PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

yea I wasn't planning to just paint directly over it. I'll clean it up as best I can with wire brushes first to get rid of the loose crap. Its got loose paint flakes that I can just peel out of there, so that nonsense needs to go otherwise anything I put in there isn't going to stick.

Think I need both the converter and the encapsulator? I was planning to just use the encapsulator.

Inside the bumpers I was going to just wire brush and encapsulate. It doesn't need to be pretty, I just don't want the bumpers rotting from the inside out. The inner bumper support seems to be galvanized and in good shape so I'll probably leave those alone.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

We did the backsides of my dads front and rear bumper for his explorer around april 2017 after he picked them up from a junkyard. He just wire brushed them and then we put the rust encapsulator on. It is blistering through one year later in areas...we seen this after we removed the bumpers to sell them as the truck was getting scrapped. He didnt like the idea of applying the rust converter and waiting the two days, then applying the encapsulator and waiting the day before topcoating.

Ive come to the point with things where if I want it to last I try to do everything possible to get it to do so.

I personally would topcoat the encapsulator as it is kinda like a primer. Majority of primers should be top coated sooner than later so they dont absorb anything.

Even something like rustoleum from a quart can should help out.

I wish you were closer. I purchased a gallon of that rust encapsulator and have much left. A little of that stuff does go a long way.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I'll pick up some of the converter too then. I don't feel like fooling with this again either. Painting over it isn't a big deal, probably will just use some black Rustoleum since I have it. Inside the bumpers same thing, neither spot is visible so appearance doesn't matter. Access is bad inside the cowl though. The hole is probably a foot wide, but the area goes damn near fender to fender. Its basically arm deep to get all the way back inside, and I'll be working completely blind. The only alternative, and one I will not be taking, is to drill a metric fuckload of spot welds out and remove the upper panel for access.
    Last edited by gadget73; 06-07-2018 at 07:21 PM.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910