PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Default 1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

I have no idea what to name this one yet. Its such a bizarre conglomeration of stuff and driving habits that I haven't sorted it out mentally. Open to suggestions.

So I bought this thing off 77Pantera because I like weird stuff. He apparently did too since he also bought it. No pics of the process but I went up to his place and trailered it home. Nothing really special there, imagine a car on a trailer hooked to a truck and thats what it was. Like all proper Ford projects, it was towed by a Chevrolet.

This was Lincoln's attempt at a powerful efficient car to combat the fuel crunch of 1979. Of course this was 1984, five years after anyone gave a damn about that so the resulting hybrid of a BMW turbo diesel engine in a mid-size Lincoln luxury vehicle really didn't sell too well. More engines went into the Mark VII than the Continental, but total production just wasn't all that much. Not sure specific figures but a few thousand cars total is apparently it.

Its old, it sat a long time, and it needs maintenance. Seems like it should fit right in around here Initially my plans are to give it a bunch of catch-up work to make it reliable. Timing belt, tires, cooling system service, change all the fluids, etc. Nothing you wouldn't expect to at least look at on a 180K mile 30 year old car that sat for a decade. Along the way I'll make some upgrades as I can. I'd like to have this reliable enough to get to Carlisle in 2018. I highly doubt much will have changed in the cosmetics department but I don't think its an unreasonable goal to have gotten the mechanical stuff sorted out by that point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1204171857a.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	48874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1204171857b.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	48875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1204171857.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	48876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1204171856c.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	48877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1204171856b.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	48878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1204171856a.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	48879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1204171856.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	48880

I took it for a spin tonight after getting the charging system to work. It feels slow but isn't and feels like it should handle horribly but doesn't. The noises are so completely wrong that I can't even get my head around it.

https://youtu.be/i0K3-RFcdAg

turn the sound up, you can hear the little mill doing it's thing.

https://youtu.be/Si8__tWxJTo
    Last edited by gadget73; 12-04-2017 at 11:56 PM.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Sounds a lot better without the terrible belt squeal.

I post a lot...

Should be a good mental project.

How about the Big Stinky?
    GMN donor. 89 Colony Park LS Mods>HO, 4 spray injectors, 2.25SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 93 CV radio, Kenwood Speakers, 16" HPP wheels, 225-60/16 BFG advantage TA's, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft, HELLA H4's SS ultras H1 highs. It needs rear interior trim & headliner. Please help

03 Marauder DPB, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.

02 SL500 Silver Arrow pretty much done, nice ride, Maybe for sale

I called it the Stinkin' Lincoln

I’ve been waiting for this thread to start! Wouldn’t have thought they’d put duals on it. But for how much it cost new, it should have them!
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - yard ornament (save me please)
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

That's awesome

OOo, pics of the Town Car! I like the poverty roof more and more. Looks purty. Now, on to the Conti...

I did not know they made those, I knew about the Mark VII diesel but didn't think it was offered on the Conti. Nice how Ford had to have their name on the rocker cover, like they're fooling anyone. Surprised at the mileage number, they drove the snot out of it. Needs interior pics.

"Like all proper Ford projects, it was towed by a Chevrolet."

The boobtube links don't work for me, shocker.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Ooh, passenger side gas door, so you know it doesn't get the regular go-go juice.
    , on Flickr
    SLICKTOP '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, police swaybar, S&S headrests. 2002 GM LS, & 2003 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate. 1962 project Heep.

The Choo Choo Sled

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
    Ooh, passenger side gas door, so you know it doesn't get the regular go-go juice.
    That's a fox thing. Stupid Mark VII has thrown me damn near every time I've had to put gas in it. I've become one of those idiots who needs the indicator on the instrument panel. Should be on the driver's side though, convenience first man. Although, on the P side it reduces the chances of you throwing the door at the pole or high curb at the pump.

yeah the Mark VII fucks me up too. I'll now have two on the left and two on the right. I wonder how often I'll pull up the wrong way.

No interior pics until I at least put the dashboard back together. I took it to work so I had somewhere warm for the glue to set up. Then I forgot it there and its raining now so it will have to wait. Interior needs work, its ancient leather that was heavily sun baked. I used the last of my Lexol on it, need to order some more and slather it up until it softens a bit. The headliner was blue, its now more of a grey-blue color. Carpet is also verging towards grey. It needs a good shampoo job too.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

Cool project. I’ve always like that generation of Continental.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

GMN Regular

I love the tu-tone paint
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD *In storage for the winter.*
    '92 Crown Victoria Touring Sedan *Parts car.*
    '94 Crown Victoria

yea I always liked these in two tone, they're kinda blah single color. My granddad's girlfriend when I was young had one of these, but in the silver and maroon color combo.

Nice car. Good luck with it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

No joke, that's a weird bastard, but kinda cool. Of course my first project would be to shitcan that drivetrain, unless you can juice up that diesel and make it badass. Doubt it though. Running properly it likely would get phenomenal gas mileage, but is that enough to justify driving something weird-sounding and slow? Guess that's for you to decide. Been trying to think of a good vehicle to stick a 3.7 and 6-speed auto in. My gay new Transit 350 has that combo, which borders on dismal in that vehicle but would really rip in something lighter. 7000rpm and manual shift option? Pretty damn cool. Just not in a huge van.

I almost bought one of those continentals recently. They're ugly but in a gotta-have-it weird '80s way that i love. Looking forward to seeing this beast take shape.

LoL the drivetrain is why gadget bought it I think.. I've once heard him say this about Fox Continentals, "..they got all the weirdness of a Mark VII with all the mediocrity of a LoPo.." I like the color combo too. I wouldn't mind an '87 Conti. The early ones like this got the cooler front end. What I don't like about the later ones is the integrated ditch lights.

What is Lexol? Yeah the problem with filling up is that most of my cars are on the driver's side so that's where I expect it to be. This VII is the first car we've had were it's on the P side.

I post a lot...

Lexol is a brand of leather cleaner and conditioner. Great stuff that isn’t super expensive.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

I want this, and I honestly can't tell you why, but I really want one now.

2003 Crown Vic HPP- 3.27s. Dual exhaust. 11.25" torque converter, Arnott Limo Duty HPP-rate rear air springs. 205,xxx miles. (Stolen by the old man)
    1995 Impala SS- 28,293 miles. The Lovely Lady
    2003 BMW 325i- 113,xxx miles. KYB ZHP(M)-spec struts, Rear M3 shocks, Exhaust butterfly valve delete, USB and Bluetooth playback with stock head unit, Projector Retrofitted lights, Euro-convex mirrors, slotted-not drilled rotors all around.

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Of course my first project would be to shitcan that drivetrain, unless you can juice up that diesel and make it badass. Doubt it though. Running properly it likely would get phenomenal gas mileage, but is that enough to justify driving something weird-sounding and slow?
    Slow by whose definition? He already said it feels slow but really isn't. BTW there is no cheap way of going fast and using little fuel, and the guy already has two money-pit projects so I doubt he really wants a 3rd one. If this thing moves out of its own way fast enough to be able to safely merge on interstates then IMHO it's already as fast as most lo-po boxes, and depending on gears they are not exactly the slowest thing out there either. So yeah, OK power with very good MPG, if you already got go-fast vehicles that's a pretty winning combination there.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast