No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not a channel on youtube that i can watch more than one video of.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I watched the video. Neat for the car to be presented to a bigger audience. The cars looking good too and I learned a bit more about it. Nice Thain.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Are you bringing that up to Carlisle this year?
        Ryan will bring you all those spare transmission parts for free if you want them.
        Probably not. Kind of got shafted with some work stuff.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Does he pay you to tear on your vehicle? What was he like while the cameras weren't rolling? I've thought about submitting my Townie on to him, as I haven't noticed a box Town Car on his channel, but the thought of him beating the shit out of it or ripping on an era while talking politics and socioeconomics keeps me from pulling the trigger.

No, but he did buy me lunch

He's not the most chatty guy. Then again I'm not either unless someone with some conversational ability can get me going, so basically it was two socially awkward people kind of existing in the same space for a while. They were both fairly occupied taking notes too so that didn't really help.

No politics chat or anything like that. He was actually telling me about how he volunteers to assist hikers on the Appalachian Trail, and I was telling him about Dave (Scott knows who I mean) and Skip and the accident when they were rebuilding that one shelter. He didn't know Dave. He runs people into towns for supplies and helps get them back on track when they get lost. We also got talking about wireless network problems in steel buildings. He asked me if he could floor it or if he needed to be aware of anything.

I will say I'm slightly curious where that whole spiel about the DGAF attitude came from. Not sure if that was something I did or said. Unless it was just my desperate need of a haircut.
        Last edited by gadget73; 05-25-2021, 05:26 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nah... pretty sure the DGAF bit came because of the general disposition of folks that would be in the market for this other than enthusiasts (which is what I would classify anyone here as).

Or that hipster poser type.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Dave has not had a lot of time to help the hiking club. He's working a lot of overtime and 6 days a week. saturdays after work he goes home grabs the dog and drives to their home in new york state to see his wife. then he leaves there monday morning to go back to work. at 66 yrs old no one in ny will hire him on a wage he can live off of.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I watched the video. Nice pictures. So much useless drivel that this clown is spewing forth. Thain I hope this guy does not actually talk to people that way. I could tolerate about a minute then down the road I would go. How he insults the Continental is shameful. There is a tactful way of laying out the negatives of a vehicle. That was painful to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Probably not. Kind of got shafted with some work stuff.

No, but he did buy me lunch

He's not the most chatty guy. Then again I'm not either unless someone with some conversational ability can get me going, so basically it was two socially awkward people kind of existing in the same space for a while. They were both fairly occupied taking notes too so that didn't really help.

No politics chat or anything like that. He was actually telling me about how he volunteers to assist hikers on the Appalachian Trail, and I was telling him about Dave (Scott knows who I mean) and Skip and the accident when they were rebuilding that one shelter. He didn't know Dave. He runs people into towns for supplies and helps get them back on track when they get lost. We also got talking about wireless network problems in steel buildings. He asked me if he could floor it or if he needed to be aware of anything.

I will say I'm slightly curious where that whole spiel about the DGAF attitude came from. Not sure if that was something I did or said. Unless it was just my desperate need of a haircut.
                Oh, I meant how he puts all that stuff in his videos. I could only make it through half of your video yesterday. I cringed as I watched him manually shift several times, exactly what I don't need him doing to any of my vehicles. It was at about that point where he started to go into his monologue about the era, what people wanted blah blah misinformed hipster deusch stuff. Funny how he didn't have much to say to you but then in his video he colors it every which way it suits him. That's probably where the IDGAF attitude thing came from, his own personal assessment of you and the car perhaps. The dude is a journalist alright.

Anyway, the car did look good, engine bay was practically spotless. Forgot it wasn't a Mark VII. Love the interiors of those Continentals though, I'm sure he rips on all of that too.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                I watched the video. Nice pictures. So much useless drivel that this clown is spewing forth. Thain I hope this guy does not actually talk to people that way. I could tolerate about a minute then down the road I would go. How he insults the Continental is shameful. There is a tactful way of laying out the negatives of a vehicle. That was painful to endure.
                "Useless drivel." Exactly.. I highly doubt that guy has the balls to insult people in person. From what Thain said, he's very professional, gets the shots and info he desires and then fabricates the rest as he sees fit.
                Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 05-26-2021, 08:35 AM.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

he didn't manually shift it, the TV pressure is as wound up as it goes and it kind of bangs into gear as a result. Only way I could make it not upshift way too soon and give me somewhat responsive downshifts.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When he was doing the acceleration run to 50mph it looked like he shifted it out of OD manually there (though it wasn't in OD yet if my count was correct) so it effectively did nothing. It just has the same effect as the AOD in a stock box with highway gears when shifting into 3rd gear and losing all grunt.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, the 2:48-2:55ish mark. Still, he shouldn't be touching the damn shift lever at all. I think my favorite line was, "Who would buy this piece of shit?" That's a new low, even for him. I don't think the interior is try hard or whatever he accused it of being too. That interior is fantastic, if it was part of a BMW or Mercedes, he'd never stop praising it. But because it's a Lincoln, he chews it to shreds. He also glosses over other hi tech (at the time) features such as the air ride suspension and JBL sound system. Now, I know that wasn't an option in '84 but it was in later years. He's driveled on and on about mods other people have done but the Ford-JBL mod is a respectable touch. Also, contrary to what he says I feel that Continental still channels much of what the earlier ones did.

Comment

I got to wonder what the RGR guy considers a great 80's car.
                        For the time frame, the diesel conti fits right into its demographic.

Comment

he seems to have a bit of a thing for Caravans.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                            I got to wonder what the RGR guy considers a great 80's car.
                            For the time frame, the diesel conti fits right into its demographic.
                            Pretty much any K-car. The more pedestrian, the better.
                            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

LoL I came to say what John already did. I think he was ok with paying ~$6,500 for that two tone brown POS he did a video on some time ago. It was either that or $3,500, not sure which. Although correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Omni's just rebadged Yugos?

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Omni's just rebadged Yugos?
                                Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizon is a rebadged Talbot / Chrysler / Simca Horizon. An Omni / Horizon is atleast 10x better car than a Yugo. I'm sure @bnw can vouch for that too.
                                Talbot Horizons were also manufactured in Finland!
                                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                                1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Working...
                                X