No announcement yet.

Light Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a chainsaw to the dash! No, seriousliy, that would be the deserving way to get that piece of shit out of that other piece of shit. Or you can stick your hand in there, get cut up on all sorts sharp edges, wiggle and turn and twist and pry till the stupid thing comes out. IIRC you'll have to disconnect the harness from the switch while the thing is still halfway in the dash cause of the short wires you experienced already, someone correct me on this if I'm wrong tho, been a while since I had to fight with one of them evil things.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

You've already gotten the hard part out. The release button for the knob is a complete bitch to access. Once the shaft is out you can get the dash trim out. Memory is fuzzy here but I want to say there is a nut holding the switch to the bracket, and you can remove that and pull the switch out through the hole if you get it turned at just the right angle. If it will not fit (Lincolns do, others may not) then it has to come out through the bottom. I remember that whole process being far more bloody and painful than it has any right to be. The wiring doesn't really have enough room to be moved out where you can get it either.

I would like to meet who came up with the headlamp switch install method and make them change the damn things until they realize the error of their ways.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And when that is out check the connector, cause that is the classic problem spot when you lose running/dash lighting.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          The low beam lamps have two filaments. One that burns at 55W for low beam, and 35W for high beam (doesn't do much). Now would be a great time for lighting upgrades, like jaywish said.

I've been looking at these as a suitable replacement for my low beams in the future: E-Code Headlamps
          Those E-Codes use a replaceable H4 bulb. Only thing that would have to be changed is the connector needs to be re-pinned and you will need to check the aim to get them set correctly.
          I never used those e code head light before, but when i upgraded mine i did a little research don’t remember where think it was on the jeep form but they say the the hella e code were the best since they are European style and are more strict on how the light pattern is spreed but supposedly if a inspector sees them they might say something as they are not legal in the us. But I never had a problem here in texas been having them for 7-9 year and i realy like them. And light pathern is way better almost looks like i have a projector conversion. sly seen them too if I remember right he liked them.

This is where i got them from a bit pricey

But ebay is cheaper i dont know why maybe ebay has a connection
          Last edited by sly; 12-06-2017, 11:25 AM. Reason: fixed quote syntax

Comment

Hellas are good yes. However those Autopals are the exact thing I'm running, cause no way was I springing for Hellas when I got my sights on JW Speaker LEDs.

No strictly E-code lamp is legal for use on a vehicle with 4 wheels or more, perfectly kosher for motorcycles tho, go figure. And yea probably no one would give you grief about them unless you got them 130/110W bulbs in stupid color aimed at a stupid angle.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
              Hellas are good yes. However those Autopals are the exact thing I'm running, cause no way was I springing for Hellas when I got my sights on JW Speaker LEDs.

No strictly E-code lamp is legal for use on a vehicle with 4 wheels or more, perfectly kosher for motorcycles tho, go figure. And yea probably no one would give you grief about them unless you got them 130/110W bulbs in stupid color aimed at a stupid angle.
              What are those jw speaker leds is that the name of lights

Comment

JW Speaker is the manufacturer. Model 8800 Evo 2 is what you can use in a box Panther, you can even get them heated (self-defrosting against ice buildup), but make sure you're sitting down before you look up prices

Comment

+1 JW Speaker brand knows their stuff is good and prices it accordingly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Strictly speaking all exterior running lamps must carry a DOT approval number. Unless your inspector is really anal I doubt they'd bother to look but you'll find that number on the tail lights, stock head lights, turn signal lenses, etc. A lot of aftermarket does not, and strictly speaking its not legal for road use. Few fucks are given unless you're a dick to the inspector and they are looking for reasons to fail you.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X