PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: 1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

It has one, and it has a sensor for it, but I don't know if it works. The bulb prove-out lights it but thats it. I've never had water in the fuel. It does have a small drain button thing on the bottom of the filter, and I can just stick a catch can down there and push the button to drain out anything in the bottom of the filter if I need to. I've done it a couple times, never got anything but clean fuel out. Thats actually one of the assorted things on the maintenance list that gets done with the oil change.

GM didn't use one, and it was one of the assorted failings of their motors. Water in an injection pump is serious bad juju.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    This is from the 1984 "buy our awesome stuff" catalog. You're quite probably right about BMW being the delay. It specifically says "later in the model year". Not sure when the first diesels actually started being made.
    I love those propaganda catalogs. My favorite blurb from this one is, "Disc brakes recover quickly when drenched with water."
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I've driven 4 wheel drums through standing water, I can definitely tell you that discs recover much quicker.

I should upload that whole thing sometime. I eventually got it cropped and trimmed so its one image per page. I couldn't scan the whole thing as a single multi-page pdf just because of how the scanner at work is. The old one would let me manually flip pages and add to the document, the new one you have to put 8x11 sheets in the automatic feeder to get a multi-page pdf.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

My thought was hot rotors do not like water all too much.

true, but you'll stop better on wet rotors than wet drums. Drums aren't quite as likely to go out of round or crack though. Four wheel disc was pretty heady stuff in the mid 80s. The Versailles had it in the late 70s, and the 82 Continental had it. The 82 Conti suspension is what went under the SVO. In 84 they changed from coil springs to air springs, but its otherwise pretty much the same design.

60's and 70's too. C3 'Vettes had them along with Mark V's, IIRC.

My '69 Plymouth had a drum at each corner and was full manual. Drove that through two or three rainstorms. I noticed a difference but it wasn't scary. I don't miss that car though, but the drum brakes aren't really one of the reasons why. Just usually hurt me after driving it and had no options. You know I like optional equipment..

The Mark V did at least, I'll take your word on the Corvette. Still, its not like today where everything has 4 wheel disc. You got 4 wheel discs on exotics and high end luxury cars. I suppose that latter one is what Lincoln was aiming for since nobody is going to mistake a warmed-over Fairmont for an exotic.

The drums really take a dive if you drive through deep water. I used to have this spot I drove through daily that would be about a foot deep whenever it rained, and there was a stop immediately after it. The Beetle was 4 wheel manual drum and stopping that thing after soaking the drums was not fun. I had to ride the brakes through the stream otherwise it just wasn't happening. When I converted it to front disc it stopped being a problem.

Yah, those things even had IRS. About the only "advanced" tech they had going for them. Still handled like poo to those who owned them. I could never get behind those warmed over Fairmonts. I never liked the Seville either, they just looked like the cheap platform cars they were based off of despite the over inflated price tag. At least with Cadillac you got fuel infection and more cubes. Ford just gave you the same bullshit you got with the Fairmont. I suppose Cadillac later made up for it starting in '85 or '86 when they started putting that mushy carpitrated turd 307 in their Fleetwoods...

Surface area helps too I guess. At least with that early Chrysler stuff, they gave you HUGE drums at all four corners, wide too with lots of pad area. Although I never drove that through deep water, just a few heavy storms through Ohio and Western Michigan. I mean don't get me wrong. Of the few people that drove that Fury of mine, they all bitched about the brakes. Emergency/hard stops required two feet, no doubt about it. And stop and go traffic made your leg tired after awhile. When I drove it for a month straight daily, my leg muscles got better and I felt less like a wuss after long drives in it. However, the way my shoulders & back hurt after those drives never got better so I sold that unergonomic turd.

The old one would let me manually flip pages and add to the document, the new one you have to put 8x11 sheets in the automatic feeder to get a multi-page pdf.
    Check to see if it has a "batch" mode, it is likely to have a setting you can adjust.

'10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, Bullitt wheels.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

'91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

not that I've found for manual flip stuff. It also won't let me pick custom sizes, it just has some common presets. The old one was a much better machine in terms of capabilities. It actually had a dedicated computer that went with it and you could do a whole bunch of custom things. It could even scan things into MS Word format and it did a pretty good job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I could never get behind those warmed over Fairmonts. I never liked the Seville either, they just looked like the cheap platform cars they were based off of despite the over inflated price tag.
    yeah the slope back thing was a look for a while in the 80s. I'm not sure anyone understands why it was a thing, but it was. I won't pretend to be a huge fan of it either. The "economy luxury" cars of the period are strange. Fancy trim on fairly pedestrian cars, and they look it. This thing is only cool in how not cool it is. I never had any illusions that its anything but a strange car, but I will admit that I enjoy driving it despite how slow and goofy it is.
    Last edited by gadget73; 08-23-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Dedicated computer? Like a Fiery, Creo or Konica IP?
    Last edited by mitymerc; 08-23-2019 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Speeling

'10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, Bullitt wheels.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

'91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

There are two versions. The 49 state version like mine is a purely mechanical Bosch VE pump. The Cali version and the BMW 524td came with a Bosch VP-20, which is basically the same but with electronic timing control instead of mechanical. All the diesel computer does is control timing based on temperature and engine speed. The mechanical one can only control based on RPM. The computer does have a feedback of sorts. There is an injector with a lift sensor that ties into the computer so it knows exactly when the injectors are firing so timing control is probably more accurate. How much difference that actually makes in terms of emissions and performance, no idea.

...yeah the slope back thing was a look for a while in the 80s. I'm not sure anyone understands why it was a thing, but it was. I won't pretend to be a huge fan of it either. The "economy luxury" cars of the period are strange. Fancy trim on fairly pedestrian cars, and they look it. This thing is only cool in how not cool it is. I never had any illusions that its anything but a strange car, but I will admit that I enjoy driving it despite how slow and goofy it is.
    The Fox based Lincolns are just dandy to me, those drive, look and feel like luxury cars compared to the turd Seville and Versailles. I don't know how the 70's stuff drives but they seem claustrophobic & chincy compared to Panther & Fox stuff.

70s cars seemed to have more hood than anything else. The cabins were not all that big for how massive the car was overall. The Conti is smaller than the Towncar inside but doesn't feel cramped.

The Versailles was a Grenada. The Seville was basically a Nova. Neither were all that impressive, basically lipstick on a ho-hum car. Wiki says that both of those were the top priced models for their brand, which I just can't understand. Who would pay more for a Versailles when its parked next to a Mark V on the lot baffles me. Same with the Seville when you can have a Fleetwood.

70s cars seemed to have more hood than anything else. The cabins were not all that big for how massive the car was overall. The Conti is smaller than the Towncar inside but doesn't feel cramped.

The Versailles was a Grenada. The Seville was basically a Nova. Neither were all that impressive, basically lipstick on a ho-hum car. Wiki says that both of those were the top priced models for their brand, which I just can't understand. Who would pay more for a Versailles when its parked next to a Mark V on the lot baffles me. Same with the Seville when you can have a Fleetwood.
    That reminds me, I remember sitting in a few dead Mark V's at scrap yards and I had a similar impression. I loved how long the hood was but inside it didn't seem much roomier than my Town Car. Although the materials used in the Mark V looked & felt a smidge nicer than the Town Car. Ashley definitely loved it. Was a Bill Blass car.

Exactly my confusion & irritation with the Versailles and Seville. At first I thought they were cheaper luxury alternatives for those who could afford a bit more but not the whole shebang, like the old Cadillac Calais' of the 60's and mid 70's. But nope, just as you said; more expensive yet you get less for your money. I can't believe people bought them, but then again, they bought stupid shit like the pet rock too... Guess they really didn't do their homework and really got sucked into the marketing BS?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    That reminds me, I remember sitting in a few dead Mark V's at scrap yards and I had a similar impression. I loved how long the hood was but inside it didn't seem much roomier than my Town Car. Although the materials used in the Mark V looked & felt a smidge nicer than the Town Car. Ashley definitely loved it. Was a Bill Blass car.

Exactly my confusion & irritation with the Versailles and Seville. At first I thought they were cheaper luxury alternatives for those who could afford a bit more but not the whole shebang, like the old Cadillac Calais' of the 60's and mid 70's. But nope, just as you said; more expensive yet you get less for your money. I can't believe people bought them, but then again, they bought stupid shit like the pet rock too... Guess they really didn't do their homework and really got sucked into the marketing BS?
    Heh. I read recently that the idea was to try and attract younger buyers who were more likely to buy a European luxury car than a Domestic. But what really ended up happening is that they were mostly sold to older people who wanted a traditional American luxury car, but in a smaller and more maneuverable size. So instead of getting younger buyers into the dealership, they just got even older people.

I will say, my Grandma had a slant back Seville. I don't remember what year it was but it was white with a red interior. More than likely bought for her by my Grandpa (her 3rd husband) who was a big Cadillac fan and it would have been from around the time when they got married. They would have been around 40-45 years old, so maybe it did work? They were younger than the "average" Cadillac buyer at the time. At the same time, he had a Deville and a 5.0 Mustang GT fastback. She had that Seville until 2002 when she wanted something newer and smaller and bought a fully loaded Malibu. He had a string of Devilles and a Lincoln or 2 (I remember him loving the redesigned 1998 Town Car enough that he bought a fully loaded Cartier).
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

That's funny. By 1998, Town Cars just got too corporate & cold for me. All the inviting warmth & plush that once was, was all but gone. Once they refreshed the interior & gave it a minor face lift in 1996 or so, I lost interest.

actually for what its worth the Continental was more expensive than the Towncar in 84 too. I expect if you optioned a Towncar to have most of the same stuff the Conti came with you'd end up with a more expensive car.

Conti's & Mark VII's gave you something special though. Conti's had cooler interiors; You got that cool symmetrical dash, a billion lights to warn you about impending doom for your spaceship and spaceship like seats, cool wheels, great sound system, air ride, blah blah blah. Town Cars were old hat. Best trick feature they had was the digi dash and oh, heated mirrors. I also want to say Fox based Lincolns got power mirrors before Panther based Lincolns did.. Going back to the Verwhimpies & Suckville, similar story. No innovation, no trick features or flair which justified the price.

yeah can't argue about the Versailles and Seville being pretty uninspired vehicles. I think the Seville may have had the diesel optional though. That had to count for something. Probably nothing good but hey.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast