through the turn signal switch for the left and right tails. If the high mount works but the left and right do not, its the turn switch. If none of them work, its probably the brake switch.

Easy test for the brake light switch, just jump the two wires together. If they come on, replace the switch. Also make sure they are not melted.

You don't by chance have the dash light dimmer turned all the way down do you? That pretty much shuts off the dash lights. Worth a check before paying money for anything.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                        I've been looking at these as a suitable replacement for my low beams in the future: E-Code Headlamps
                        These work well. Need relays if you're doing the big-power bulbs tho, but they can handle the 90/100W bulbs no problem.

Originally posted by MercurySailor View Post
                        Whoops my bad.. Not brake lights. Tail lights.
                        What about the amber lights on the front corners, and the opera lights on the B-pillars (between front and rear doors)? They are all tied in with the tail lights, so if you lack tails all others should be dead as well - if they're lit up you got an issue with your tail lights wiring only.
                        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

All ambers are no good. Tomorrow if I get off work before dark I'll pull the switch and see what's going on.

Comment

Your switch is DOA. Pickup trucks are known to cook it with just a pair of lamps on each end, you got twice as many lights so twice as much load thru the same shitty undersized wiring. Check the brown wire for signs of meltdown, that's the one feeding the clearance/marker lamps. Dash lights should be light blue with a red stripe.
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

How do you get the switch out of the dash? I got the trim and the knob and whatnot out, but there's not enough wire to pull it all out.

Comment

Working...
                              X