No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was at the Rock Hill - Carolina Salvage U Pull It yard today, and I saw this - 1984 Lincoln Mark VII Diesel LSC. Need anything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q6T-xrpq4s
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
      So I was at the Rock Hill - Carolina Salvage U Pull It yard today, and I saw this - 1984 Lincoln Mark VII Diesel LSC. Need anything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q6T-xrpq4s
      Dual exhaust? That's surprising.

Gadget - does the Conti have twin pipes?
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Cool find!
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yes, dual exhaust. One downpipe from the turbo but it splits just behind the transmission.

Oh boy, a list of things for the diesel. If you're so inclined to look and/or pull I wouldn't be upset to have any or all of the following if its there. Certainly willing to pay you for your time.

belt tensioner that should live next to the power steering pump. 2 bolts on this one. Looks missing, but just in case its laying around.
          timing belt tensioner, sort of between the water pump and the cam, 8 rib deal. Should be 2 bolts holding that on.
          the neutral / reverse switch on the trans. front driver's side corner, just above the pan rail. One 10mm screw holds a fork on, then it pops out of the hole.
          any coolant hoses that are in decent shape and will come off politely. New ones do not exist, and I'd absolutely love a set to use for mockup purposes even if they aren't quite fit for service.
          boot between the air filter and the turbo if its not split
          On the firewall, basically directly behind the camshaft are a couple of electrical things. The one with a 2 wire connector and a single vacuum hose is the vac switch for the AC. There is a similar looking one basically buried under the air suspension compressor on the driver's inner fender. I think its 2 small nuts or screws holding the bracket on for those. Both of mine are bad.
          if this happens to have the diesel engine owner's manual supplement to the manual in the glovebox I'd love that

mark VII specific, if there is a small grey box in the trunk with the complimentary headlight aimer adapters I wouldn't mind a second set. Mine are cracked and leaky. There may or may not be fog light covers in there, would love a set of those too. Not exactly sure where that may have lived but the box has velcro on it so I'm guessing it was stuck to the carpet.

I really wish the dash bezel was the same on the Conti as the VII, mine had the lens missing and it has since been replaced with one from a gas car. Says "unleaded fuel only" where it should say "diesel fuel only" Sadly it won't swap, and the Continental is even more rare than the VII is. 1515 vs I think 2684 ? Somewhere in the 2600 range.

I most seriously appreciate you thinking of me. Finding parts for these is a massive pain in the ass as you might imagine.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

watching this again, I sort of wonder if this car once belonged to someone I know. Gerry lives somewhere in NC but I don't know precisely where. I know he had a silver diesel LSC, and I think his place got flooded a number of years ago. The car came from PA originally and I actually drove it when it was still up this way, easily 15 years ago. Not sure if it really moved after he got it. He actually asked me if I wanted the car but I passed just because I already had a diesel and a Mark VII so a diesel Mark VII really didn't check any boxes for me.

also those heated seats were a rare option, and only available in 1984. The cloth/leather seats were not standard LSC either, those are the "fat man seats", not the sport seats that were standard on that model.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

oh, I thought of something else

the rear calipers if they aren't a massive lump of rust. New ones are not available anywhere, but rebuild kits are. I'd love to have a set on the shelf with fresh seals just in case.

Comment

Sounds like I have a decent sized shopping list when I get back to South Carolina. I'll keep you posted. We'll figure out prices etc. This yard has stuff that sits for MONTHS. so nothing is going anywhere anytime soon. Rock Hill U Pull it.

Did you want the power seats too? Reskin them with northern upholestery?
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Nah, those seats are very different than the Conti's split bench. I'm sure they could be stuffed in but no center console and all would make it look strange I think.

I'd absolutely love to find a nice set of blue Continental seats, don't even care if they are cloth or leather, but no luck so far. Also shipping seats is a bloody fortune. Thats a thing I'd take a long drive for, just doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise. Mine are pretty solidly shot, the only seat in the entire car that isn't is the rear lower. The rear upper has a couple inches where the leather vaporized years ago, and both front seats have extensive cracking and some tears. Its what you'd expect for old neglected leather seats, which is why I don't like leather seats.

Please do let me know what I'd owe you.

Comment

Nah, those seats are very different than the Conti's split bench. I'm sure they could be stuffed in but no center console and all would make it look strange I think.

I'd absolutely love to find a nice set of blue Continental seats, don't even care if they are cloth or leather, but no luck so far. Also shipping seats is a bloody fortune. Thats a thing I'd take a long drive for, just doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise. Mine are pretty solidly shot, the only seat in the entire car that isn't is the rear lower. The rear upper has a couple inches where the leather vaporized years ago, and both front seats have extensive cracking and some tears. Its what you'd expect for old neglected leather seats, which is why I don't like leather seats.

Please do let me know what I'd owe you.

Comment

This is pretty neat. I was shuttled to school in either an ‘83 or ‘84 Conti as a kid. It had a cell phone on the dash with a somewhat girthy antenna on the rear window.

I remember the dash to be very modern for the time, with simple and clean woodgrain that looked like maple.

Comment

82-83 had a different dashboard. Actually looks a bit more like a Town Car.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...sissippi-39180

has good pics of an 83. Note the coil spring suspension, they didn't get air until '84. The 82-83 stuff is what is under the Mustang SVO.

Comment

82-83 had a different dashboard. Actually looks a bit more like a Town Car.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...sissippi-39180

has good pics of an 83. Note the coil spring suspension, they didn't get air until '84. The 82-83 stuff is what is under the Mustang SVO.

Comment

Yeah definitely an ‘84 as it did have four corner air.

Is this the same BMW derived diesel they put in the Vixen RVs?

Comment

yep, all BMW. Legend has it that the Vixen engines were actually surplus Ford ones from when they canned the diesel Lincoln program. I don't know if this is completely true though. The engine is the same BMW or Ford, but the valve cover has different branding, and the accessories are completely different. No idea what the Vixens got, but the engine is the engine.

The trans in the Vixen is different though, apparently its the same unit used on the DeLorean.

Comment

yep, all BMW. Legend has it that the Vixen engines were actually surplus Ford ones from when they canned the diesel Lincoln program. I don't know if this is completely true though. The engine is the same BMW or Ford, but the valve cover has different branding, and the accessories are completely different. No idea what the Vixens got, but the engine is the engine.

The trans in the Vixen is different though, apparently its the same unit used on the DeLorean.

Comment

Working...
                                X