1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC repairs: the final frontier

Last week it was time to fix the AC. It was the remaining completely inoperable system on the car and being a fat guy I am no fan of sweating. John (86VickyLX) was kind enough to donate the AC compressor from his car, so on we go. First up, some pics of why I needed to replace the compressor

this is the compressor that was on the car when I got it. What you're looking at is the hub on the front of the compressor where the bearing is retained. Normally there is a retaining ring groove here, note the lack of a groove on this compressor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	damaged compressor.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1283451

Best I can figure is that when the original clutch came apart, the rubber grabbed the retaining ring and spun it until it ground the groove away. When I got it, the clutch was partially engaged because the bearing had nothing to hold it. This is the original clutch plate and hub.

Name:	dead clutch 1.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1283452

So out with the old, in with the new. I got no pics of the process because there just isn't a lot of room. The compressor is below the power steering pump. To extract it, the pulley comes off the PS pump, a J-shaped bracket that the front of the compressor bolts to and which mounts under the PS pulley comes out, the lines are undone, the rear bolts are removed, then a Tetris-like puzzle occurs to fish the compressor out between the trans cooler lines, the front sway bar, the radiator, and all of the other crap that is down in that area. I probably should have dropped the sway bar, it would have made it easier. Also, there are some odd tubes attached to the compressor and some rear "feet" that hang up on things. Observe, on the "new" compressor ready for install.

Name:	new compressor 06.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1283453

I also found the wiring harness and connector were completely shot, so that also got fixed. I had another plug with suitable length wires on hand, and a connector from Napa was 7 bucks. Some crimp connectors, heat shrink, and wire loom put it all back to right.

Name:	clutch harness 03.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1283455

Initial plan was to simply vacuum it and charge it. I couldn't find a drier so I just pumped it for an hour and gave it a go. This worked for about 10 minutes. At some point while I was messing with the electric fan and not watching the gauges, it must have blown the relief valve because I lost most of the refrigerant. Further investigation showed the orifice tube is plugged solid.

Name:	clogged orifice.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1283454

I also found a source for the drier. Old stock, but I did find one. Motorcraft YF-1192.

Name:	new drier 02.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1283456

Name:	new drier 01.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1283457

So with a fresh drier, fresh orifice tube, and after a lot of solvent flushing of the condenser, I now get 42 degrees at the vents. I did consider replacing the condenser but its basically specific to the Continental. Fitting one of the commonly available Fox chassis ones would have needed some probably minor fabrication work to adapt the mounts. In the meantime its working, so F it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      So with a fresh drier, fresh orifice tube, and after a lot of solvent flushing of the condenser, I now get 42 degrees at the vents. I did consider replacing the condenser but its basically specific to the Continental. Fitting one of the commonly available Fox chassis ones would have needed some probably minor fabrication work to adapt the mounts. In the meantime its working, so F it.
      I'm glad to hear you got it working! That compressor treated me well. I replaced my original (bad bearing) with that one. That one was sourced from Project 79 a while back in exchange for some trunk carpeting. Hopefully I can get my a/c back in my vic before it gets real hot. Racecar needs a/c too. And I don't mean R255 either.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Racecar needs a/c too. And I don't mean R255 either.
        In your case, R455 is more better!
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I find that 4 windows open actually works less well than 2 or 3 in the right spot and amount.

That compressor is quiet too. I'd forgotten what these are supposed to sound like. The one on the Towncar still sounds like a dying air raid siren.
          Last edited by gadget73; 05-02-2018, 04:57 PM.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine used to sound like that, or someone shaking a can of spray paint with more than one marble in it.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

My original on the Towncar was rattly, the reman Motorcraft one I installed several years ago seriously sounds like a dying ooga horn. Its horrible. Anyone that has ever ridden in my car has heard it. It works fine, which is the only reason it stays.

Comment

Your exhaust was so loud when I rode in it... I couldn't really hear anything else.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah the drone is something that I'm really quite tired of. Its really bad at about 50 in OD, which seems to be a speed I spend a lot of time at. I did put a bunch of sound damper in the trunk and that helped but now instead of one really sharp loud peak, its a wider but less loud band. Maybe I need a second layer.

Tonight's project was fairly simple but effective. I tripped across some info on another forum that told me that 90s-early 00's Cadillacs had a Homelink compatible garage door opener in their overhead that pops right into the Lincoln overhead. These can be had for about 20 bucks, so I bought one. As advertised, it works fine. Much cleaner than the keychain or visor clip opener method anyway, and it makes use of that slot in the overhead.

Name:	garage door opener.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1283470
                  Last edited by gadget73; 05-03-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Oh, neat. Almost looks like it grew there.

My Town Car has a similar drone. LoPo so it can't be as bad as your '86.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

What is the purpose of that slot with the trap door on it? Is that to plug in a garage door opener?
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Yep, thats the garage door opener slot. THe actual Lincoln pieces are very rare, and completely obsolete now. Its the old style thing with the DIP switches and all that, and it requires the companion receiver to wire into your opener. If you manage to find all the parts, it probably still wouldn't be compatible with most openers made in the last 20 years. Handily Cadillac must have contracted with the same vendor Lincoln did, and they kept the same physical form factor so the late style Homelink openers plug straight into the 1980s Lincoln console and work fine. Visually its not a perfect match, but unless you're looking close its hard to notice. Most importantly to me, it works, it wasn't expensive, and required no effort on my part beyond getting on a ladder to push the button on the opener.

Comment

It would probably work if you wired it to the main wall button. All it needs to do is short the 2 leads there to trigger it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Possible, but finding those parts is like hens' teeth. There is a receiver on ebay now for $150, I haven't seen a transmitter in a good while. I got this thing for 20 bucks and it works with no nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              Possible, but finding those parts is like hens' teeth. There is a receiver on ebay now for $150, I haven't seen a transmitter in a good while. I got this thing for 20 bucks and it works with no nonsense.
                              +1 just use what works.

Comment

I got a haul of junkyard parts, so in the coming days and weeks a lot of that will get installed. In the meantime, a super minor parts update. I de-hooptied the replacement rear tail lights. Someone had added plastic "chrome" trim all over the lenses and it looked stupid. Left and right lenses, so you can see what it should look like vs what had been poorly done.

Name:	0520181959a.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1284038

Name:	0520181959.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1284039

The mostly unsorted pile. There is about 1/2 an interior in here. 3 door panels, 4 door seals, sill trim, B pillar trim, the trim above both doors on the inside, window run felts, C pillar panels with the rear map lights, a non-compass overhead console just because, an instrument cluster, and probably other crap I'm forgetting about. Click image for larger version

Name:	0519182202a.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1284040Click image for larger version

Name:	0519182202.jpg
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1284041

Comment

Working...
                                X